Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 6:24PM Joshinu said

My friend and I played APB Reloaded last night after updating and I didn't really look into what exactly the patch included but I did notice a lot of files in the download were "blocks" and some stuff with textures. I didn't realize they did more to the matchmaking process but I'd have to say it worked REALLY well last night.

Usually my friend and I are matched against people that are rank 140+ with full character mods, gun mods, vehicle mods the works. When we were that mis-matched it was a lesson in futility in our attempts to take them down. Now though it is way better balanced, going up against players at or around out rank/gear level. In the cases that we get pitted against a set of four players with premium accounts and mods galore, we had at least 6 people on our side trying to take them down.

Normally we would look at their gear and say "well this is pointless, let's just go have a bit of fun" but that wasn't the case. We had some of the closest missions we've ever had last night and enjoyed our game time immensely. While there were a few instances where we would get taken out by one of their group members from a few blocks away when they just had an assault rifle of sorts, there was a lot of give and take and the competition was pretty tight. Kudos to Gamersfirst for fixing some of this stuff.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 8:15PM Space Cobra said

Well, that's very good to hear!

A month or so ago, I was in a similar situation of a mismatch and I just played and tried, but kept getting shot up. I didn't expect to win, but just gave it the "good college try" and be a sport and not auto-quit, yah know?

I think my skills are decent in general, but my character and gear are low.

So then the guy just flat out says we suck and lols (there were two of us getting owned by him). I mean, that kinda thing is usual online, but it sorta just made me sour on APB reloaded. Only one careless uninformed comment. Anyway, I got over it, but I was thinking "Why bother?" if I can't even set up a decent challenge at that time?

So, this is good to hear.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 8:28PM Robot Monster said

Logged in right after the patch, and I and my clanmates thought it the lag spikes and performance were worse than before the patch. PLUS, there are 10 less people allowed per district -- so, in theory, performance should have gotten better. G1 is doing a lot of work, too. In the couple hours we played, they took down both districts we played in.

That being said, I have no doubt these bugs will get ironed out. IMHO, G1 has really been on the ball with administering this game. APBR is just an amazing and awesomely fun game.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 8:39PM Airdefier said

• 1 heart
Do not let them fool you, this game is ruined with aimbots, hackers, and server lag. IF they got rid of those 3 things the game would be great. Plus the matchmaking system is still messed up (matching noobs against vets). The only way to be competitive is to buy guns that cost G1 points which is paid for with real money. This game needs to be in the hands of a development team that actually cares about the game.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:09PM Robot Monster said

@Airdefier

I respectfully disagree.

The hacker problem is very small. I won't lie, you do run into the occassional one - but nothing like the RTW days. (And I think the claims then were very much exaggerated.) I've logged 150 hours and had maybe half a dozen missions where I suspected haxors. If you find it unplayable because of haxors, I think you probably should log some more hours and get a better handle on the game. The shooting mechanics are closer to counterstrike than anything (sans headshots), so sub-standard play isn't always apparent from the shooter's POV.

There are occasional district wide lag spikes (If I had to guess, maybe 1 every 30 minutes, rarely does it happen at a critical point in the gameplay). If you find it unplayable because of lag, I think there probably is a problem with either your system or ISP.

Pay to Win (ie purchase of guns) does not control. One clanmate used nothing but the basic starter gun for a long time. This is very much a skillbased, teambased shooter. In no way do the premium guns break the game.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:16PM Robot Monster said

The APBR community is full of griefers.

Personally, I find it an entertaining part of the game. It's pure PVP -- so they are providing game content.

I would advise you to embrace yr inner troll. If you aren't smacktalking, yr doing it wrong.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:16PM Robot Monster said

Above post meant for Space Cobra.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:30PM 2DruNk2FraG said

I've put in about 18 hours over the last week and I really am enjoying this game. Sure, its not perfect, but it is way better than I expected for a free game. I haven't had seen any hackers, and most of the time the matchmaking system does a good job. I think that after a few unlocks anyone can be competitive with people that have been playing much longer.

I'm not sure how long i'll be playing this game or if I'll ever spend any money in there store, but I highly recommend checking it out --- but for now I'm having a blast.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 12:20AM antagonistyahoocom said

I hear good things about this game lately.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 12:29AM Airdefier said

• 1 heart
@ Robot Monster

a better handle? Ive been playing since G1 got a hold of it. I'm not saying its totally unplayable. But a lot of people has quit due to the hackers, and lag problems alone.

And now post patch you can lose a mission and lose a rank, then win 5 missions against higher ranks, and your rank never changes. They address the issues on facebook but its like a "well get to it eventually" attitude.

It's also nothing close to counterstrike at all. Its closer to a Wide-scale Grand Theft Auto. The hit box needs to be better, a foot shot or a shot to the head, it doesn't matter it equals the same damage. I've tried to love this game, and I don't know if they are waiting for to fix these problems until the finished product is out, but its daunting.

And skill based? don't make me laugh. yes skill helps but a whisper will beat anything close range

I understand YOU like the game the way it is now.

but you don't know what you are talking about.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 2:58AM foofad said

@Airdefier

Gonna have to disagree with you just like the other fellow.

Guys with Whispers get wrecked all the time by PMGs. I know because I have one. An OCA with a cooling jacket or a plain old PMG give you a run for your money. An upgraded PMG will kill you. The TTK on PMG is noticeably higher than a Whisper. Whispers are actually pretty overmatched against the plain jane premade upgraded SMGs.

And if you get pitted against a medium or long ranged gun in a situation in which you can't dictate range, you're screwed. That's called balance. It isn't perfect, but nothing ever is. Even Counterstrike's weapons aren't completely balanced.

Footshots are fine. The hitboxes are fine. They keep the game moving by making sure that there are some places where you can never get 100% cover. Notice a lot of the architecture is the perfect height to cover everything but the very top of your head, and you can be shot to death under cars. This keeps things fluid by preventing cover stalemates and it eliminates some camping. It's a good thing.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 4:29AM thedude657 said

I just started playing it about a week ago. So much more fun than I thought it was going to be and it works well with 3d vision and surround sound :)

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 7:44PM DrOoo said

Everytime I hear about this game I hear more and more good things. People seem to really enjoy it and the community seems all right for a shooter. I've watched a lot of videos and the game does seem to have a nice flow and a pretty good feel.

I used to play CS competitively back in the CAL and CPL days and I still follow the scene thanks to the guys over at hltv.org and hoping to have a MMO with a similar feeling and precision that CS had is unrealistic. Even in dedicated servers with 10 people you could have registration problems (i.e. a clear headshot completely missing) so obviously G1 had to do some adjustments on the hitboxes and hit scan. As long as the game rewards skills instead of money spent and there is a decent (not perfect) balance in the firepower this game can keep growing. I mean 90% of the people can't be wrong. It might not be the next eCocaine but it will have a healthy community.

Now I do have a question. How demanding is the game graphics because the vids I've seen are at full graphics and while the game does look pretty good I just don't see my laptop running it.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 8:13PM foofad said

@DrOoo The game doesn't need a super powerful graphics card. What it does need is a 64bit OS, a lot of high clock ram (would reccomend 4gb of 1600mhz minimum) and a newer generation processor. If you are missing two of the three, I wouldn't even bother. It's ridiculously demanding in weird ways.

There's a lot of pay to win stigma over the "premium" items. But ultimately the stats of a premium weapon can be matched or outmatched with upgraded non-premium weapons, so in the end it's really not a huge deal.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 8:08PM Bramen said

I played alot of APBR tonight! Fun, my only serious complaint with the game is that more often then not my enemy player will just be a floating afro and eyeballs. Not that big of a deal but it makes it hard to spot the player with that going on. Lost a few close missions because I just did not notice the other player. Oh well.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2011 10:26PM Plastic said

I've been playing this game since the big patch, and I have to say I'm enjoying it WAY more than I thought I would. It could be do to the fact that I'm playing with a group of friends over teamspeak, but I'm having a blast. So far it seems to offer a good balance of twitch-combat, strategy, character-progression, and random chaos.

Posted: Jul 25th 2011 4:29AM nevin said

My first real mission just put me off. Matched against a guy who I didn't even see and took me out just ridiculously easily..multiple times. Yes I was new, yes it's a pvp game but I expected to be eased into it a little bit better than what to my mind was just a gank fest.
If they've changed this sort of experience then all the better.

The tutorial also needed some serious attention as it was lacking in many many aspects of the game and that was just the little bit I experienced.

The full scoop on Marvel Heroes' team-ups