Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:05PM Bramen said

If only I could sling shot effect by running as fast as I could around my living room lamp and not buy the lifetime sub to STO. /sigh

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:18PM (Unverified) said

Cryptic really, really needs to announce a STO freemium plan.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:26PM BluegrassGeek said

@(Unverified) I doubt that they can. An IP like Star Trek has a licensing fee that may make freemium play impossible to be profitable.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:22PM Gryphmon said

"Hello, computer (and players)! The slingshot effect is a maneuver, shown thought* the Star Trek franchise, which allowed starships to move back through the time continuum."

*Apparently the slingshot effect has adversely affected the Enterprise's spelling checker. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:25PM (Unverified) said

@Gryphmon Thanks, LOL. Fixed!

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:43PM Luxxicon said

I haven't played STO in about a year, but just resubbed to check out the all the changes. Some things have changed for sure!

Luxx

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 2:03PM seannewboy said

I love the new borg cube, very smexy.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 2:29PM thehiredgun said

The borg cube looks soooo much better!

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 2:52PM Faryon said

"To me, this makes sense and I think it is a great way to allow those without the IRL funds to still acquire C-Store items."

I fully support alternative ways of getting C-Points, but to make them exchangeable for an endgame currency is imo an extremely bad idea. Yes, this change will allow players with little disposable income to still get C-Store items, but at the same time it will also allow players who have a lot of cash to spend to effectively buy endgame currency for RL money.

Some on the forum thread have tried to argue that this change could stabilize the current ingame economy, but that's just plain wrong since it will only create a new economy based on converting RL cash to C-Points to Emblems and Emblems to C-Points.

As I have said earlier I fully support alternate ways of getting C-Store items, but I really hope Cryptic will reconsider this point and keep RL cash far away from endgame currency.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 5:06PM WyattEarp89 said

@Faryon

Actually you can already do that on the Federation side with the two Bridge Officers. So those with money to spend are already doing it just not on the KDF side since they do not have any bridge officers to purchase and sell. The Borg Officer is account only so it can't be sold anywhere.

I will admit that I have put them up onto the exchange if I have some left over Cryptic Points and don't want to buy anything else. I don't do it often though.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 4:04AM Lionhearted said

Wow -- allowing real game money to buy in game currency... Sadly, that's an MMO jumping the shark. /sigh

I liked STO, too, but out of principal I don't think I could go back now.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 3:00PM Cavadus said

@Lionhearted

EVE does it.

At any rate, y'all are focusing on the wrong part of the equation. This will allow veteran players to earn C-Store items *FOR FREE*.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 11:26AM (Unverified) said

I played STO from beta until the second massive nerf to space combat. this game has become the lowest common denominator of MMO's. It is nothing more than a cash grab being forced on every star trek fanboy and they continue to feed the ugly beast. The pvp is a ghost town that is filled with "captain kirk" playerts that want to be able to solo 5 players at once and win then cry like the inexperienced MMO players that they are until Dstahl caters to thier lack of skills and makes things so watered down that anyone with any real player skill leaves. The "endgame" is pathetic at best, the ground combat redux is still patheticly boring and stale. All star Trek canon has been thrown to the wind in an effort to pad back accounts. buyer beware STO is a waste of time and money.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories