Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:18PM PanamaAlex said

Interesting. I've been looking into recreating some characters I created in my childhood as well. Unlike you, I used to write. Drawing was never my strong suit. I'm curious to see how your journey down this path goes.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:30PM (Unverified) said

That actually sounds.... really interesting Beau. At first I was going to be like "TROLOLOLOL TLDR COOL STORY BRO", and then I read it completely, tried to comprehend where you came from, and found that I was enjoying the read.

Good work.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:31PM Plastic said

No lie, I've spent more time in Champion Online's character creation screen than in the actual game...and I'm ok with that.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:51PM C Rose said

Why you creative little....!

Hehe. Nice one. :)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:14PM DevilSei said

When I got into the beta before release, I remember trying to create one of my biggest characters. I just couldn't do it though. While it had a deep amount of customization, it refused to allow certain pieces to fit with others. A pair of jeans from one "style" so to speak, would instantly be discarded because I slipped on a coat from another "style" I spent a good 10-15 minutes fighting with it before I said screw it.

It was also at a time when Melee powers sucked horribly so... yeah, I didn't last long at all and quickly got tired of the game.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:19PM DevilSei said

@DevilSei

Funnily enough, I actually had zero issues with making him and his evil counterpart in City of Heroes/Villains.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:18PM Arkanaloth said

VERY interesting read, I very recently made another champions alt but I too wanted someone a bit more "every day", out of that desire came Riley, just a kid who's ridiculously strong wearing ripped up bell bottom jeans and a T with a knit cap.

secondarily, another artistic type... I started off like a lot of kids in the comic / superhero area but veered *sharply* away from it somewhere around 6th / 7th grade. Still love drawing people but I don't think I've even considered a superhero type sketch in the better part of 20+ years.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 5:29PM Beau Hindman said

@Arkanaloth Make yourself sit down sometime and try it again. I have found that the ability never leaves us, even when we take breaks for months or even years. These days I do more sketchy/liney stuff, real artsy crap. lol But I enjoy it.

Beau

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 6:24PM Arkanaloth said

@Beau Hindman Oh no no, I didn't mean to imply I don't draw anymore, I live and breathe drawing... I just don't do the superhero stuff anymore.

I finished that one last month for the back of my wife's iPhone.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 4:22AM Space Cobra said

@Arkanaloth

Well, *I* needed that comment! ;P

Due to certain RL considerations and having my life veer from a direction I had planned, I sorta gave up being an artist.

But I need to get back into it and draw daily, but I realize I need someone to put a deadline on me that keeps me pushed/motivated (Like work or school to turn in projects.)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:20PM BigAndShiny said

Can't you just turn off comic outlining. (or outlines, if that isn't a word)

I hated coming outlines. Also, if you have a high end PC, try typing in chat '/renderscale 2' because that makes the game 1000x better looking.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 5:08PM Arkanaloth said

@BigAndShiny

I turned off outlines.. I'll try that renderscale command tonight. :D

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 5:30PM Beau Hindman said

@BigAndShiny I'll try that too.

Beau

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:35PM StClair said

Emo Lad.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:58PM Zuljundwumn said

"It felt as though the game didn't take itself seriously. Now, however, it seems to have been polished up and a much smoother experience"

Exactly. For long champs had this feeling of being totally silly. Cheap storytelling and bad voiceovers, that was the content. I remember when playing the demonflame beta, there was this passage where the Demonkey "jokes" about your character not being worth the time it would take to kill him, after menacing him in a long useless speach.
I thought "...What the hell ? The dialogues are written by a 10 years old or what ?"

I felt really bad about paying for such a crappy storytelling.
Anyway, they really improved the quality of the quests and stories since Demonflame (Resistance and aftershock are a real pleasure to play), too bad the game relies too much on instancing, instead of focusing on new outdoor maps.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 6:30PM Sente said

The two major turn-offs for me with Champions Online has been what you mention:

1. Not quite taking itself seriously and just being goofy.

2. Not being able to make a character that looks perhaps a bit sinister and not all-heroic without looking goofy or ugly - which is much easier to do in City of Heroes.

Will have to have a look on the latest content updates to see how it is now - being a lifetimer should pay off at some point hopefully ;)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 8:05PM PanamaAlex said

@Sente On your two points:

1. I agree with you on the first point. Especially with all the lore available in the Champions source books. It's a shame really. I spend most of my time on CO waiting for the ability to create your own missions so that we can attempt to recreate the lore form the books.

2. It would be interesting to have a villainous side like City of Villains. It would also change the nature of PvP. But more to your point, darker heroes would be nice to have, they just need to deal with your first point. I would hate to make such a cool dark hero only to have someone run up and say: "Hey it's (insert hero name), he's had a bit of an ego since the Qularr invasion." Totally kills the mood.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 3:05AM Zuljundwumn said

@PanamaAlex

Well... Half the playerbase plays a demon or a "darkhero666fromhell", and every month craptic puts on sale a device which allows you to become a mob, like a vampire or so. Champions online is slowly changing into "nemesis online" anyway.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 3:20AM StClair said

@Zuljundwumn:
It's all a Nemesis plot.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 4:06AM Lenn said

So, where's the screenshot of Super-Beau?