Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:35PM Dril said

@DeadlyAccurate

I disagree. I think there should be enough of each sphere of content to get 75% of the way there, but there should be some branching out.

People often don't explore other options if there's one easy path. It's high time devs made players go see the game, not just frolick through one road of it.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 5:11PM alucard3000 said

@Dril maybe some dont want developers to force them to play a game that they are paying to play any other way than the way they "enjoy" playing it.To me when you start doing that you are taking away what I consider enjoyable to try to make me enjoy what you think is and I will tell you right now it wont happen and most of the time if it gets to that point I will just stop paying you to play your game.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:31AM Arkanaloth said

@JohnLane

Just cause I know myself well enough to leave the open world PVP games to the people that enjoy them is no cause for alarm, feel free to play them all you like, I'll be playing something else, and the world keeps spinning.

Cash shops or FTP games are a fine way to kill time between the big game releases.... but I will go back to the TOR beta soon, and look forward to it's release and GuildWars2 can't come out fast enough.

Lastly, while "teh" is the current meme and girnds is a simple typo I can ignore, it's "there" not "their" and "too" not "two".

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:40AM Enaijo said

Absolutely stunning

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:42AM Snichy said

@(Unverified). Don't give him the satisfaction of responding. It is clear he is obviously acting stupid on all these articles on purpose to get the attention that he doesn't get in real life.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:47AM Snichy said

@Arkanaloth. Don't give him the satisfaction of responding. It is clear he is obviously acting stupid on all these articles on purpose to get the attention that he doesn't get in real life (part 2)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:51AM Snichy said

This is a game I have really started to look forward to, but I am DETERMINED not to have any expectations about it until release and feedback from players as it could all end in so much disappointment...!

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 11:53AM Grumms said

JohnLane, please stop posting pointless blather in EVERY article. Jesus.

Anyway, ArcheAge is one of my most anticipated games yet! I watched the live streams every single day that the CBT3 was open. It really is coming along really nicely.

This video just goes to show that this game is a beauty. I can't wait to have a house on a cliffside. :)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:02PM real65rcncom said

Okay:

- game looks IMMENSE! Man, last time I saw a world looked this big it was in Vanguard.

- horse bends down to actually eat grass while in standing still. Very nice touches. Starting the horse you 'kick' it like in AoC. Another nice detail. Horse swims!?!? Horse DIED?!?!

- Dreaded yellow "?" quest markers. Could have thought of something better.

- The beginning zones remind me of a pleasant "RIFT" environment.. much better than the dark world of Rift.

- Sea area with the rocks reminds me of Final Fantasy. It really hit me in the head when I saw that airship flying overhead! Airship casts a huge shadow on the ground.

Nicely done!

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:11PM Jorev said

The world looks great, the various realistic travel modes are a positive design feature, but I have two criticisms.

First off why do all asian developers model the character weapons to be unrealistically large? Is this some penis size insecurity issue? It's just not believable to wield a sword as long as your body and therefore diminishes realism which is a bad thing.

Second, I am disappointed to see yet another MMO incorporate the stupid unrealistic floating icons above NPCs heads. Why have most developers succumbed to this dumb philosophy that gamers need to be treated as stupid and lazy, unable to interact with NPCs without this immersion breaking, handholding design aspect? Players should be expected to treat NPCs as real characters and therefore interact with them, not be shown in advance who has something noteworthy to say.
I think it would be reasonable once you have met a certain NPC, for that NPC to contact you via the in-game mail system if they needed your assistance and you qualified for the assignment via level, skill, or faction, but these stupid unrealistic floating icons need to go.
And no it's not enough to simply add an on/off switch. Including them at all shows the developer lacks a fundamental understanding and appreciation for a true virtual MMO experience.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 1:18PM Nepentheia said

@Jorev

I couldn't agree with you more about this absurd mechanic! :-)

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:14PM alzeer said

o.O mounts can be killed?
that is new

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:25PM (Unverified) said

@alzeer No, it's not new if you had been paying attention to ArcheAge before this video. Read the articles on ArcheAge-Online.com. They go back an entire year.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 5:25PM Apakal said

@(Unverified)

I think he means in the grand scheme of things. ArcheAge might have been talking about it for a year, but what other game has that?

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 8:03PM (Unverified) said

@Apakal You're right, not many do.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:18PM Ryn said

I usually don't come to Massively for the Chuckles, but....

LMAO!!!! John Lane has the market cornered on typos and sentences that make no sense!

I was laughing so hard my Wife asked if I was going to make it!

Damn you guys are funny. Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Typos For Teh Win!

Hope I didn't misspell anything here, I'll never hear the end of it.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:32PM aurickle said

There are a few things in there that caught my interest, beyond just the very pretty graphics.

When she accidentally moused over a big tree there was a "use" icon that popped up. Apparently, the tree can be harvested. Maybe actually cut down?

Two people sharing the horse at the end. How long has it taken WoW to get mounts that can be shared?

I was also startled by the fact that the dragon actually killed the horse. I wonder if she then had to buy a new one or if it respawns/can be resurrected? Either way, it's a nice touch.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:43PM (Unverified) said

Teh was the current meme in '02. :P anyways, can't wait for this game, for exploration alone. It's good to see freedom back in a game.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 12:47PM (Unverified) said

that was @Arkanaloth btw.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 1:30PM Bramen said

FFA pvp might be interesting. It will really make you appreciate your friends. Not grieving people would be a good way to earn your reputation on the server.

Something to think about.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM