Posted: Jul 19th 2011 6:23PM Miffy said

• Half a heart
All them MMOs got cancelled or bought out by another studio and they failed (proving my point) for a reason. None of them would have been any good. in fact if anyone in charge just tried any of the MMOs in the past 5 years they would have all been cancelled. EA really needs to cancel SWTOR because Bioware haven't had a major commercial hit yet, Mass Effect didn't sell that much. I do not understand why they would bet 100+ million on any dev other than Blizzard because they wont ever get it back on SWTOR lol. You can see a game flop from the character models and animations alone, SWTORs just look plastic and animate like cardboard.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 6:37PM BigAndShiny said

@Miffy
I don't think SW:TOR looks too bad visually. In 5 years it will (if it's even around).

It's just to much money to bet. It's like Microsoft going "Hey lets spend $30,000,000,000 (30 billion) making the next xbox because if it's as successful as the Wii, it'll make double that. And hey, let's make it exactly like the Wii, but with only one awesome new feature. (apparently)

Because nothing can 'beat' WoW, apart from a combination of itself, Blizz's next MMO, and I would say 4-6 'big' MMOs (imho), there's no point gambling so much money

You know what I think happened? EA started SW:TOR when everyone thought they could have the next wow, and never had the balls/honesty/intelligence to cancel it, so they pressed forward and now with every day they grow more fearful.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 6:54PM (Unverified) said

@Miffy

I would like some of what you are smoking, because apparently it takes you to alternate realities. Bioware is one of the most successful developers going. Baldur's Gate. Neverwinter Nights. Knights of the Old Republic. Mass Effect. Dragon Age. Critical and commercial successes.
So yeah, try again.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:04PM Issmir said

@Miffy

Errr... you do realize that Bioware is one of the most successful studios in the western world, right?

I mean, I'm not looking forward to TOR in any way, but I can't cite the lack of a major hit by the developer as a cause.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:27PM wufiavelli said

@BigAndShiny The whole lets beat wow thing is more a business myth create by players. All these flopping games are making money. Rift made money, dcuo i am pretty sure did, aoc did, war did. People played them for 2 or 3 months then quit, like they do most games. Like wow where people sign up for 2 or 3 months then quit after each expansion.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 8:45PM antagonistyahoocom said

@Miffy

Although SWTOR certainly looks underwhelming, I doubt it will be a flop commercially. There are enough star wars fanboys to see to that.

It won't be anything like WoW in terms of subscriptions, you can count on that.

In my mind BioWare had a spotless record until DA:2. Hopefully a lukewarm SWTOR reception will take them down a few notches. Their ego could stand some bruising.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:55AM Lenn said

@Miffy Feeling better?

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:20PM Space Cobra said

I remember this game, but I only loosely followed it.

From my observation of the trailer (opinion) the graphics look good for that time; almost "console". Not saying it would've been put on console, but I am sensing a "Lobby" mechanic here, sorta like current NeverWinter but with access to a general big server in addition to private ones that just you or you and friends can play in.

Must say, it's a pretty neat concept that probably coulda worked well, but it does look like MMO aspects were limited; Microsoft would probably try to put this on XBox now if it could. I do like having the devout followers as part of your armies, but yes, very much a "single-player" looking thing in my opinion with some multi-player.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:43PM Saker said

I was so looking forward to this game! Ah such wonderful potential lost... Always about the filthy money-men, a curse on what laughingly passes for their souls.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 8:33PM DevilSei said

MMO based off the most badass set of mythology ever? Consider me your devoted fan!

Killed off by Microsoft... yeah not surprised...
Well... I still got Odin Sphere and the Valkyrie Profile games at least...

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 8:52PM antagonistyahoocom said

Wow after seeing that video...

I would've cancelled it too.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 3:59AM Lenn said

@antagonistyahoocom Why? It looks damn good for a 2003 MMO. Character models look a little CoHish and the scenery wouldn't be out of place in a game like WoW.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 10:11PM Snorii said

As you can guess (I uploaded that video to youtube), I was really wanting this game to see the light of day. I was really disappointed that Microsoft dropped the project to focus on Vanguard only to drop out of that project as well.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:04AM Stormwaltz said

Mythica would have had horribly broken chat if it had shipped. Remember the chat system in Asheron's Call 2? That was actually coded for Mythica, and Microsoft compelled Turbine to - for all intents and purposes - beta test it for them in AC2.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:13PM Jenks said

Another MMO that Microsoft squashed was Champions Online on the 360. Cryptic said for months the game was done, but Microsoft just wouldn't OK it, or the patch process (something to that effect) and it was never released. It's a shame, I feel like I would enjoy that game more on a console.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 4:26PM Jenks said

Second thought:

I don't feel like games are canceled like they used to be. Games like Mythica, True Fantasy Live Online, Ultima Online 2... they weren't going to succeed, so they were outright axed.

Somewhere along the line, something changed. Whether it's F2P, or companies not regarding their brand as highly, companies seem to be willing to release a pile of shit to see if it will float. It sucks, so what, release it and see what happens. We didn't get enough subscribers? Screw it, throw in a cash shop and go F2P.

When these games were cancelled, I always remembered thinking "I wish they'd just release what they've got!" But now that companies are actually doing that, I think I miss the days of bad games dying quietly with dignity.