Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:25PM Space Cobra said

Ah, I think I remember Brendan from the STO boards now! Sheesh, I needed a memory jog! :D

And that's pretty great. A dinner at a restaurant, assuming the event does not grow too big and they can fit everyone in. Maybe you guys may need to book the whole restaurant, just in case?

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:30PM Wic said

• 1 heart
Cryptic were a one hit wonder with CoX happily ncsoft now have full rights to that. I actually wish media outlets would stop reporting about their games.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:46PM Dril said

@Wic

Remember, most of Cryptic that made CoX is actually the subsidiary Paragon Studios now. New Cryptic is a third cousin at best.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:44PM Dril said

@JohnLane

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:53PM Interitus said

It was a bit foolish to book for Friday. Friday and Saturday are the busiest days of the con, if it was Thursday I would have probably gone, but Friday? Doubt it.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:54PM HiroProtagonist7 said

I was really excited about STO then disappointed, then angry.

They had the ground combat 2.0 patch coming up and I owned the game anyway so I paid the $15 or whatever to sub for a month. I'm doing all the missions set to advanced and having fun so far. I haven't done any of the episodes, but the player generated missions have been fun.

The combat feels better now and the animations have improved. I like the ship's interior too - walking around with all those people on your ship feels pretty cool, though if I could do it, they'd all be in the brig for not saluting.

What I'd still like to see is at least being able to travel through warp inside your ship. A working view screen for mission dialog and you wouldn't think tossing an Avatar up and adding ship to ship voice communication between players would be too much of a technical leap. I'd like more in-ship content in general I guess. Star Trek happened on the ship. IMHO launching without it was like launching Star Wars without Spaceships. bazinga! hehe.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 8:01PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@HiroProtagonist7

FYI - if they charge for any of the rest of the ship, besides skins or something, Imma chargin mah salvo

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 8:14PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, probably - thought I had myself covered with "so far."
We do have something in common though - obviously you were really looking forward to the game too. Seriously though, less monster or remember your meds or something. I didn't kick your kitten.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2011 1:20PM Cavadus said

@(Unverified)

I recently resubbed to check out the new ground combat as well, which was what drove me to unsub two months after release, and was pleased with that aspect. Ground AI, both friendly and enemy, still leaves much to be desired.

That aside, I've experienced a dirth of new content. There are three seasons worth of feature episodes and they completely revamped the endgame Borg PvE content. Now that the Borg's shields properly adapt they can be quite the experience on advanced and elite difficulties.

And there's plenty of gear to be had. The Aegis stuff from crafting, Breen stuff from that season's episodes, that nice Reman shield from the Romulan/Reman episodes, and then of course the Borg set from the STFs.

Not trying to be a fanboi and I despised the game at launch outside of the space combat (though it still irks the hell out of me that I can't simply fly up) but from Season 4's release day to now I've been having a lot more fun than I ever thought I would. The Foundry missions have been fantastic as well. I highly recommend you check out one called "Conjoined" if you haven't already; it was brilliant and felt like a classic episode of TNG or something.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 9:23PM Rhazes said

I bought the game off Amazon digital for $2.75 took less than 3 weeks to beat all content and most of the achievements. Never had to pay for the sub. First 30 days come with purchase of game.

If your looking for a cheap MMO for 30 days give it a shot. If your looking for long term investment this isn't it. I love Star Trek, I been a fan since season 1 of TNG and own all the dvd seasons from TNG- Enterpise.

Cryptic can makes games so fast because they have little content and no long term playability. The asshats who let cryptic get the Star Trek license should be tar and feathered.

Posted: Jul 20th 2011 2:17AM (Unverified) said

I say if you don't mind playing a game casually (and by that I mean a couple of times a week max) this is a perfect game. I have a great time playing through it at a leisurely pace. I've played off and on since released, have about 330 days elapsed on my subscription ticker, and only have a single rank 2 Commander.

I take my time, enjoying the quests, reading every piece of lore and dialog, and I'm having fun. Then again, I'm a big Star Trek fan in the first place, and I'll be the first to admit that if this wasn't a Star Trek game I might not have stuck with it so long.

It gets better with every Season update, and this current game is an order of magnitude better than what was released at launch.

I guess if you can actually burn through everything and get to max level in 3 weeks, well...I don't even know what to say. I can't even conceive of playing a single game for that long each day. But as a casual and solo friendly game, there's nothing I'd rather be playing than STO.

One Shots: Hello, autumn