Posted: Jul 17th 2011 8:09AM FrostPaw said

Great games are great because lot's of people worked hard and made good decisions. I can't think of anything more unjust than to pick one person and say it was great because of "him"

Team's are great, individuals are not. Bethesda, Blizzard, Valve etc release great games year after year inspite of people leaving and being hired on a regular basis.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 8:42AM MMOaddict said

Yeah, I'd have to go with teams, not individuals. These games aren't one man shows and most of the game directors will tell you the same, I'm sure.

So, on that note, I would have a mix of Trion with Blizzard with Arena Net.

On Bench, would be Bioware, ONLY because they don't have an MMORPG live yet.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 8:49AM belgeode said

If i had to pick a team, my team would consist of ArenaNet and Trion. The playbook however would be written by coach Raph Koster.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 8:51AM Jorev said

I wish Sid Meier would develop a MMO.
It would be a sandbox with many avenues of pursuit, would require a player to think, as was the case back in the day, to strategize and problem solve. Wouldn't that be refreshing.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 12:50PM Saker said

@Jorev And there would be entirely valid fully fleshed-out non-combat avenues to pursue, it wouldn't be necessary to fight to "advance". It wouldn't be "class"/"level" based.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 8:07PM Zenn said

@Saker You mean like mabinogi?

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 9:04AM alzeer said

a perfect mmo for me would mix of eastern/western teams
story: bioware or even SE
gameplay design/balance: blizzard
monsters design : ncsoft/korean in general
zones design : arenanet
cutscenes: SE
dungeons : turbine

i know many would disagree with my choices but that how i see them

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 9:10AM (Unverified) said

Would choose a combo of the Perpetuum and Trion devs/GM's.
Sandbox.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 9:34AM Wisdomandlore said

I'm going to pick developers who haven't made MMOs yet:

Game Freak (Pokemon)
Nintendo
CD Projekt (Witcher)
Rockstar

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 5:00PM Furdinand said

@Wisdomandlore A pokemon MMO would be cool. Although the games themselves seem to be inching that direction with all the wireless gameplay options and the Dreamworld.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 9:48AM Omegamaniac said

I will tell you who I would NEVER have on my team:

1. Ralph Koster
2. Brad McQuaid
3. Jeff Kaplan
4. Alex Asfrabiabi
5. Ghostcrawler
6. Mark Jacobs

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

@Omegamaniac

Who is this RALPH Koster at the top of your list?

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 10:36AM Borick said

Hm. If I had to pick a winning team to create an MMO...

Travis Baldree, Max and Erich Schaefer and Peter Hu. Get Matt Uelmen to do the music.

But that could never happen.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 11:36AM Seffrid said

@Omegamaniac

So you're not ruling out Derek Smart then ;)?

Mixing and matching is never good for business. It ends up with petty squabbling over who does what and when. I'd back Trion run by Scott Hartsman, and if by any remote chance it went wrong I'd pull in Craig Morrison to put it right! Of course, they'd be working on the long overdue UO2 (for which Richard Garriott would not be on the team as his mind has been on other things since midway through Tabula Rasa's development)!

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 12:54PM Utakata said

@Omegamaniac

With my limited understanding of industry heads, I'm not sure why you chose those peeps. Instead here's my list of who not to have would be with a bit of perspective:

1) Bill Roper - He's still the brand name that comes to my mind with all that went wrong with Champions Online long after he's gone. Maybe all the problems wern't his fault, but then before that was there was his Flagship Studios.

2) Derek Smart - Yeah, I know Alganon dong supposedly much better at the helm, but what a trolling asshat he is. And does my gaming business need something like that? Just saying.

3) Paul Barnett - AKA, Mr. Paul "Warhammer will be the Led Zeppelin of MMO's" Barnett in a pair of sunglasses. It's doesn't need to be mentioned that game far fell from that expectations..with it's 50 plus servers imploding into something less than 5 I understand. Like with Roper...maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, but he has to me symbolised all that went wrong with the game. Unfortunately, unlike Roper...he's still working for Mythic.

4) Tom Chilton - WoW has gone south after this bungling fool took over the helm from Jeff Kaplan. Before that, there was his pet project called Arenas and the attempt to balance the entire game around 2v2. And again like Roper at Cryptic, was likely promoted to top dog threw the Peter Principle. Nice he has Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street for the vocal fall guy.

There are likely others out there, perhaps even far worse...but in my opinion these are the ones that come to my mind when it comes to not hiring for my dream game.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 1:27PM belgeode said

@(Unverified) Raph Koster was the REAL genius behind SWG. Before Sony and LA turned the IP into what it is today. His sandbox ideas are still influencing game designers today. Not sure why the dude you are referencing does NOT like him, but you gotta give the man some props... When SWG came out, using his philosophies on gaming, there was no other game out there like it. It WAS unique in the way it did things, and at least to me, that was one of the reasons why I fell in love with it, and stuck with it for so long.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 10:09AM Carolina said

I'd like to see the folks who made Forsaken World's cosmetics fixing the horrible gear in WoW.

And the folks of The Sims 3 creating a sandbox MMO. Not The Sims Online, but something with random creatures to kill and their amazing building system all together.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 10:20AM (Unverified) said

My dream team:

Producer: Michael Gallo
Art Director: Joe Madureira
Creative/Lore Director: Patrick Weekes
Programming Lead: John Abad
Music Composer: Inon Zur

The project would be a single-player action RPG themed after old pulp novels - think Indiana Jones meets Mysterious Island.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 3:08PM raven7680 said

@(Unverified) Hell yeah to Joe Mad...that guy is freaking awsome. His art style is part of the reason Darksiders is one of my favorite console games. Isn't he doing some of the art and modeling for the 40k mmo?

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 10:52AM Beau Hindman said

Hmmm, I'd go with roughly something like this:

1) Artists from The Chronicles of Spellborn

2) Writers from Ryzom

3) Rolf from Wurm Online for systems

Mix and enjoy.

Beau

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM