Posted: Jul 17th 2011 3:39PM Inspectah said

i was hoping they were going to go for more of a persistant world other then mazes of walls again. I played for a while till i got bored of being forced to walk down corridors all the time.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 7:24PM unfalsified said

Top coverage of this mobile game, and I've been more excited by this one's development since '08 than a lot of other games & mmorpgs. It does look too similar to PL atm even the art style is very similar feel unfortunately, as sci-fi could be more dark and grown-up (badly!), but hope they manage to add the spaceships feature of the original & that would kick ass and possibly make waves.

Does look like a fun mmobile game however with buzzy tunes, eye-candy special effects and dungeon-crawling fun + other players to interact with, exactly what is needed on mobile games imo.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 7:38PM Beau Hindman said

@unfalsified Yeh I asked the developers about space flight when they hosted a live event the other night, and they said (basically) that they could see it happening. It didn't sound like a major priority.

I will need to look it up in our own coverage, but I thought that originally the game was going to be PC and so they would have the ability to make space flight.

beau

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 3:47AM ZenJitsu said

I'm not technologically enabled enough for these mobile games, but it's good to know that Spacetime Studios is doing well. Their game looked promising before NCSoft canned it, glad they managed to recover even if it was at the cost of most of the dev team.

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 5:38AM illansesher said

I was looking forward to this, having played PL a bit, but then I found Order & Chaos Online & some of the other Gameloft shooter titles like N.O.V.A 2 & Modern Combat 2, that just look way more adult graphically than the Spacetime releases.

Still going to have a look at upon release though. You'd be mad not to. Mobile gaming is so new & it can only get better. I want to see everything that the devs put out there & watch it evolve.

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 8:26AM unfalsified said

@inspectah: For a short mobile game session, dungeon-crawling is fine by me, is way I see it, as long as the action feels intense and v actiony and loot-delicious etc.

@beau: Yup, think their priority is to churn out several IPs in short order eg their vampire game and perhaps a western next. Still, if SL attracts a following I think Space Flight would be key differentiation in the mobile mmo market AND enough change/additional gameplay to rival eg persistence offered by O&C for eg? Def expect the devs to follow up on this if the playerbase goes great guns in the next few months : ) They confirmed the design of the ST engine allows this dual addition. How it will work on a mobile (added data transfer) remains to be seen, perhaps in tandem with PC or otherwise?

Zenjitsu, as ilansesher says, get stuck into the gaming smartphone revolution, it's an exciting place for games atm imo. Tbh, the cartoony graphics are sorta ok, the heads are bit too doll-ish but otherwise the bright colors on a small screen are very satisfying imo.

Once again Top Scoop from Massively. Gratz!

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 8:56AM Tom in VA said

So far, SL looks like too much of a clone of PL, just reskinned, and so the game doesn't interest me much. I was hoping SL would be (1) more solo friendly and (2) a bit deeper, story-wise, than PL. There's a market for mindless, arcade style mobile MMOs, to be sure, but that target group doesn't include me.

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 6:14PM unfalsified said

@ Tom: I'm also hoping they put more story, better pvp, deeper combat system and oc if STS keep their track-record of excellent support spicy updates including space flight then it could eventually mature into a great dungeon-crawler in space +?

For a deeper sci-fi experience (aka EvE on the mobile) Outer Empires is a good option if you have not tried it, already?