Posted: Jul 16th 2011 12:44PM Khalus said

I totally disagree with you! WotG is one of the best expansions yet, providing a very rich and detailed romp through the encompassing Crystal War that was only hinted at having happened, mind you quite frequently, but wasn't easy to grasp since we never got to play through what the stories tried to convey.

Campaign is one of the best features added to XI ever, and gaining ranks with one or several of the new factions of each city was quite enjoyable with all the side quests and adventures. It made the world really feel threatened with the massive wars raging in every zone almost constantly it seemed, and along with the redesign of old zones and many new ones, the meeting of prominent characters in their youth, and even the new music tracks were/are incredible.

Unfortunately I've yet to finish the main storyline, but I'm planning to return next month and get to work on them again. oh and btw, don't post storyline spoilers in your articles. Regardless of how old a game is, thats rude and could ruin it for others that havn't yet played or gotten that far!

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 11:54AM Chiren said

@Khalus

The WOTG stories are awesome btw - especially if you rock and are helping Windurst [S]!!!

And I really liked WOTG as well. I think the problem with WOTG is that when it shipped many of the quests/missions simply weren't there (added 1, 2 years later), but the overall completed effort is nice. The music is awesome, the character designs are awesome, the armor design is awesome and classic - yeah, I really liked WOTG.

Its just that 80% of WOTG has been made obsolete by Abyssea.

I really liked Campaign Battle, got full Iron Ram and all that. But these days who will bother with it now when 1)you can go to Abyssea? and 2) magian trials don't cont in campaign battle but do count in Abyssea? and 3) None of the gear you can grind for in Campaign Battle stands up to what you can get in Abyssea for half the time and effort?

My favorite pic from campaign battle: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2958681622_4a088e5597_b.jpg

Ah good times...

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 1:43PM LtRoosevelt said

For me CoP was the best expansion by far, and most of my friends agrees with me. Honestly I know very few who actually cared about ToAU at all in any sense except for the fact that it gave us faster exp, which is not enough to give it the top spot... or even put it anywhere near it.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 3:33PM FouLu said

@LtRoosevelt I guess people forget the Team was Split for FFXIV when TOAU was in the works and COP and Zilart where the Best Written of the bunch. going bullent point here so forgive me
WOTG
1. Took way to long to rap up. (looks at the time line, not SE fault the split the team to make FFXIV and never let them work together again)

2. Content Reused zones (yes i know PS2 limitations cause for this or they would have to delete zones, which not a lot of people knew but i did)

3. Was to me poorly written, compared to COP OR Zilart.

4. Jobs added were a bit sad (Before updates, yes this happend to Pup as well ; ; lolpup and then loldnc ) means you forgot to do something ....like really test it)

But again this is only my opinion and i don't expect everyone to feel that way.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 1:52PM alzeer said

wotg problem it dragged too long
it went on for like 3 years? one of them barley had any updates and didnt provide solid endgame event
ANNM and SCNM weren't worth the time
campaign was great addition but only for leveling , the highest rank items were decent at best.
but i disagree with eliot storyline conclusion
im nearing the end of the wotg missions and i feel its on par with the other two expansions storyline wise.
its true many of the missions felt like waste of time & the story didnt go anywhere.
but i dont know maybe because i chose windy as my wotg nation
Lehko Habhoka & Robel-Akbel provided shroud of mystery that kept me playing mission after mission just to know their pasts and motives.

PS: SE posted the new jobs vision for FFXI it should provide nice material for next week unless FF14 patch dropped :P

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 2:33PM JuliusSeizure said

Time travel stories need one vital element to have tension: The threat that you may have accidentally changed things for the worse.

That's why the first two Back to the Future movies are so good yet the third one is kind of weak. Sure, both Doc and Marty nearly die, but but we know that'll never stick. The only change to the actual timeline is to avoid a ravine ever getting its name changed from the original by saving a woman who ends up marrying Doc and having adventures through time with him.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 3:17PM saudrapsmann said

For me: Chains of Promathia is the BEST expansion, with sea being one of the coolest places in the game, and the story keeping me going and always wanting to know more. I also love the way even side characters all have their own part of the story and their lives and problems are fully detailed. Fighting Ultima and talking to Bahamut and fighting Promathia in space, it was a collection of everything I love about the Final Fantasy series in one expansion, even if the only reward it gave was a ring. Vana'diel's story also really made sense to me for the first time with CoP.

Second best is Wings of the Goddess, because the zones are absolutely amazing. Just seeing lightning strike the ground is something I still haven't ever seen in other MMOs, and Campaign is easily accessible and tons of fun. For the story I really can't say much because I'm back in FFXI now to actually see this storyline and ToAU's as I quit before I could see either of them, but from a gameplay and environment perspective Wings of the Goddess is absolutely great. Seeing the same world but in the past to me is very Final Fantasy and was done very well. As for the two jobs, Dancer made soloing a lot more viable as a subjob. Scholar I think still needs work from the dev team.

Treasures of Aht Urghan had some great environments. Arrapago Reef still gives me the chills at 90. Blue Mage refreshed my love of the game when it came out. Corsair is an absolutely sexy job. TP burns however were rather game-breaking and it was sad that if you were a WHM or BLM you rarely got parties just because of Colibri. TP burns got my BLU to 75 fast, but rushing to end game isn't the best when it undermines the "game" aspect, as we can see now in Abyssea where the players are in a state of having absolutely EVERYTHING handed to them.

Rise of the Zilart for me.... Eh. It opened up with a retcon. The writing was extremely inferior to any other expansion in the game. The fights weren't very challenging save Divine Might. I never skip through cutscenes but RotZ made me want to. It was more fully-fleshed than the core game was to be sure, and the first visit to sky was extremely fun, but it just didn't hold a candle to anything else.

My two cents. :D

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 4:10PM alzeer said

@saudrapsmann
what was the zilart "retcon." ? didnt notice/remember any
but i assume it got to do with shadowlord and the zilart brothers

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 4:55PM saudrapsmann said

@alzeer

*spoilers*

Yeah, at the end of the last rank 5 mission, you fight the Shadowlord, Zeid helps the Shadowlord remember his true identity as Raogrimm, who admitted he was blinded with rage, but that he should be dead and shouldn't go back to living even though he was thankful.

RotZ starts out with Lion going "Wow you don't remember much from that do you?" She explains what "REALLY" happened with the Zilart brothers stepping in and admitting it was all their plan and sending the arkangels after everyone, with Raogrimm sacrificing himself to give everyone else a chance to run.

It's not that big of a deal and is definitely better to the bland regular story but a retcon nonetheless.

*/spoilers*

[I don't know about rules regarding spoilers so let me know if this needs to be removed!]

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 6:05PM alzeer said

@saudrapsmann
/spoilers
yes now i remembered that
i felt that was strange since it was kinda hinted that Kam'lanaut is up to no good from doing city missions which means development team had him as villain before zilart came out.

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 2:34PM (Unverified) said

Eliot please do me a HUGE favor when you do get too writing about the patch in FFXIV and mention if you have the feeling that theres more game given objectives know then at launch. Im not the type of player that likes to have to make my own goals and I like to feel Im progressing in some sort of story or goal with rewards and hate having to just go kill enemies and grind with no real purpose.

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 12:59PM Khalus said

Yeah its sad that most the previous content has been made obsolete by Abyssea. SE did such a great job over the years to keep everything important with each new expansion and then this...

Anyway...I'll see your Campaign pic with a few of my own ~ {damn do I miss XI}: