Posted: Jul 16th 2011 8:16AM Acharenus said

Frankly every MMO that isn't directly targeting kids is home to what anonymity breeds best: Arsehats and lots of them.

It's not much worse then a playground though, at least in an mmo you can't be beaten up while nearby teachers become fascinated with the sky.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 8:28AM DarkWalker said

It depends on the game.

There are "kid" games that manage to be quite good for some uncomplicated fun time, without offending a player's intelligence. I like to play those.

On the other hand, I can't stand games that seem to think kids are not able to think for themselves, and give those a wide berth.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 8:35AM Attack Ferret said

I played Free Realms for a little while, and found it rather relaxing. The card game contained within it was also quite a bit of fun (albeit rather simple).

If there's a solid core gameplay structure to the game, then of course kids games can be enjoyable.

Just like Pixar movies, a game studio can aim for the under 12 demographic and still succeed in reeling in older players. It's something of an art, and I applaud any studio that can pull it off. Not many do.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:09AM FrostPaw said

I have played games aimed at "kids"

They are not generaly entertaining enough to keep me engaged for more than a few weeks but I still play them.

I actually find it quite sirprising how hard some minigames are in Clone Wars Adventures considering it is for kids.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:12AM DarkWalker said

@FrostPaw
With the proper training (i.e., if they keep trying), kids can actually pull off pretty impressive performances. Plus, some kinds of activities actually favor younger players.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:24AM (Unverified) said

What a silly question. Playing games is inherently behavior most often associated with kids than adults. That's like asking a MLB player if he minds getting paid millions to play a kid's game.

My answer, of course, is yes I would and do play games that are marketed mainly for kids. Wizard 101 is a very well-crafted MMO. It has features that put many mainstream MMO's to shame and does it while keeping a kid-friendly environment. I've also dabbled with Free Realms and while I don't play it much anymore, I did splurge for their $40 lifetime membership deal a while ago.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:33AM Carolina said

And the silly thing to me is people complaining of the presence of kids in MMOs that are ok for them (not mature content, etc), because they have as much right to be there having fun then us.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:40AM (Unverified) said

As someone who plays AAA tier mmo's (mostly rift right now) sometimes its nice to go to something a bit more innocent. I'm kinda an addict of tower defense games, and Clone Wars has an extremely well crafted one that gets more difficult and complex as you get through it, Though personally I think SOE should of made the game more like freerealms then just a lobby to games. I also like Freerealms card game, I feel like the clone wars one is too dumbed down to be worth playing.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:53AM ndessell said

surw its nice to play games that focus on fun and engagement than pleasing the hard core

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:17AM Saker said

@ndessell Agree!

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:21AM Saker said

@ndessell It's a revolutionary concept (unfortunately)!

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:53AM Omali said

I don't assume a game is for kids simply because of the ESRB rating on it. The ESRB checks for blood, gore, violence, sex, and gratuitous crotch shots, not the level of difficulty in the game. That's how you can end up with Panzer General being rated kid through adult, but Cartoon Network's Fusion Fall is rated 10+ by the ESRB.

It reminds me of the Code Monkeys episode where Nancy Reagan forces game companies to put warning labels on the video games that they'll make kids have sex and do drugs. The outcome is that kids buy the games thinking it will let them have sex and do drugs, and the parody sticks. I know people who won't play a game if it isn't rated M, because they associate maturity with the amount of double-D boobies present.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:59AM SgtBaker1234556 said

Well, to me 20-25 year olds are "much younger age bracket" :-) And I gladly play games marketed to them.

But I guess the author didn't mean that. I also enjoy playing the games listed in the article (Wizard101 especially) - both when I play them on my own and with my kids.

They're games. The purpose is to have fun. Age and fun are not really mutually exclusive.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 10:45AM Beau Hindman said

I sort of thought they were all games for kids. No, seriously. That's why we "play." Play might be native to all age ranges and perfectly healthy, but let's be honest: we would all put "play" next to kids before we would "adults."

Unless the game is rated mature, we're in THEIR world. Killing a dragon, to me, with a group of 40 year old people feels no different than having a card battle in Wizard 101. Maybe that's why I have so much fun? haha

Beau

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:09AM Irem said

@Beau Hindman
I'm pretty sure I never stopped being a kid, even though I'm more than old enough to buy and play mature-rated games, so in a sense, I agree (no visit from my mother is complete without the obligatory I-can't-believe-my-daughter-still-plays-with-action-figures sighing).

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:55AM Beau Hindman said

@Irem Yeh and I don't want to make it sound like I am saying "We all need to grow up! " or anything -- obviously not -- but I always get a thrill out of playing a game and realizing I am *playing.*

I mean, it could be so much worse. lol I like the fact that I know so many "youthful" people. :) I even believe that even when someone is getting a little too serious about their MMO, they're, in a way, pretending. Sort of like going through scream or art therapy at a therapist -- they're working through frustrations and pain in a harmless (mostly) way.

Neat stuff, if you think about it.

Beau

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:04AM donweel said

So just what if a game like say Rift had a family server? Strictly moderated chat, and extra helpful fuzzy npc around. And perhaps some volunteers or staff to roam the game and make sure kids get help if they need it.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:06AM Irem said

Sure, I'll play anything if it's good. I tried Wizard 101 and really liked it.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:08AM Seldra said

I've played a bunch of mmos aimed for kids, they're fun to try for when I need a break from the more intensive gameplay of normal mmos.

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 11:10AM Pingles said

I have played a few kids games and the absolutely BEST part about it is that those games seem to scare away the worst segment of the MMO population.