Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:11AM Bartlebe said

They were back when I enjoyed some of the games.

At this point, in my opinion, nothing worth playing for a long amount of time has come out in years. Rift was pretty well made but I had moved through the content after about a month.

I remember when MMOs were worlds that you could lose yourself in for years. Until those come back again, my hobby games wont be MMOs.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:36AM Razomir said

@Bartlebe I have to disagree. Although they are rare indeed. Personally for me it IS my hobby still though I limit myself to very few of the titles which so far has been reduced to Guild Wars only. Sadly I see a trend in MMOs churning out more graphically intense titles with the storyline being set back. Something for ppl to casually grind in within a flashy world without much depth. I certainly hope more companies put more time into developing emersing stories such as the GW world.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:48AM Bartlebe said

@Razomir

Well I did say "in my opinion." I know other people may feel differently.

Despite disagreeing and siting Guild Wars, I think you see what i'm talking about.

Until some worthwhile MMO's come out for me to really sink some time into, I'm going to stick to playing and supporting some wonderful Indie games. Dungeons of Dredmor and Mount and Blade: Warband are my current gaming hobbies.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:55AM Aganazer said

@Bartlebe

Agreed, this used to be my favorite hobby, but then every game started coming out that was the exact same gameplay as the one before it. Some of them are very high quality, but without providing a new experience, I get bored of them in hours rather than the months they used to keep me interested.

I don't think I have changed at all, its the stagnant games that have quit making new innovations and progress in the quality of the gameplay.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:21AM Mikkhail said

sadly ... yes ... I do some gardening and some martial arts as hobbies (so that I can have some real world interactions and experiences!) ... but in the end, hopping back into the game is what I always look foward to most in the evening.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:48AM Danteeeee said

Not MMO's specifically, but games in general are a main hobby. Ontop of doing College work and reading in my spare time, and not having any money at all to go out and be social.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:50AM FrostPaw said

PC Gaming is my hobby, sometimes it's an mmo, sometimes it's a single player game.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:50AM arryn11 said

Haven't seriously played an MMO for months. Thinking about Guild Wars at the moment but only to finish up some titles. Guild Wars 2 is going to be my next game(hobby).

On a side note, I'm half way through Clash of Kings and flying through these books just by reading after working out and during my lunch and breaks. Story is great!

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 8:51AM Fabius Bile said

same as above. they were back when decent games were released

since 2004 my new hobby became watching paint dry...

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:19AM (Unverified) said

@Fabius Bile +1 just for the name lol

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:02AM (Unverified) said

It has been my main hobby since say about 2005? When I started playing WoW. But through out the years and bad experiences, I have drifted far, far away from WoW (Not to say Blizz is a bad company, I love SC and Diablo) I just don't like what I got into for the most part. I enjoy the company of people online, playing casually, killing stuff, and then playing hyper competitively in PVP. That's just awesome. I've played a lot of P2P titles at some point or another, either from owning it, by trialing it, or trialing it. Some I like more than others.

My order on things would be... AoC>GW>Hellgate>APB>WAR>Tabula Rasa>Champions Online>City of Heroes>RS>FF11>FF14>SWG>Everquest>WoW(I'm really biased on this one at the moment)

I haven't really touched Ultima, DAoC, or Lineage or really plan to at this point.

But yea, TLDR; I really enjoy MMO's with a good story, amazing pvp, decent graphics, and a good community I can settle myself into and not have any problems with.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:09AM Scuffles said

Can an MMO really be classified as a hobby?

Not to belittle MMOs because the right MMO can be fun and in some aspects rewarding. However when I think of a Hobby I think of something constructive at the very least something that at the end of the day you can hold in your hands. For some reason collecting the best virtual pixel item just doesn't compare to an actual IRL hobby, I would sooner classify such compulsions as addiction tho in most cases such classification would be extreme.

So I guess TL:DR, no they are not my main "hobby" tho I still enjoy them.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:48AM Kaoss said

@Scuffles Gaming is an activity, therefore, yes it can be a hobby.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 10:00AM DeadlyAccurate said

@Scuffles I think of a hobby as anything you do for entertainment and enjoyment in your spare time. By your definition, reading wouldn't be a hobby, nor would watching movies.

MMOs have become my main hobby in the last few years. I play fewer single player games than before (mostly because of the way they've been console'd to death). Right now I have active subscriptions to Perpetuum and Wizard 101, and I'm trying out Age of Conan. I'm not playing any single player games at the moment (Skyrim will likely be next).

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 11:01AM Lenn said

@Scuffles Arts & crafts = hobby. Hobby =/= arts & crafts.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:15AM Carolina said

Gaming is one of my hobbies. I've also been picking up drawing again, slowly adding more plants around the house and cooking. My game characters still cook better then me, so I gotta fix that :)

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:16AM Gamewench said

I love many mmorpgs. Unfortunately for the last 2 years I've been disabled. I currently have fibromyalgia along with another illness that limits my mobility so I have little choice but to stay indoors seated most times. I choose to play games because they are more entertaining and engaging than reading books, watching tv or knitting at this point :D

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:42AM blackcat7k said

Hmmm… “hobby”… Does anyone else find that to be troubling? That MMOs are getting so grind heavy that they must be classified as hobby because of the enormous amount of time you have to spend on them.

Every game ever made has repetitive progression, but it seems that MMOs are trying to push the limits of this to the point of banality. Would I say Dragon Age 1/2 was my hobby? No. Would I say Super Street Fighter 4 was my hobby? No. Would I say Monday Night Combat, Dawn of War or any other game was my hobby? Nope.

Would I say that the MMOs I played after pre-Trammel Ultima Online such as Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Anarchy Online were hobbies… YES! Absolutely and completely! The amount of time to get anything of import done in them is rapidly reaching critical mass.

Developers can’t make content fast enough, anything they do make is blown through in less than week so they try to stretch things out. Something needs to be done; this genre can’t keep going with business as usual hoping to avoid the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Is the sky falling? Nope. However, I see some cracks in the firmament.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 11:37AM Irem said

@blackcat7k
Hobbies don't need to be things you sink a lot of time into. Anything you do regularly for fun that you have a significant interest in can be classified as a hobby, whether it's playing video games in general, or cooking, or hiking, or whatever.

MMOs are actually getting -less- grind heavy than they've ever been, but they're classifiable as a hobby for a lot of people not only because they're a primary leisure activity, but because there's a ton of community and meta-discussion that springs up around them. There's much, much more to having MMOs as a hobby than just playing the games.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:44AM Contains Moderate Peril said

Perhaps with regard to hobbies, perhaps we should defer to Simon Quinklank?