Posted: Jul 14th 2011 4:16PM Jetflame3 said

If they wiped it.... I would come back! Haha,I had a maxed out character nearly completely (except for maybe a couple magic schools), and I would resub if they wiped the entire server. I really would! I found one of the most fun parts of that game was competing to be one of the first viable in PvP.. I know most don't agree with me on the topic, but I really would have fun in Darkfall again if they did this and reworked a lot of the mechanics. Not only that PvP seemed more fun when people still had low skills and really had too fight. Regardless, there's my opinion.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 6:47PM Space Cobra said

Generally, no.

This is what happened during the "save the HD space" event that went on at Funcom in "Age of Conan". They stated they would wipe all characters under a certain level. I invested enough, IMO, to feel enough time went into them. While NONE of them had left Tortage, I am a slow-leveler and that was time lost.

Now, I found out my single highest level character was saved, but he had a strange name change (numbers put after him) and there was no server transfer. So, that also kept me away for a few years. And really, losing all those other characters at launch with nice names was a downer.

I did eventually came back, but it took time and a bit of boredom and some curiousity on "what has changed" (plus a free weekend). I still would have liked my old names and I eventually left Tortage with that one character (and a free rename, removing his numbers). But it was a "kick in the gut". MMO companies should really realize it is a drastic change and it is EASY to leave if you have nothing remaining in-game.

Even those that profess to treat their characters as simple avatars (those who are not attached to their characters) still complain about lost time, items, and money (in-game and out). I think character wipes can be a good thing, but after a long while, it needs to have a purpose and even then, you will lose many players.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:35PM vichussmith said

Geez, why not just ask me to throw my PC out the window, why don't cha? :)

I have gotten down when a character I've had was no longer accessible, for whatever reason, but I eventually see it as an excuse for working on a new path

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 10:05PM redsolar said

Likely not. But Rift and APB have been the only games I have replayed after a beta character wipe either to max level or higher than my beta level. Then again, I'm no longer playing those games for other reasons.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 12:58AM Ferakpsi said

I played back during launch, before there was a NA server. Enjoyed the time I had but never came back because of how much of a grind it was. Once you were too far behind it became a chore to stay competitive.

If they did a reset, I'd take a hard look at returning. I would honestly be surprised if they did.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:06AM DarkWalker said

If the wipe was due to a developer / publisher error, or if I didn't agree with the reasons for the wipe, most likely no. It would shake my trust in them enough I might not be willing to continue playing.

If the wipe was intentional, previously announced, and somehow merited, I might still play, but I would re-evaluate the game compared to it's competition; the best time to leave is when you have nothing to lose, such as just after having my character wiped.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 3:46PM obstinator said

Finally, a daily grind question I just couldn't keep quiet about.

If it means fixing the game....wipe it. Wipe my character.

Maybe they will finally get away from the thinly veiled grind for skill and gear fest that is every other fantasy MMO. \start sarcasm\ "Oh we don't have leveling but you will grind for skill points that will add to your stats" Yeah so I'm the idiot, sue me if i can't see the friggin difference. There is this pesky thing called new technology and it gives the ability to model real combat. Stats and dice rolls are so 80s and they should be left there with women's shoulder padded blouses. Uh Oh, better hire a body guard. I just called out every MMO developer on there laziness to innovate.\end sarcasm\

Hardcore FFA PVP and loot. I love the sweaty palms excitement of possible death around every corner, but what's so hardcore about getting gank raped by someone and not being able to stop it or prevent it from happening again with no real negative consequences for the ganker.
Hey Aventurine, try a mechanic where any noob player can kill an end gamer with a good arrow shot to the eye. Now that would be hardcore. Leet players getting looted by a noob :0. Hell, maybe even NPC bounty hunters or Sheriffs?

Sorry...back to the point.

As for the time spent developing my character, that's just time in my life wasted on a game that is a fun hobby or therapy or masochism, not sure which or maybe all three. I don't take my toons accomplishments that seriously and if you do you probably should be grinding at something in real life that will bring you real rewards and real feelings of accomplishment. Don't get me wrong I like the MMO grind sometimes, but as is, Darkfall often feels like a job that doesn't pay. I could learn to be a professional lumberjack in real life faster than my toon :p.

For those worried about the character wipe...it wouldn't be hard for Aventurine to somehow "will" your old characters items and gold or equivalent to your new character. Pssssst...Aventurine...if you haven't noticed from the posts you would be STUPID not to do this.

IMO the wipe isn't even the issue here. The issue is what is Aventurine going to do with this game? I for myself would like to see real hardcore (IMO hardcore = more realism ish) How about no arbitrary NPC cities. All cities built by players that can hire NPCs to defend, man shoppes, grind for goods, deal out justice, etc. Oh well, I can dream the impossible.

Either way I'll play. What other form of entertainment gives you so many hours of fun for $15 a month?

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 2:20PM terroni said

If it were a fun game to play, I would(Counts innumerous alts)

If it were a boring game where being max skill/level is the only thing that matters, no.

My favorite thing from many betas are template characters. Why not just give everyone a max level character with freely assignable points. Win-win.

Posted: Jul 21st 2011 6:41AM Dolnor said

I would try out something new after learning what is most effective from the first time through.

I am actually on a project which will have perma-death once it is completed. Kind of a "three strikes and you are dead" feature...and your character will be shelved. The feature is not for everyone but it does make you cherish the character and helps shape your decisions!

TQQdles™