Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:55AM darkfalladdict said

IF you wipe... i will not play again this doesnt just suck for vets but sucks for noobs also,,,, ive been playing 3 months now finally maxed my crafting and people are saying i just may of wasted 3 months of my time.. then screw this .. I will not be playing again try have consideration wtf you think new ppl will join on that day because ppl are wiped maybe so but not much in comparision of people leaving the game.. AV.. Grow some balls and just tell us now your acting like a little kid because you may lose some customers now if you tell us the answer. I know 3 people who have already quit because they believe you will wipe server and they have wasted their time i will continue to play for a little while but i will not be waiting to know if or not people will have their chars

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:56AM Valdamar said

No, and I'd never play any game that company ever worked on again - nor any game that it's lead dev and producers ever worked on again (as they would have been complicit in, or originated, the decision to wipe) - maybe I'd boycott the publisher too (though selfishly that would depend on whether they had any other dev studios or franchises that I liked the games of).

Wiping characters that players have spent time building up (and perhaps emotionally investing themselves in) is I think pretty much the worst thing that an MMO game developer could ever possibly do (short of coming round to a player's house and inflicting harm directly with various sharp or blunt instruments). Wiping gear or partial progress would be bad enough, but wiping all of your characters entirely would show very poor judgement on the part of the developers, and no respect whatsoever for their existing playerbase (who pay the devs' wages, lets not forget).

If a game update/relaunch is going to leave old characters incompatible with the new game then at least find some way to port across character names/appearance/progress/guilds to the new system on a per-account basis, and maybe compensate for the equipment/possessions being wiped (and I mean err on the side of overly generous compensation) - and if it's a game relaunch and the Devs feel that veterans might "ruin" the experience for all these fabled new customers that will flood in, by being so far ahead on levelling, then maybe have a veterans-only server(s) with all new people going to new servers.

But when has an MMO relaunch ever worked? I thought everyone had learnt the lessons of SWG's NGE by now. Work on a sequel, fine, and maybe offer incentives for people to drop their characters on the first game and start afresh in the sequel (then at least it's the players' decision to leave their characters behind, not the Devs taking their characters away from them forever), but don't wipe your game and start again just because it had a flawed and half-arsed release originally and now the developers have earned enough money (off the customers they're about to screw) to do a proper release like they should have done in the first place.

Anyway where are all these mythical new customers Aventurine is expecting to get with a relaunch? Surely anyone that wanted a full/open PvP MMO is either already playing Darkfall or has played it and left (but might come back) - those are exactly the people Aventurine are going to annoy and drive away if they decide to delete their characters. Surely if your MMO has a small niche audience then the last thing you want to do is spit in their faces and drive them away?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:48PM Borick said

@Valdamar If you think you have a chance to rebrand for a winder market, perhaps.

Especially if you look at your current income base and decide that your model isn't sustainable. If the game is lost anyway, why not?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:01PM Utakata said

If endgame content was elaborate and epeen rewarding as WoW, I could see this being a serious "let's not go there" issue...

...not that I wouldn't mind an epeen...I mean character whipe in said game. A lot of ego's would be burst assunder. Its just that it would be most certainly be a no-sell there.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:17PM Palebane said

It depends on how long I've played and how hard I worked to get what I had, as well as whether or not I was still having fun in the game, and how much better I thought the game would be with a wipe. I would feel bad for players that did not want a wipe, but if most of the current players were fine with it, why should I care?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:17PM Dorfi said

You really cant comment on whether it would be bad or good for darkfall unless you have played darkfall and imo it would definately be good for darkfall to have a wipe

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:52PM cliktea said

For me I suppose it comes down to whether I'm currently playing the game or not. If I'm actively playing it at the time I'd probably be pretty upset and not come back to the game. On the flip side though if I have a character but haven't played in half a year for example I probably wouldn't care.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:58PM Sente said

Depends on the game and the characters.

When NGE happened in SWG my main character was in practice wiped, since he was was a Master Ranger/Master Creature Handler - his identity was gone and could not even be re-created. My account was not active at that particular update, but I did re-activate it a bit after the NGE update.

My initial reaction then was that I would not play the game anymore, even though my character could be transformed into a high-level of one of the now existing professions - but neither of them reflected what my character was.

It took me quite a long time before I touched the game again.

In City of Heroes I have 30+ characters and 13 of those at max level. If they were all wiped I might still play the game and might try to recreate some characters, at least if it was still possible to create the same archetypes with powersets again.

Most other games with a leveling treadmill I would not bother with though. Games with more vertical progression like Guild Wars I would not be so bothered with it and could still play the game.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:09PM donweel said

If it was a good game and the improvements were worth the drastic move of wiping characters I would still play. I would want my name to still be reserved however. It could even be fun, if you had a good guild to start again and play up again together. I think in this case they have a bad element that is ruining the gameplay of regular players. Those people are sure to leave the game. It is one way to get rid of the pests, and may be worth a wipe in that respect. The game could never grow with new players geting ganked over and over. Also this is also one of the problems with the classic leveling system, if there where no level grind then starting new would not be a problem. As far as Darkfall it certainly makes me want to take another look at this game and consider trying the new game.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:23PM PhelimReagh said

Absolutely not. For some games I play near-compulsively, it would be a weight off my shoulders and I'd finally be able to quit without misgivings.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:29PM PhelimReagh said

Better than wiping old characters, give new characters the chance to have a single max-level character, or a character with X amount of points for their skill trees or what have you (I have no idea how Darkfall works).

Or somehow "re-balance" the top-level characters down so that their advantage is not so dramatic anymore. That would still be awful, but it would be less awful than a wipe.

Or keep both Darkfalls, and let players from 1.0 add a 2.0 sub for an extra $5/month.

Wiping is just a terrible idea.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:52PM skreww L00se said

This is all fine and nice but the information we really seek is whether or not a wipe will attract new players who would not try the game otherwise. It is obvious that a wipe will upset the current players and knowing whether or not people who do not even play the game would stay if they did, is not helpful.

So would any of you START playing Darkfall BECAUSE of the wipe in addition to the release of Darkfall 2? Would you play Darkfall 2 at release without a wipe?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:03PM Harley Dude said

@skreww L00se

No and no. I'm just not interested in their combat model. I prefer traditional RPG style combat. I would definitely never ever consider anything AV made in the future if they wipe two years worth of progress. You just don't treat your customers like that.

I had already ragequit SWG when CU went live. I couldn't imagine logging in the day the NGE went live and finding out my master doc/TKM was know just a doctor, and some peoples' characters were even more destroyed.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:09PM sYnceD said

When people think MMORPG's they think tab targeting PVP/PVE, instanced places to get gear. And raid bosses to kill after the instanced gear is obtained.

People never think of competitive FPS games, being bent into somewhat of a MMO, with mechanics of a successful fps game like QUAKE/CSS and many more, everyone wants simple games that you can develop your characters in.

With darkfall that's a whole other story. OFCOURSE they didn't apply it right, they had the mechanics in place, and the movement and I guess you could say that "twitchy fps feeling" The sensation of getting that quick skill off, or that quick dodge with a bunnyhop etc.

But one thing they fucked up on big time, was when the grind became a problem, their lack of communication and all that junk most of you know about.

With DF 2.0 maybe they can get back on the ball, the game needs improvement no doubt. But has loads of potential to many of the FPS fans out there, and many of the MMO fans.

The wipe needs to happen, if I had to say so myself, this "new game" DF 2.0 They said they are announcing has loads of potential like I said, but when it comes down to applying the idea right, I don't think they are gonna prevail at that, I might be wrong, I might be right. But either way, the game is gonna come out more decent than the first.

WIth all these new things that are most LIKELY gonna be released in the "new game" A character wipe would pretty much be perfect, either way you look at it if you can think this out, there is gonna be a problem with just a Bank wipe, and just a Character wipe.

I say the wipe is gonna be perfect for the games new take off, and if they apply that "Less grind" Idea Im pretty sure not many are gonna mind that are sticking around the game now, as the game would just be getting good.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:16PM sYnceD said

@sYnceD

Also don't reply to this if you haven't actually played the one of the many competitive fps that has gone competitive.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:27PM (Unverified) said

I would say NO if it was any other game but Darkfall absolutely YES.

So much went wrong with Darkfall and character progression from day 1, there was no limit to what characters could learn, macroing was the best way to advance, bugged mobs provided unlimited gold.
The later problems have been fixed for a long time in DF but the damage was already done with godlike characters and a ruined economy.
DF2.0 promises to fix the 'jack of all trades' issue by having the armour types your wearing limit what you can use and by having prestiege classes encouraging and discouraging set playstyles.

Who would want to come to a relaunched game that centers around politics and warfare to see all the cities taken, super rich and powerful alliances keeping the littleman down because they've exploited for so long?

I'd ask you to read these posts from Veteran players advocating why a wipe is essential for Darkfall 2.0's success.
(MMORPG's Paragus Rants below)
(Adun East, vet and respected player)
(Kasmos, Veteran Pro-Wipe)

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 3:15PM Alph said

Nope.

As a paying customer I expect the company to keep my data.(and keep it safe *cough*SOE*cough*)

Wiping my character is unacceptable to me as a consumer. Only really bad private servers wipe data to keep the never ending carrot on a stick going, real game servers don't need to fall so low.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 3:19PM Alph said

@Alph
2 things rq

I don't playing darkfall.

If a company wants to wipe my character then they can refund my money.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 3:18PM Hippotank said

I think I maybe a little torn but I would pry continue to play. It would present me with a little more leverage to try and get maybe some more friends to come play or try it out, "Look everyone is getting wiped so everyone is back to 0 meaning you aren't behind the crowd".

In the case of Darkfall I think though it may sound bad they may be giving their current subscribers the shaft for the good of the colony. They're still in a business and they're still trying to make money. It just seems that if they wipe characters they'll get a ton more people at least checking the game out now that they have a chance to even compete.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 3:38PM wfseg said

No, what's to stop them from doing it again and again.