Posted: Jul 14th 2011 5:48PM hereafter said

The Chronicles idea sounds cool. I think conveying the lore is an important improvement that the game needs. Also, going into Rifts sounds awesome and I wish that were already possible. How cool would it be if the fast travel system involved literally passing into a different plane? There's so many ways they could take advantage of their own concepts, it's a shame players have to wait for it. I'd hate to see them add these things and end up being too late to hit that crucial tipping point they needed in the beginning.

I'll be keeping an eye on it though. I can hold down at least two subs right now, so I'd consider swapping Rift back in as my second if their improvements pan out.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 5:54PM Silverangel said

Chronicles just sound awesome. Could be a perfect content type to fill in some of the main gaps that players have been complaining about--solo/small group activities and lore.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 7:19PM Graill440 said

Rift definately had its share of plusses i liked but when you mix sour and sweet you still get something that tastes horrible. The first distasteful thing i encountered were the exploiters not being rolled back in the first days of the title opening, some would applaud Trion for not doing this i felt differently. They fixed the numerous exploits and initial Op specs in those opening days but did nothing to put them back on pace with everyone else.

I really liked the main storyline i was following up to the point i needed to raid to finish it, 3 and 5 man was fine, but raiding, total suckage, that was the first wtf moment i had. The things kept piling on, the primary thing being Rift is a healfest, without healing your not doing squat in PVP, as a gamer that plays non healers (healing is overused everywhere nowadays) this is not the game for you...or me. (and yes i know the supposed reason behind giving every class healing)

The last thing that turned my stomach was the buff/debuff thing, upwards of 40 buffs, including stacking buffs? This did not include listed debuffs as the GUI only showed 40 in the box, that was simply insane and was the last bit of questionable game mechanics i needed to part ways.

Content. The content trion is putting out was planned months inadvance before release, so i cant give them kudos like other fans about them being proactive. After a year or two if they are still around and putting content out at this rate then yes they deserve credit for shoving lots of stuff out the door......whether it will be good for business is for the gamer to decide with their wallet. (Grin)

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 8:57PM entropyboy said

the FotM-style class system really turned me off of Rift - even through i like 90% of everything else in the game.

although not my game at the moment, i like hearing about the constant flood of content they are making.

excited to see where Trion goes in the future.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:02PM Nepentheia said

*squees with delight, noticing a very strong EQ vibe starting to bubble up* An Alternate Advancement system, raiding the Planes... ah yes, awesome systems and content of aeons past becoming new again in another game. I love it! :-D

Making the world feel more 'whole' and adding lore-focused solo content is very exciting, too. And "yay!" to crafting improvements.

And I'm curious about the "instant adventures". I always get a kick out of seeing the "borg-like flash mob" herding its way through an entire zone, clearing everything in its path. Looking forward to seeing more spontaneous experiences like this.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:22PM Brombz said

@Nepentheia

One of my favorite experiences in Rift is when I went AFT in Droughtlands and came back to be near death due to an invasion. But then a herd of cows came and picked up the aggro from the invasion (as I had yet to attack). I healed myself and killed the main invasion mob - almost dying laughing because of my new friends, the cow tanks.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:22PM Brombz said

@Brombz

*AFK

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 10:22PM winterborn said

• Half a heart
Trion did not do do any of the big 3 (PvE.Raid,PvP) well and now they are scrambling to keep players. They need to focus on being good at one thing rather than crappy at all of em.

Spending resources on crap that like facetweet intergration or $oE lite aka Hartsman future content and nerfs....I mean changes is not what I would do.

Good luck to them they are gooing to need it.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:02PM Azaetos said

Don't know what it was about Rift, it has many boxes ticked for things I want to see in an MMO such as production value, playability, etc, but it was just missing something. It didn't seem to draw me in like other games and I still can't put my finger on what it was that caused me to feel that way.

I have total respect for Trion themselves and I wish more developers were like them but Rift just didn't have the 'spark'. Hopefully their Sci-Fi game will be different in that regard.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:46PM ChongShin said

• 1 heart
"As we wrote about earlier this week, there's some concern that rifts aren't as big of a pull as they once were".

Massively, folks, I love you, I do, but are you trying to win the Understatement of The Year Award? Because I think you may have just placed yourselves on the winner's list. With confetti.

The simple fact is that Trion turned their back on their rift and invasion system, ignoring the fact that it's the NAME of their game. They did this basically just as soon as the game left the gates, and kept many of us dangling with vague promises of something in the future. That "something in the future" turned out to be some minor additions that amounted to bullet points (rifts that drop lots of crafting materials, like, omg!), or hotfixes or balance fixes, and otherwise COMPLETELY ignored the system. The biggest addition to the system was adding a couple of new invasion types to each zone, which is nice, but it's NOTHING compared to their instanced raid focus.

And boy have they popped out raid instance dungeons like they're some sort of endangered species and Trion was getting government checks for breading them. The whole time, the rifts and invasions lay stagnant, with no additions to make them worth anyone's time to do. NOW they think that they can turn around and finally do something with that Rift-thingie that they used to talk about and everything will be happy flowers and prancing rainbow farting ponies?

I'm sorry, but no matter what they "plan on" doing at this point, it's just way too late. It's so good for them to remember that, oh yeah, the name of their game is "Rift", not "Raid", and they probably think that it's a good idea to finally develop that and try to win some of us back, but ya know what? Forget that. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and Trion has already shown their colors as a development studio. They're perfectly happy with abandoning the very nature of their game in order to draw in the WoW crowd, and who cares about their existing player base who bought the game for those rifts and invasions in the first place?

Kinda sounds familiar, doesn't it? Now they're desperately pumping out this "State of The Game" BS to dangle more carrots and try to get people to come back, to resubscribe. Ya know, that sounds really familiar, too, for some odd reason.

I'm sure that their existing raid-focused subscribers are going to enjoy Trion's second change of focus. lol..

Yeah I'm really irritated. I beta tested this game for MONTHS before it released, and it was AMAZING. I told all of my friends about it, got people hyped about it, pre-ordered it, etc, and then BAM, complete game changing focus after release. No less irritating since some of that is MY fault for actually thinking that, gee, they were actually going to focus on this great invasion thing... well HAH, jokes on me, I looked like an idiot to my friends after I bragged this system up, and that torques me off, and I sure as heck am not going to give them any more of my money.

Trion? More like Failon. I have NO intentions what-so-ever of ever trusting this company again.

/nerd rages, passes out

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 3:02AM Acharenus said

Can't believe it's only been four months, amazing amount of content coming out of trion.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 4:27AM Gaugamela said

It seems that Trion is the only company capable of putting up with the b*tchiness of MMO players and trolls.
It releases so much new content and addresses the issues so fast that the trolls are always coming up with new stuff to pick on. It undermines their atempts and makes them look like the pathetic fools they are.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 7:58AM (Unverified) said

Having just let my WoW sub run out, and recieved the free week trial in my email I thought I'd come back to Rift and see what has changed.

I am really impressed with the amount of items that have been added, and more so with the items that they have lined up in coming patches. I'm going to see how this week goes, but I am highly tempted to keep playing at the moment just because of the way more content keeps on coming!

Posted: Jul 17th 2011 1:37PM cowboyhugbees said

I'm a bit out of the loop, but are there any plans for player housing?

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 7:56AM myhumps said

Unfortunately for them, half of Rift's population is just waiting on TOR.

Posted: Jul 19th 2011 9:17AM Budukahn said

I'm pretty sure back in the day WoW was pumping out lots of content, practically every month or two (an unheard of update schedual back in the day). Truth is though, that most of those "updates" were merely the completion of unfinished content that had been dropped prior to the games release. I think once Trion runs out of half finished projects to complete and bring out as new content, we'll quickly find the update schedual starts to take a bit longer.

Hopefully it'll never be as bad as WoW is nowadays. Six months between content updates? That's just taking the p.