Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:11AM jealouspirate said

''Reportedly, he'll be so big that players will only be able to fight his head.''

I guess I`m just a cynical, black-hearted person but to me this seems less like a ''Wow, the boss is so epicly large!'' thing and more of a ''modeling a dragon head is easier than making the whole thing''.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:16PM PhelimReagh said

@jealouspirate
That's exactly how I read it too.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Can Massively please fix the Unverified status of the users? At least make a post explianing why it is taking so long to fix or if you don't intend to fix it at all and we should create a new profile? Thanks.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:09PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) If you happen to get an answer, do let me know. I didn't ever used to show up as Unverified until I started posting on multiple Joystiq sites, and then it broke across all of them. I've never been able to get any support regarding it.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:23AM gildhur said

Oh my...

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:37AM Mr Angry said

Wait a second, this raid was supposed to be prior to the expansion in a book update, now they are touting it as an expansion feature.

What does this mean for other group and raid content, I hope there are still 12 man raids prior to this?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:40AM Nottom said

It should be interesting to see how they justify this guy lore-wise.

Smaug was the last of the great dragons of Middle-Earth.

I enjoyed my time in Turbine's version of Middle-Earth but I often found their deviations from canon to be a bit off-putting.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:55AM Lenn said

@Nottom The Encyclopedia of Arda has this to say: "The dragons were not destroyed at the end of the Third Age; some are said to have survived to our own time, but the great worms and drakes of the Elder Days are no more." Drakes are lesser dragons and worms are wingless dragons. That guy up there seems to have wings.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:17PM Nottom said

@Lenn

I'm not dwelling on it but given the apparent scale of this new dragon I have to assume it's classified as a great dragon, which contradicts canon.

I'm sure they will do a good job on it but it still bothers me a bit, especially when you consider the great job they did with other aspects of the game where lore is concerned.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 2:24PM Lenn said

@Nottom But it doesn't contradict canon. It'd be a whole different story if there were thousands of them running around the Shire, but it's just one.

My fear (and I guess that of many others) was that Saruman would be some kind of raid boss, or that we would end up fighting alongside the Ents. That would have been lore-breakage of epic levels. Since MMO players demand raids (?), Turbine had to do something. And nothing says epic like a big-ass dragon. Besides, they had already used up all the Balrogs they could muster, and another giant tortoise would sit even less well with the lorists than a dragon.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:41AM nomoredroids said

So Turbine's decided to entirely drop the pretense of sticking to the lore, then?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:11PM (Unverified) said

@nomoredroids I'm quite fine with the LotRO 'expanded universe' that doesn't directly contradict the known canon. The game has been a blast to play.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:32PM aurickle said

@nomoredroids
The lore allows for any number of dragons. Only four were actually named by Tolkien and any other named dragons in Middle Earth are considered to be non-canon. That doesn't mean that they violate lore, however.

In fact, Tolkien even alludes to other dragons without naming them. Remember that four of the dwarven rings wound up in the bellies of dragons and/or consumed by dragon fire. Since two of the named dragons were dead before the Third Age even begins, that leaves only Smaug and Scatha. So either these two dragons were VERY busy or there were more dragons that Tolkien never wrote directly about.

All scions of Glaurung (the first dragon, created in the First Age) were capable of breeding on their own. It is actually really silly to assume that thousands of years later the Third Age would only have two dragons!

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:32PM bobfish said

@nomoredroids

It is technically within the lore, but they really are pushing it way beyond what most people understand Middle Earth to be like.

Warner's War in the North RPG is doing the same thing, going way off into territories that Tolkien didn't define in detail and basically making it as or more epic than what he did write about.

Personally, I think Tolkien Estates, the "lore holders" are purely in it for the money now and couldn't give a damn about anything else.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:56PM Lenn said

@bobfish The Tolkien Estate has nothing to say about either Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. The rights to those, and all content, lie with Tolkien Enterprises (or Middle-earth Enterprises, as they're known nowadays), which is an entirely different company, owned by Saul Zaentz, a Hollywood movie producer (which is where your money-grubbing theory comes into play).

The Tolkien Estate still has the rights to all other works by Tolkien, which is why Turbine, for instance, is not allowed to allude to anything that happened in any of the other Middle-earth works by Tolkien, unless mentioned in The Hobbit or Rings as well.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:19PM happyfish said

@nomoredroids What would you recommend for boss style battles? The watcher was pretty awesome, and we already have a giant spider and turtle. I think turbine has done a pretty good job working with the limitations the lore allows. I think a dragon raid instance is close enough to the lore (along the lines of playable elves and hobbits leaving the shire) that I'm fine with it.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:05PM dudes said

Dragon says: chomp chomp Hobbits are so good, but I prefer Dwarfs, especially well-grilled.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:13PM Carolina said

@dudes What a difficult choice. Tater stuffed fried hobbit or beer stuffed roasted dwarf? ...maybe both?

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:37PM donweel said

I would pre-order a box set. But I just can't handle anymore huge downloads. They could have made a real nice package out of this. Too bad.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:48PM SupahGamuh said

Wait, what?, now they'll add dragons?. I think that it'll be time to return to Middle Earth when I'm done with Hyboria.