Posted: Jul 14th 2011 8:03PM Fabius Bile said

• 1 heart
I'll never understand why asians are so fond of this "fatigue" system, and why on earth they cannot grasp that bringing said feature to western versions is doomed to fail in the most epic manner...

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 8:09PM DevilSei said

@Fabius Bile

It's not really them being fond of it, its that many areas of Asia have "limitations" set on how long, or when, someone can play an MMO, because of the vastly larger "death by gaming" that occurs.

The Fatigue system is just them internalizing said limitations, to help drive home that point.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 8:53PM Irem said

@Fabius Bile
It took the Japanese fanbase by surprise when it was discovered, too, and they didn't like it any more than the NA fans did. It's not present in FFXI, and a popular theory is that it was only added because SE wanted to market the game heavily in those areas DevilSei mentioned.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 3:25PM bobfish said

@Fabius Bile

Western games have it too...

FFXIV = Start with bonus XP and it diminishes over time (FATIGUE)

WoW = Start with normal XP and bonus is added over time (REST)

Posted: Jul 16th 2011 9:51AM Sukiyaki said

@bobfish
Its all perception. Western marketing is simply better or more used to exploit western gamers weaknesses: relative higher shortsightedness, laziness, stupidity , incompetence and worse calculation skill

Average Western gamer perception:
receive two 100 g chocolate bars > one 200g chocolate bars
receive two 200 g choc get taken one 200 < get on 200 g choc bar
OMG why did I only get one chocolate bar in this game??? in my epic loot grinder I always got two!!!
OMG I lost 200g choc this game sucks! I will go back to my instant gratification game where no one can fail!

Average Eastern gamer perception:
receive two 100 g chocolate bars = one 200g chocolate bars
receive two 200 g choc get taken one 200 = get on 200 g choc bar
Who cares what I get, they both are objectively the same and none looks better than the other.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 8:08PM DevilSei said

Huh... a bit of durability damage... compared to getting kicked in the nuts XP-wise because you enjoy playing a certain class a little too long...

I think people can live with that!

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:04PM Yog said

The fatigue system was actually one of the qualifiers of me returning to FFXIV. Here's to hoping they hit my other qualifiers.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 9:47PM Jade Effect said

Fatigue systems were also present in Allods Online and Atlantica Online. Nobody likes them. They are simply added as an artificial roadblock to slow down player's progress so the players will spend more time playing.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 10:51PM Tizmah said

Fatigue systems are slowly and quietly slipping into our Western games here through social/casual games that restrict gameplay because the player is doing something too much and make you wait until tomorrow.

I was majorly disappointed by one upcoming social game MMO that I thought was pretty cool for once, until it threw that curveball at me.

I just don't understand it. It's like they are trying to corral your fun time.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 11:11PM hami83 said

@Tizmah That's not a fatigue system. That's a system where you are severely restricted on what you can do unless you drop money.

It's usually in F2P MMOs, and mainly on MMO-like games on Apple devices.
I don't recall many if any PC MMOs that have such restrictions, and I've played a lot.
I've seen things that are a super grind to do unless you spend money, but never ones that tell you to wait til tomorrow.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:29AM Tizmah said

@hami83 I agree with you, but they do share similarities that cold easily roll right into the other. I'm not saying that this kind of thing will happen to MMOs, but many people that are being introduce to games through social gaming are getting used to it and "ok" with it. I mean what if a social MMO hit off really big that had a thing where to had to wait until tomorrow?

I'm not saying it will happen. But it could be a possibility.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 12:13AM Brandon S said

"The Fatigue system was one of the most hated features of Final Fantasy XIV before the game had even hit release. Even though it was almost impossible to hit the mythical point where you started getting less experience, nobody liked the idea of having your gains cut when you were having fun"

I'm happy about the news, but kind of disagree with the wording here. "almost impossible?" Not really. My friends and I hit fatigue every time we went out to leve without changing classes.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 1:58AM real65rcncom said

After launch and seeing what a mess this game was, I was so far from caring about it I might as well been in a different universe from SE.

But as I see them fix up and take things out that ran me away in the first place, it does look interesting.

I'm still not ready to come back yet but I'm curious (and impressed) to see just how far they are taking this fixing business seriously.

Posted: Jul 15th 2011 9:57AM WonderPenguin said

@Brandon S

Agreed. I'm by no means a hardcore player (I work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week) and I've still hit both class and physical fatigue. It's frustrating because once you've hit it, it's pretty difficult to get out of even with the weekly reset.

The Stream Team: Adios, Elite: Dangerous