Posted: Jul 13th 2011 10:49AM Barinthos said

Now I haven't played FFXI in...yeesh, years, and don't know exactly what they've changed to compliment "gaming on the go". But when I did play FFXI, it was a time sink like no other. Requiring long sessions of grouping, camping and grinding.

So I can't really see the port to PSV boosting, or even assisting sales for FFXI unless the "casual" aspect was added to the game. Gaming on the go has one major benefit than console or PC gaming. You can pick a game, play for 10 or 15 minutes by yourself, accomplish a couple things and then shut it off without having to upset 3/4/5 other people because of it.

So I'm all for adding "aging" MMOs to a portable device, but an MMO that's a grind fest may not be received well.

***Keep in mind, this is all based on MY experience with FFXI. So if the gameplay and solo friendly atmosphere has changed, please tell me.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 10:56AM Viper2KRT said

@Barinthos
It's still not completely casual, but SE has done a lot to reduce some of the annoying aspects. I haven't played in about a 14 months, but when I did they had a lot more solo options than they did in the past.

The interface would have to be cleaned up and I'm not sure how fun typing would be on this. Not to mention battery drain with a constant wi-fi connection needed...

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 11:11AM Barinthos said

@Viper2KRT

Thanks for the info Viper. I guess I was just thinking about the gaming aspect and didn't think about the UI or communication in the game.

And if Sony is "confident" that the battery for the PSV is comparable to the PSP that's 4 to 6 hours of gaming without a constant Wi-Fi connection. And since Wi-Fi is a pretty big battery killer (if my tablet is any indication) then you can effectively cut those estimates in half.

Either way, I'm still pretty interested in how this will go. I still fondly remember FFXI when I played back in the day. I would love to go back to it, but the grind...ugh, the grind lol.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 11:19AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
XIV alone is reason not support any SE titles, it's a insult to gamers and their fan base. It is the worst made MMO, and it's not possible to ever truly fix it. SquareEnix needs to be made a example of, by hitting their wallets.

Boycott SE products.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 11:59AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

SE have paid, and are still paying, for the mess that is FFIV.
No reason to trash a established game because the new one sucks.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 12:10PM alzeer said

@(Unverified)
or deal with SE like grownups do : buy their good games and pass on the bad ones

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 2:47PM Space Cobra said

@alzeer

Well said.

And to the first unverified; maybe it's time to change your avatar if you don't like SE products no more...

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 11:49AM slickie said

Yo dawg, I heard you'd like to play Final Fantasy XI at work, so I put it on a gaming handheld so you can grind while you grind.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 1:09PM myr said

I really don't see this working at all. XI is more of a sit for several hours at a time game even today. Less so than it was previously, but you're still rewarded more the more time you put in at once. Something you can't often do on a mobile system.

XIV on the other hand.. I could see that working on a mobile platform... considering leves and crafting being short activities, and no real reward for stringing them together.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 2:05PM Yog said

It's a good idea on the surface and would be awesome except for the fact that FFXI requires hours upon hours of gameplay in one sitting...could you imagine doing that on a PSVita? Yeah, I think not.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 2:51PM Space Cobra said

Well, if you can hook up your Vita to a TV screen at home...maybe.

Like most said, any MMO with a strong stat-building RPG element like FFXI is...not that great on a portable, unless you plan to go camping or wait in line for the next PS4/XBox720 releases or that final get-together tour of the Beatles.

Umm...please don't wait for that last one! ;P

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 2:53PM Space Cobra said

"that while a Vita port is a possibility, the difficulties of working with the PlayStation 3 mean that a version on that console doesn't look likely (the PS3 version of XIV is still in limbo)."

Also, this made me a sad panda.

I understand what Sony did there, but I guess it's time to change tactics with their PS4 whenever it eventually comes out. (And yeah, Joystiq is probably the blog for that comment!)

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 7:38PM koehler83 said

@Space Cobra People have long since adapted. Many devs would be pissed if they'd have to throw out 6+ years of code development for the PS3.

Square Enix in particular have simply wasted that time. Now over 5 years since their original promise of "Full and robust support for PlayStation 3" what do they have to show for it? Nothing. Not a god damn thing. What do they have to show for it elsewhere? Nothing. Not a god damn thing.

Just because SE couldn't make it happen says nothing about the hardware. The game runs on PS2 ffs. It's not like they had to really dig deep into the hardware resources to make it possible. Both God of War games were ported from PS2 to PS3 in a matter of a few months. Sly Cooper, same thing. Prince of Persia, same thing. Metal Gear Solid, same thing.

Square Enix are simply piss poor developers. They are the Research in Motion of video games.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 12:36AM (Unverified) said

I could see getting this for most non-combat activities (crafting, gardening, AH, etc.), or casual combat. I don't think many non-gamepad players would go for it, though. The pricepoint would probably be a big factor, too. This long into the game's lifespan, and any more than $30 would probably see few adopters.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 3:04AM (Unverified) said

A lot of you guys act like you haven't played this game for awhile. Really if you know what you are doing you can do a good amount level wise in a small amount of time. Jump into some Abyssea, Dynamis is completely different and you get experience in it now, missions are very fun, and you can do tomes and get experience from it without waiting an hour to do it again. Also the raised the experience you get from weaker monsters. Also there is level sync which they added a few years ago. This just sounds great to me I love FFXI and I love portable games. So this is a win-win for me :D