Posted: Jul 12th 2011 8:52AM Yellowdancer said

@Tempes Magus

Hey Temp,

This is kind of interesting. I look back on Champions Online when they wanted to release DLC and the community on the whole went nuts. This DLC seems to have the community split but most don't seem to mind the extra charge. I don't count the comments here because most people here are not players. Speaking of the DCUO forums. I think if it were anyone else but GL, the whole community would revolt. So that was a smart move to kick it off with this character. At any rate, I find the feedback comical as I read through the comments.

It also appears that SOE will continue releasing zones, instances and raids updates for free on a sorta monthly basis(give a week or two for PS3 validation). These Power + instance releases will have a charge attached to them. If that's the case, I'm fine with it. But that's because I'm a huge DC/Comics fan and I'm fairly stable financially. If I were neither of those, I'd probably be outraged also.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 10:29AM Furdinand said

@Yellowdancer If monthly updates became more regular, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this. Their track record so far on getting new content out in a timely manner isn't great though.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 11:08AM Yellowdancer said

@Tempes Magus

I see your point and agree that companies should earn our money. Suppose this content is of high enough quality, wouldn't that be earning the extra $10? We still have yet to hear the full details on this content and its unknown what DCUO will add between now and the release of this content. Lot of unknowns here.

I'd also like to add...if I added up $10 of content I purchased in LOTRO with the $10 I purchased in EQ2X...they do not equal half of the content you get with this x-pack. In fact, isn't a bonus class alone $10 in LOTRO?

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 12:42PM Yellowdancer said

@Tempes Magus

I donno...really can't say if the DLC revenue will go to supporting a team that creates DLC content. They have said they have the largest live MMO team at SOE in the past.

Let me ask..would it be more acceptable if they offered the powers for $5 and the instances free? But then the DLC seems kinda skimpy.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 1:34PM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

And that's where the suits have us by the man diamonds...If we protest too loud they just cancel projects/games...if we buy the products they just add on more charges. With MMO's...consumers just don't have any power.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 7:07PM real65rcncom said

Yeah, it may be turning out that way.

I doubt I would spend anymore money. There's other games coming out now I'd rather purchase instead if that's the case.

I guess if they go FTP at some point, lifetime subs would get it then.

Meh, I can wait for that.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 5:22PM ErikC said

@Yellowdancer So let them cancel the games. These are not vital products they are creating. It doesn't really matter if they are released or not. You have THEM by the balls.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 6:19PM Yellowdancer said

@ErikC

No, that is wrong. See, when one company cancels any game it discourages investors into other MMO's. So again the consumer loses. If a big name like Sony fails, why should a little known developer with amateur talent succeed...that's how investors think. And the result is wow-clone after wow-clone and pre-existing IP's. Nothing original and nothing innovative.

Also, the complaints are going to the wrong place. People are complaining on Massively or other sites and SOE forums...but No one is complaining to DC or WB. They have the license and the power.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 7:28PM Valkenr said

So glad i un-subbed after my "legends" discount was up for renewal

SOE just doesn't quit.

First they say the NGE was a huge mistake, then don't revert.

Now they put a paid expansion out for a game that was supposed to be F2P, but had a sub thrown in on the justification "the sub pays ALL NEW CONTENT"

All subscribers where told they would never have to pay more than the sub price for the game. The life-timers must be pissed, since they now have to pay more for a game that probably won't survive long enough to justify the lifetime sub.

Seriously, it's time for sony to get hacked again, 10 times harder than the last time, they need to be punished for their hypocracy. I'm guessing their security hasn't changed much anyway.

Posted: Jul 14th 2011 1:55AM (Unverified) said

Game isnt even an MMO in my honest opinion. Its a single player game that turns into a two to five player grind and bore. Glad I didnt give them anything past the box purchase. And by the way Im a huge COMIC NUT !!

Posted: Jul 18th 2011 8:28PM claytondora said

Yeah, I see this as a large FU to their paying players. $15 a month for the sub, and on top of that that want you to pay for content updates on top of that? I'm glad I didn't get involved in DCUO yet, cause this spells big trouble if this is a trend they plan to continue.
Imagine paying $10 for every big content update, and lets say there are four per expansion period. Lets then say the expansion costs $40. Add on top of that the $15 dollars a month you already for a sub, and your down hundreds of dollars.
If I were a DCUO player, which I'm not, I'd tell SOE to shove it and refuse to pay 10 dollars for what should be a free update. What are they doing with your $15 dollars every month? Do they expect you to believe it costs $15 just to keep one players worth of characters active and on a server?

Hit them in the moneysacks and they will listen.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories