Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:12PM Vgk said

@mechanicalturk I think he was referring to content updates, but let's compare this update some of the things WoW has done.

DCUO is giving 2 dungeons and what appears to be 1 raid for $10, Blizzard during their argent tournament thing added, 1 dungeon and 1 raid for free, that is not counting the new quest hub and new quests that were added. in the next update they added 3 dungeons, a huge raid (ICC) for free, and then again a month or 2 later they added another free dungeon.

The first update is about the scope of what we'll see in DCUO for $10 and the ICC update is bigger, all of this was given for free.
IT WAS INCLUDED AS PART OF OUR $15 A MONTH

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:49PM stealthrider said

@Vgk

You're not including the massive 48-ability power set. No WoW patch has ever included something of that magnitude for free.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 6:12PM Dirame said

@stealthrider

What is 48 abilities when you can only use 15? And what is 48 abilities when the only content you can use them in is content you already done before.
Yes I can definitely say that what we are paying for is the powerset but that just seems to weak of an argument when I look at it.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 1:00PM Tinkus said

Well, I said as soon as the Lanterns were in I'd pick the game up, so...

Wait. This is DLC? Fuck that, then. I might play this when it inevitably goes FtP.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 1:24PM pcgneurotic said

Interesting that they're using console terminology to describe new content (download pack, downloadable content) and not the PC terminology (patches, mini expansions etc).

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:03PM ErikC said

@pcgneurotic Also notice that they are adding three alerts ("maps"). What does that remind you of?

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:24PM pcgneurotic said

@ErikC

haha, yeah - 'bang bang shoot shoot'. :D

We see you SOE, we see you veeery clearly! :D

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

As long as update 4 doesn't get thrown on the backburner and this is, indeed extra content, I suppose I'm ok with it. Free (or covered by the normal sub price) would have been good obviously and I don't think it would have killed SOE to offer it as a good-will gesture to the loyals but business is business.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 2:32PM Alph said

This is a bunch of crap. B.S. like this makes me want the game to fail hard despite my lifetime sub.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 2:50PM PacketBurner said

Well sadly looks to me like the "lifetime" sub guys are the majority of the player base now (i'm not one just guessing in truth) so paid updates are the way forward in that scenario.

I know SOE is a monster in many ways but surely they aren't dumb enough to enrage customers and turn off newcomers wtih this kind of pricing model unless they had too... would they (not sure of anything since monoclegate)

I was tempted by this once upon a time, but the news surrounding it doesn't get much better each time i read about it

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:46PM Yellowdancer said

@PacketBurner

Majority of players I meet on PC are monthly. All the PS3 players are monthly. I have a lifetime. Makes this news easy for me.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:58PM Fire Walk With Me said

@Yellowdancer because you have a lifetime sub for a game that will be dead in a year?

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:21PM Dunraven said

I'm sorry as much as I love DCUO Champions is kicking it ass lately with content and the new Lairs.

I hope this puts them back on top for me.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:47PM Yellowdancer said

@Dunraven

Wait, Champions pulls this same charge subscribers for content move that SOE is pulling.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:59PM Lenn said

@Yellowdancer No, it doesn't.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:38PM Yellowdancer said

@Lenn

LOL...This is where I say "Yes it does" and you respond "No it doesn't"....

No CO doesn't not release powers with DLC but it does throw more in the store than the subscribers stipend can cover. You only get 1 lair type for free. Future lair updates will be cash only. The sidekicks are powers or buffs that you can only get through the cash shop. Its the same tactic.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 6:10PM Lenn said

@Yellowdancer Playable content, as in adventure packs and comic series, are free to subscribers. Power sets are free to subscribers. I fail to see how that even remotely compares to what SOE is pulling here with DCUO. They are charging for the kind of content that Champions offers its subscribers for free. Costume parts, fun powers and sidekicks are fluff. Nothing more.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 3:40PM Tezcatli said

Whatever inkling I had to spend money on this game just went out the window. People always argue about paying $15 a month, I have to defend it with the added content that's free, these guys just shoot that argument in the foot. Then get a handsaw and lop the leg off, followed by feeding it to gators.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 4:18PM (Unverified) said

They are thinking of this an a Mini-Xpac so $9.99 is fine for the new powers and zones. BUT... if they start charging 9.99 every few months, then I will pRAY that another company takes over DCUO.

As it is, the game IS NOT PROMOTED at all!!! And there should be at least 5million players, but there isnt bec ause SOE is horribly cheap and does not promote their games(except for the same pool of current players that ALREADY know about the game)

Devs need to wake up and promote to those that dont know about MMOs, rather than ONLY promoting to currently biased and horrribly spoiled gamers.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 8:34PM mysecretid said

@(Unverified)

Respectfully, I don't think the game needs more promotion. It needs more playable content beyond PvP and instanced raid-like group missions.

The problem is, DCUO launched without fulfilling its basic promise: "play a character in the DC Universe".

It's one of the only major-publisher MMORPGs where I've repeatedly found myself with not enough PvE missions to play to level up.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM