Posted: Jul 11th 2011 10:30PM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
Yep.

Yes, It's officially a fire sale now.

This was the Headstart deal given to those that 'acted now!" Who brings this back out four months later if things are good and almost 40 servers are closed off?

Now they are dusting it off again trying to lock people in before SWTOR, GW2 and TSW comes out. Looks like if they can get you to spend money on this now, they'll hope you won't spend money on those other titles going out. Shifty, very shifty.

This is starting to look like one company worthy of SOE's money grubbing title. How many 'sales' in four months is the now exactly, lol?

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 10:45PM Vorender said

@real65rcncom

So, by offering different kinds of discounts, they are money...grubbing? Interesting. Tell me, do you get angry if someone breaks up your cookie into pieces because it makes "more"?

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 11:28PM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
@Vorender

No I don't. But thanks for asking.

It's not really the discounts, it's the amount of 'sales' they've had in four months time and decreased almost 40 servers to log into.

I don't fault them for doing business, but it's really a bad sign.

Just sayin'..

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 2:07AM Sorithal said

@real65rcncom

Chances are the reasoning behind the server closures was due to them releasing a ton of new servers over the course of the first month or so, when the new release excitement was flowing to where they -needed- those extra servers. It's what happens with most MMOs other than WoW. All it means is a decent chunk of the "WOO NEW GAME TIME TO TRY IT OUT FOR A MONTH OR SO!" crowd has left, and the game's getting a more stable, dedicated playerbase.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 2:39AM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) Rift is fine. Game is fine. New content added now. Please resub. We have good sale now. Please try again.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 3:54AM Dranaerys said

@real65rcncom Nah, I think Ill resub to WoW, where meaningful content updates occur every 8 months. WHATADEAL!

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 3:59AM ShivanSwordsman said

@real65rcncom

Y'know what the saddest thing of all is? I'd have bought and played this game if it had just been one fee without the monthly subs. I played the beta, and it brought nothing new to the table, though it was incredibly stable, and polished, and even pretty fun. The Rifts were the best part, I loved grinding the rifts, and their system where you would get new skills as you put points into a new soul.

However, I couldn't get over the monthly fee charge, and thus I punted it. I will never say Rift was a bad game. It wasn't. It was crazy customizable, the armor sets actually looked pretty night, and if the dudes were just as naked as the chicks when wearing certain armors, or both were fully covered. My hopes are that they change over to Buy To Play, or go Free To Play. I'd rather it be Buy To Play, honestly, with purchasable expansions, like in the old days, and the system Guild Wars used.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 6:42AM Mystal said

@Sorithal

Stable or not, it's a much SMALLER user base.

As a former player of RIFT, I don't hate it. It's exactly what a lot of people said it was: a well made WoW clone with a twist or two to make it slightly different. After about two months, I got my fill of the game and moved on, like a lot of people.

RIFT needs something more than the "dynamic" RIFT events to set it apart over the long run. Offering deep discounts for the game (saw it for 9.99 on Steam a few weekends back) and subscriptions don't indicate a game that's in a healthy place. How long before they make the "F2P" transition?

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 8:58AM sortius said

@ShivanSwordsman you'll get no sympathy here for monthly fees. This is an MMO site, dry up.

The fees aren't the problem with Rift, and never have been. Sure, it'd be NICE to have it as F2P, but that's not where they took it.

For me, it's just that Rift is yet another fantasy MMO, no, I'm not saying "it's like WoW", I'm saying, it's a really well done, fun fantasy MMO and I'm just over them. I can tell there's a lot of people out there feeling the same. Sale or no, they won't get me back unfortunately.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 9:42AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

EQ2 has maybe 100-200k active players. Did you see yesterday's post? Huge patch dealing with major community issues, widespread approval and thanks from a happy community. Continues to be profitable.

LOTRO was supposed to be the ultimate big-budget failure, going F2P. Of course, F2P increase revenue substantially, and the user community is roughly 500k active players. 3rd expansion is coming; Turbine continues to do well and produces expansions and content.

Age of Conan was the poster child for the DOA MMO. And yet is still is being supported by Funcom, with a modest population base that is zealous in their defense of what the game does well. I'm sure these 40k hardcore AoC fans bothers you immensely, and keeps you up at night.

Rift is going through the inevitable decline after 3-6 months, consolidating the community to a sustainable number. Trion is active in every space imagineable to make their game a success -- advertising, pricing, regular content updates, managing server populations in creative ways, and active engagement with the community. It still might not be everyone's favorite game -- especially if they've burned out on oter DIKU MMOs, like the market behemoth WoW.

Prematurely dancing of the supposed grave of a new product which has done so many things *right*, speaks more about you than any failings of Trion.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 10:57AM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)
"The MMO community needs to move away from the 'eat your young' mentality, starting with posts like yours. No MMO can be successful other than WoW, since WoW makes up more than 50% of the MMO worldwide population; anything that is less is a failure?"

Wtf are you on about, mate? I'm not in your community. I'm a bloke who buys and plays video games. You think this is a neighborhood or something, lol?

I didn't mention WoW at all. Get your brain cleaned out because you have some sort of complex.

If a company makes a good game, they don't even think about WoW. If a company makes a average game or crappy game, it's "WoW this and WoW that" from it's fanbois.

Eve doesn't care about WoW. FFXI doesn't care about WoW. Guildwars doesn't care about WoW. DAoC didn't care about WoW. Games that follow their own design don't care about WoW. Only copycats do.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 6:47PM Faith said

@real65rcncom

Oh noes, McDonalds just had a "Buy 2 apple pies for $1" sale, that must mean McDonalds is going out of business!!! It's the only logical conclusion!!!

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 7:14PM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
@Faith
Mmos are like apple pies.

Not. Thanks for playing!

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 10:49PM (Unverified) said

I always thought it was funny how Trion makes such a big deal about this. Pretty much all sub MMOs offer special deals if you sub for more than one month. Come to think of it, Rift is the only game that I recall that doesn't offer savings all the time when subbing for more than one month.

How is this news?

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 11:01PM hami83 said

@(Unverified) Because it still IS news technically speaking.
You can debate if this is interesting news, but it still IS news.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 1:12AM Ghostspeaker said

@(Unverified)

Actually, it has been the entire time. The sale has lowered the price for multi-month subs even further.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 11:31PM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
true but at this point, isn't it like the nightly evening news where they say someone got shot.. again?

After awhile, it's the same stuff.

"In other news today, Trion Worlds announced another sale to the game RIFT. This marks the 5th sale they've had since launch four months ago. No other news was pending from Trion as executives refused comment for this story."

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 2:34AM real65rcncom said

• Half a heart
@Puremallace

You're wrong. It's FOUR months in, not three. Can't count?

And until I see the PvP content, I won't believe it. If it comes out like the last PvP attention, it's not going to be that good.

Posted: Jul 11th 2011 11:58PM meanieme said

It's because all of us suckers who got locked in for 6 months from the original "Headstart" sub packages have fled kicking and screaming when renewal time came up.
They're just trolling for the next batch of suckers.

Posted: Jul 12th 2011 12:10AM ImperialPanda said

@meanieme

And they'll get them too. If anything, I think Trion has done an excellent job at managing the population decline. (I think it's safe to say that there's been some form of population decline? Considering they've closed 1/3 of their servers)