Posted: Jul 10th 2011 10:16AM dudes said

It's the whole spider baby in fantasy and reality thing all over again. Father Ted style.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 10:46AM angrymatt said

I like ArcherAvatar's comments, and agree with him about Minecraft. However, I think the problem is almost unsolvable, as a good sandbox shouldn't restrict the player at all. They need the freedom to be "bad guys" if they want to be, I just think it's a shame that so many people don't choose to be good "bad guys" ie... attack other players when doing so give them an advantage or appropriate reward, loot, xp, whatever, but rather choose to be dicks and spend their time attacking noobs with no hope of defeating them, and the only reward is they get to be dicks on the internet.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 11:24AM Eamil said

@angrymatt "a good sandbox shouldn't restrict the player at all. They need the freedom to be "bad guys" if they want to be"

I'm not sure I agree with that. There's room for different types of sandboxes. I wasn't a fan of SWG post-NGE (I say that not to bash but because I never got the chance to try the game pre-NGE) but it seems to be the poster child for non-PvP sandboxes and no one seems to have a problem with that. It's one thing that I think they have in common with theme park MMOs - if one doesn't do PvP the way you personally like it, you can find one that does. They don't all have to be gankfests.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 12:13PM badkins1102 said

@angrymatt There should always be an option for you to allow or not allow people to ruin your enjoyment of a game you pay for. That's why PVE and PVP servers exist. While PVP focused people may take the same attitude you have, the majority of people (especially casual gamers) would completely disagree with what you said.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 12:48PM Pingles said

@angrymatt

I don't think that an environment with MORE Freedom that a themepark MMO has to be an environment with NO laws.

Granted, a very, very small portion of the MMO market is at all interested in a Sandbox game (my guess would be 98% of MMOers are in Themeparks) and very few investors are willing to let developers experiment with a new market so Sandboxes generally get pushed towards the established no-holds-barred PvPers.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 1:12PM Irem said

@Pingles
I think the majority of MMO players ending up in themeparks is a chicken-or-egg dilemma. Are they there because they honestly aren't interested in sandbox gameplay, or are they there because most sandboxes aren't as polished and have a reputation for punishing mechanics and ruthless PvP?

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 4:22PM DarkWalker said

@angrymatt

My simple rule about sandboxes (and MMOs in general): if I find out I can ruin someone's else fun, I don't play.

If I can ruin someone's else fun, it also means someone else can ruin my fun. I prefer to go have fun where I don't risk it being ruined, so I get out of the game ASAP.

I love sandboxes. I just can't stand someone else invading my corner of the sandbox and stomping on my sand castle.

Posted: Jul 10th 2011 10:35PM OrionsGambit said

@DarkWalker

Than it's not a sandbox lol