Posted: Jul 7th 2011 5:20PM cray said

I agree with Krayzjoel. I don't really view my online relationships (whether its games, forums, or chat) as friends, not in the true sense of the word. I believe you can be friendly without actually being friends. I consider my exclusively online relationships as acquaintances. I know it sounds harsh, but being friendly online is just not the same as friendship in real life.

There are quite a few acquaintances that I would love to be friends, but obviously the distance and our lives outside of the internet get in the way of things. I have gained true friends over the years by actually meeting them and doing real life things on regular bases.

Posted: Jul 9th 2011 12:47AM ImperialPanda said

@cray

I think it depends on how much you play. The more often you play an MMO, the more "in-game friends" will mean to you. The less often you play, the less those friends will mean.

"Real-life friends" are really no different. How close you are depends on how much time you spend (or have spent) with them.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 5:56PM Flicktion said

I've met numerous people over the years online who if I'd had met in rl then we'd probably still be in touch, but I don't think any less of them because we didn't have the luxury. While I wouldn't consider any of them "best friends" or anything I would consider some old friends and would very much enjoy talking with them again today.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 7:00PM jamiefluk said

When Planetside was in its hayday, I had a regular wingman by the name of Yvanhoe. We flew for the NC in our Reavers, coordinated massive airstrikes and had an awesome time everynight. Eventually w left PS for greener pastures. I have his old hotmail address but never knew his real name. I still think of him regularly whenever I fly anything in any game. With PS Next on the horizon I hope I'll fly into him one day. Yvanhoe, if you read this, JreaperT misses you buddy!

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 8:56PM Elikal said

Yes. Noam, which whom I played SWG and EQ2 for 5 years, day by day. He suddenly vanished and I never learned what happened. Keeps me sad and afraid something happened to him.

All my friends from Mystic Alliance from the great SWG days.... miss them a lot, but they went to other games than me. I tend to have less of a friendship these days, since most people hop from MMO to MMO in matters of months now. So I feel like no real online friendships form anymore as it used to be.

Posted: Jul 13th 2011 2:18AM cray said

I don't use time spent as criteria of who my friends are. A friend is someone I can share my daily life with. Playing games or just chatting online is not my whole life. I have known many people online for nearly 20 years, I'm careful to say they are ONLINE friends or acquaintances. My true friends know who they are and we do things beyond what the internet offers.