Posted: Jul 7th 2011 8:24AM Popplewell said

I remember a guy who played a female toon and told me the tale of how he destroyed a guild when he revealed he wasn't female.

If you lose touch with someone because they aren't playing the same MMO as you anymore then describing them as a "friend" was an exaggeration.

Obviously there are those guilds and real life friends that stick together but in general MMO communties are fragile and easily destroyed by unpopular content patches, SWG being the most obvious example.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:09AM Aqualis said

Thus the creation of Gaming Communities. We got tired of going from game to game and never making friendships because it would only last till we all stopped playing the game.

So like others and myself, we started making multi-gaming communities. So people can stick around together and be able to jump between different games.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:12AM Mikkhail said

I have had close "game" friends on several MMO's ... but I don't think that there was ever any illusion that we were ever real life friends ... I know that some guilds have get togethers at Blizzcon or whatever and form some bonds outside games, but I have a feeling that it is the exception and not the rule ... the majority of the time, when you drop the game, you drop the "in game" friends also ....

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:14AM Ocho said

I definitely have friends that I met inside MMOs. But this is what makes social networks great, like Facebook. Through it, I still get to keep in touch with them, even if I've stopped gaming with them years ago. The best memories I have is simply running basic dungeons, or having fun guild events, or just talking in guild chat. I'm glad I was able to still keep in touch with them. It would've been a real shame if they ended up lost to time.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:23AM Yellowdancer said

I miss my old guild from EQ1. Hello Tal Kor! We lost many corpses together. /corpse

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:37AM sjet said

yeah... you move on, never forgetting them but never looking back.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:40AM KDolo said

I do. but i dont really think about them

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:42AM meancheez said

I've known one friend I originally met on Runescape for over a decade now. We went from that to Phantasy Star Online and then to WoW, never at the exact same time but always overlapping. We probably haven't played the same game for a few years now, but we keep in touch and text regularly.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:49AM (Unverified) said

Yeah I had a group of friends where we played a number of games together. It was fun while it lasted. :]

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 10:03AM chuckasucka said

I love all you Priory of Zandalar people

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 10:10AM Valentina said

I thought that you meant departed as in deceased when I read the header. But yeah I have people that I used to talk to all the time in games but lost contact with. Usually if I consider them a friend we begin talking outside of the game, though and I have several friends I met while playing WOW that I am good friends with today. We don't play games together anymore right now but we do hang out.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 10:16AM Pingles said

Played Dark Age of Camelot and became "friends" with a player.

I had a bot account. My friend lost his job and had to give up his MMO subscription to save money.

I gave him my bot account to play and he used it for about a year.

We lost touch.

I always wonder how you're doing, Kritter!

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 10:39AM Krayzjoel said

My RL friends are my friends. Anyone in an MMO is a temporary aquaintance and I will be courteous and friendly to a point. I make sure to keep everyone at "arms length" for various reasons good or bad.

To me MMO's arent a dating site, facebook page, friends finder, or podiums for debates. It is a game and I treat it as such.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 11:34AM chuckasucka said

@Krayzjoel

Then you are missing the point. You could have gained some really awesome friends.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 1:11PM Krayzjoel said

@chuckasucka

Sorry but i'll disagree with you.
1. I've witnessed guilds disband over guildies having an affairs and marriage breakups.
2. I've witnesses guilds disband over political comments and downright hatred. (after the crackdowns)
3. Ive seen and heard people being downright hateful to religious players.
4. Ive heard and had to team up with people bragging about being currently high while playing.
5. People that I really came to enjoy talking to and team up with move on and never hear from them again.

I cant think of them all, but this some but not all reasons i choose to keep people at arms length. The less I know the better.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 11:12AM Seldra said

WoW aside from GW is an MMO that I've played for years so I made some friends there, even though I left WoW I keep in contact with them in Facebook. In this day in age, if you really want to stay in contact with MMO friends there's always social networking sites.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 11:43AM Rothane said

I "knew" a lot of people from playing EQ1 for five years, but that was well before voice servers such as Teamspeak and Ventrilo were popular, much less social media such as Twitter and Facebook. I believe this is why we never really connected on an out-of-game level. I didn't know anyone's real-life names, and they didn't know mine. I don't think any of them play EQ anymore, so reconnecting with them would be nearly impossible. It's very different with my WoW guild, which I've also been involved with for five years. I know pretty much everyone's real names, and we hold an annual guild party on Blizzcon weekend on the east coast at our guild leader's home. I think we still kept everyone at arms' distance back before voice servers.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 1:03PM SkuzBukit said

I think that "ephemeral" friendships are the norm in MMO's anything more substantial probably, though not always, requires some interaction outside of the game.

I think Facebook has been enormously influential in allowing Gamers to remain in touch with each other, though for myself it was the fact that the guild I joined in EverQuest maintained their own message board/forums to allow for many players across multiple games to communicate & stay in touch long before the advent of Facebook & it's predecessors that was ultimately more important, I have friends from that game that I am still in contact with almost 9 years on, & 2 years since I quit, various bunches of us sometime flock to the same game & those friendships can be a force for both good & bad, quickly forming groups & providing competitive reasons to progress in new titles whilst also at times bringing with it intra-clique cliques that can exclude some of us.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 2:06PM Narof said

When I started playing MMO's more than 10 years ago most gamesonly had US servers and not UK/EU ones.

I went though Asherons Call/DAOC/AO and my first couple of years of WOW with a mainly US guild called THoB (The House of Bels)

Once UK/EU servers started coming out I lost track of loads of friends from THoB, which I think broke up eventually, which is a shame as I had loads of great times with them.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 5:13PM Lateris said

I try to keep in touch by having my own message boards.