Posted: Jul 7th 2011 7:25PM Yog said

• 1 heart
I have a personal rule not to meet anyone I've met online in person. I'm a grown adult so it's not to do with safety...just personal sanity. I actually live in the same city as another guildmate but I refuse to meet him.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 7:50PM Graill440 said

Same, unless i know you in real life your kept at arms length. I am fortunate to have a number of real life friends that are gamers sadly most play WOW so i disowned them....(Grin).

Though the option is up to the individual, like going to a sports bar etc and rolling the dice on a blind date that you have a bit more information on. A person may just find they have ruined a perfectly good online aquaintance, then again you may meet your soul mate......

Example meet:

"You live in your parents basement too?!...O-M-G!, and you have no job?, Same here....31 and my parents say i can live with them as long as i want, yep....wow, you like hotpockets too! your right i love pringles and soda! Your a Pro gamer like me?! Small world!"

Stereotyped, but funny.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 8:22PM Tarris said

Met couple guildies from DDO to watch a Ram's game (one worked a job that hooked him up with season tickets). Was fun, mostly just went to casinos and strip joints the night before and nursed a hangover the next day during the game.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:26PM Celtar said

I think that coming from a table top gaming background originally, meeting players wasn't a problem or unusual. Continuing on from that into online gaming in the early years getting together also was quite common. Actually a game like Gemstone III/IV put out by Simutronics had a yearly convention/gather that had hundreds show up every year. They still put them on from what I hear though they are a lot smaller then the old days.

You should never be afraid to meet up with players, it really is a lot of fun. I've not done it in recent years, I think mostly because I've not made the connections that I once had/made. That said if I had the free time and was in a guild/kinship/house what ever term you want to use and felt close to the group I'd go for sure. My wife would as well, she's went to previous ones and is a gamer her self.

p.s: Great advice in the article.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:41PM Degu said

Online chumming is about as far as I go with people anyhow. I ain't no social butterfly.

That pic looks like Hell's version of HR Pufnstuf. Yikes.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 10:13PM Araxes said

Our guild has had two meet-ups, one in 2009, and one in 2010. Since the guild is actually close to 7 years old, 2009 was a long time after we had formed. There is a core group of attendees who have been long time guild members, and sometimes a couple friends from RL, too. I wasn't able to attend last year's, but the first one we had was a lot of fun, and we all seemed to get along as if we had known each other for years. (Which, basically, we did.) I think we all called each other by in-game name (this continues onto Facebook, which is sort of hilarious because others have no idea who my gamer friends are or why they call me 'Araxes') initially, although we did all introduce ourselves by real name.

The biggest challenge each year has been coordinating a location, as we are literally all over the States, and then the issue of who makes the reservations, pays the initial cost, etc. It can be tricky, and we usually begin to plan many months in advance ... but unfortunately, like this year, it just isn't always in the cards for people, given schedules, family, jobs, school, travel, and expense.

I definitely recommend all longstanding guilds meet up in RL, though. It's great.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 11:20PM (Unverified) said

To me, if I don't want to meet them IRL, I probably don't want to be in the same guild as them, and even then, you can usually avoid them.

I went to a guild meet in Vegas yeas ago and it got CRAZY (I spent a decent portion of the night chasing after a drunk guildy who was trying to get to an "erotic vampire show"... and who did a butt slide across the hood of a car at a red light during the rain 0.o). There were a few folks there that liked me but I didn't quite enjoy their company, and because it was big enough, I was able to avoid them for the most part. I may not play with them any more, but good memories were made, and I see them once in awhile when they're in town, so it was totally worth it!

Posted: Jul 8th 2011 2:47AM demonlife said

That picture is awesome and demands an explanation.

Posted: Jul 8th 2011 10:32AM Red Tyger said

Best laid plans and all that. Every year I try to make it to Sony's Fan Faire, but end up not being able to go. The longing to /bonk my guild leader in person is too appealing. I've met some guild members in person and we've become great friends.

Posted: Jul 8th 2011 10:43AM Bri said

You can use free web-based project management tools such as Teambox to help organize something like a guild meetup. It can help calendaring, task assignments, contact lists, 1-to-1 or group communication, document storage and updates, map links, and more.