Posted: Jul 5th 2011 1:20PM Alluvian EstEndrati said

Odyssey would have been a welcome addition to the MMO scene at the time. I think EA really pulled a boner when they canceled this title. Heck, attempting to move a development studio without the consent and support of the team it comprises is also a terrible idea.

Just another one of those moments of potential greatness, ruined by mismanagement.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 1:22PM VIVIsectVI said

Damn good read. I'm still irked this game got canned. Ultima was one of the first RPGs I really got into and I even enjoyed Ultima 9. I still have the trailer for Ultima X on my PC at home :(

I still hope there will be another Ultima game some day... Facebook games excluded >.>

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 1:43PM pcgneurotic said

I remember my jock room mates in college getting hooked on UIX. They would sometimes call me over to help them out with something - happy days. Going further back, I remember admiring my friend's cloth map collection from his UI-III boxed set. :D

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 1:44PM KDolo said

For me, the Ultima series will always have ended with 7 part 2.

Sadly, this game may have changed that for me.

Furthermore, the stale decision-making of games like The Old Republic would have paled in comparison with a game that allows you to not only chose between good or bad, but to make a choice between two goods or two bads (e.g., Thou art sworn to protect thy Lord at any cost, yet thou knowest he hath committed a crime. Authorities ask the of the affair. Dost thou a) break thine oath and speak Honestly or b) uphold Honor by silently keeping thine oath?)

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 3:36PM blackcat7k said

Some of the old FAQs on UXO, A few items have still not found their way into any MMO:

Can I still advance even if I only have a few hours a week to play?

With UXO, we've worked to distribute experience and adjust combat in ways such that even if a low-level character were to join forces with a very high-level character, both would be able to advance and contribute to the struggle without any penalties to either one.

Private areas insure uninterrupted adventuring on-demand.

Private adventure zones ensure that the adventures are always available to you or your party on-demand as you move through the world. Plus, private areas mean that you will never have your adventure interrupted by uninvited others or wind up waiting for creatures to appear at well known spots behind a line of other players.

Transportation

Currently, players get around on foot. However, if you are in a guild and you log in and everyone is on the other side of the world, there will be a option to "teleport" to your guild, so you won't waste time just trying to get with your friends. They are also working on adding Mounts to ride. Admirale Ruffie regrets to inform that he learned there will be no boats.

Hyperlinks (Or “It Doesn't Get Much Easier Than This!”)

Everywhere you see a character name, you can access a quick menu of options, reducing typing and helping players always know what their options are. To see a list of commands available from the friends list, just right-click on a name. You'll see several options, including “Send private message,” “Invite to my party,” “Invite to my guild” (if you're a guild leader or have permission to invite new guild members), “Teleport to me” and “Remove from list.”

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 4:41PM Space Cobra said

Funny, this is the second Ironic thing I've read about EA doing today.

The first, with my comment is here on Joystiq:

It's just that, here is Ultima X: I game of Virtues done and finally axed by EA, a company WITHOUT virtues! :P

IMO, it would have been a more interesting time with UO:X in the mix at launch and the new systems may've made the game stand-out and have its own niche. But, that profit spurt had to come from "somewhere" for the department head to show off to his superiors!

Still, it probably wound up being for the best: It's very hard to launch when there are already 2 new MMO titles vying for customer's money at the same time.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 7:25PM Gaugamela said

This game questing system sounds awesome. It would have been interesting if it released to see what could have been and the impact it could have had in the industry.

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 6:19AM Calandryll said

Nice to see the game is still remembered after all this time! Reading my old quotes brings back a lot of memories. We had a lot of fun building the game and showing it to the fans, but in the end it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyway, thanks for this Justin!

-Jonathan Hanna