Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:18AM (Unverified) said

I don't remember specifics but at 2004 i was downloading WoW patches with a dial up so it was like 4-5 hours for each patch + the large waittimes for the servers to go up..was like 7 hours total wait.I jus left PC open and went to the beach :D

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:21AM Balraw said

Without doubt Final Fantasy XI, I can remember 24 hours + for updates that were not at all big in terms of download size. The way it works is it does a file check, which takes ages, then it proceeds to download the update. Should the download be interrupted you start the file check all over again and so on until you loose the will to live or it by some miracle gets to the end

While I enjoyed FFXI when I played it the update system that they employ (to remain polite) leaves a lot to be desired ;)

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:34AM (Unverified) said

FFXI for me. back in 2004 i bought Guild wars and then FFXI. FFXI was the longest install and patching process of my life.

fast forward to 2006 as me and my girlfriends brother became World of Warcrack heads. this was before TBC. his computer ran WoW just fine it was the patches that killed him didn't matter the size of the patch it was always take him forever. I sat with him and waited from 4:00pm left his house around 8-8:30. went home didn't see him in game till 11:30 that night. I said to him "whoa the patch couldn't have taken that long"
he said back to me "his entire day off from work I've waited to update with this patch, it's finally over."

from that point on ever patch that came out for whatever game we were playing i'd get the patch super quick. i'd copy the files to a flash drive and bring them over to him and move them into his game folders just to not see his eyes bleed.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:40AM pcgneurotic said

Some of the old City of Heroes updates would be over-nighters.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:03AM Khalus said

Definitely FFXI back in the day, its not been very bad in recent years though. The new king of horrible patching comes from FFXIV though. I swear the patcher for XIV has got to be the worst ever, to the point where there have been a few small patches that were only a few mb and it still took several hrs.

However, there are .torrent versions of each patch provided and seeded by SE for each patch, and while it adds a few extra steps to get the DL going then copy/paste the patch in the correct folder, its 1000% faster. You can get any patch inside 10-30min and be playing again.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:16AM avidlurker said

Not a patchday memory so strictly speaking of topic.

That said, I played EvE online when they relocated their servers to new racks...
The estimated they'd need 6h. IIRC space was open to flying again after a 36h wait, after they discovered they had somehow messed up their DB along the way and had to replay all of the previous game days transactions by hand or something similar.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 12:33PM (Unverified) said

The internet access we could buy for our quarters in Iraq last year was very slow. It was a minor miracle, that I could play WOW at all, but I did all right until the 4.0 patch. My projected download times were in days, and hours. No trick I could think of would successfully get that patch to download. I was offline a couple months until a guildie mailed me an image of the WOW client burned to DVDs.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 6:48PM rockman0 said

For me, it was the week that the City of Heroes reactivation weekend would take place. Their offline estimation window had passed, but the game was still not online because of some technical difficulties.

Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't even that long of a wait. I was just so excited about reconnecting with old friends that it seemed like a long time.

Sadly, not many of my friends decided to log in during the reactivation weekend. :'-(

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 4:54AM rockman0 said

That's what I meant to type. I was thinking week, but typed weekend. That's what I get for multitasking. :/

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014