Posted: Jul 5th 2011 7:26PM PsychoBowl said

Is your favorite Illyriad? I haven't played many, but Lord of Ultima is a pretty decent one in my opinion. It isn't too harsh with the pvp aspect on the normal worlds, which is nice.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 10:53PM Beau Hindman said

@PsychoBowl Yeh Illyriad is one of my favorites for sure. Easy to get into, but a lot of depth.

Beau

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 2:22AM maty said

@Beau Hindman

Its still in closed beta IIRC, give it some time :), not even in public beta yet!

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 7:30PM ZTZ said

My favorite RTS of all time was easily Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. It was a more defensive style of gameplay where you took the time to build up your forces and your base.

I wish more RTS games included the ability to build a walled city of whatever shape you wanted.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:55PM sadsurfer said

Personally I would go for www.8realms.com as this is a browser MMORTS but is exactly the same game and experience on the desktop browser, tablet and mobile phone.
Defo worth a try!

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:21PM Beau Hindman said

@sadsurfer Yeh I have been playing it, but honestly it's pretty confusing and not very intuitive. Also, it is SO slow...

....any advice?

Beau

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 8:22AM sadsurfer said

@Beau Hindman Yea they really need to improve the first play experience and make it more intuitive.
When you say slow do you mean performance slow or the amount of time it takes to build stuff (I am good on the first but find the second slow and frustrating at times)
But it is closed beta so we can cross our fingers and hope these things can be improved

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 10:42PM Faction 3 said

Although not Browser-Based, without a doubt...

Company of Heroes.

Epic in every way. Especially with the Blitzkrieg Mod.

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 3:23AM Yoh said

I think I'll stick with Starcraft 2 for the time being.
Although I might look into the MMORTS scene a bit more as I'm am interested in wether there is anything there worth a damn.

At the very least there hasn't been any AAA MMORTS games that have done very well, not to my knowledge.
It still seems like furtile ground for development to me.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 7:52PM Faction 3 said

@Yoh Try Company of Heroes...trust me.

Just.....just trust me.

Came out in '06, but easily the best RTS games I've ever played, and I've played everything from Populous to all 3 AoEmpires to Command & Conquer on the Playstation....

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 10:43AM cored said

"If there is one thing I can appreciate in my gaming choices, it's flexibility. I want to be able to not only do what I want but do it when I want. If I want to avoid combat or other players, the game should allow me to do that. I don't want to bother with things that annoy me."

The italics really should have gone on the word "me" there.

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 2:04PM greene498 said

What's the game in the header image? And is it any good?

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 7:53PM Faction 3 said

@greene498 Pretty sure that's Age of Empires Online, it launches in August I think.

Posted: Jul 7th 2011 9:33AM jockewissing said

Nice to read your article! I'm actually working on a indie game called RENATIONS which covers a lot of what you request from a decent browser RTS. Cartoonish art, Mobility, retro feeling, slim interface and loads of lore.
Checkout our website http://renations.com, new homepage comming in a few weeks and beta will open in August.

Hope we can make you a fan!

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 3:07AM (Unverified) said

beau, whats the game that the picture of the king and queen etc. on what looks like a chess board?

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 7:42AM Beau Hindman said

@(Unverified) That was literally from an older chess game. I forget the name, but I basically just thought it was a cool pic. Got it from Joystiq.

Beau