Posted: Jul 4th 2011 7:02PM ArcherAvatar said

There definitely does appear to be something to this, and I've seen it commented on before in other MMOs as well but, like all stereotypes, it makes me very wary - especially when someone evitably applies "judgements" to it.

I have seen this dynamic play out among my personal RL friends time and time again however... so much so that I would confidently "bet the farm" on which class they would select first, or wind-up playing the most as their "favored" or "main" character.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:01AM Chambers said

@ArcherAvatar

In counter to this argument i would say that since 99.9% of all MMO's feature the same gameplay mechanics you tend to gravitate towards the class you are familiar playing. If you play a Tank in EQ your likley to roll a warrior in WoW, its nothing to do with personality type its more to do with the mechanics of the game that you prefer.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 7:58PM MMOaddict said

Yet, every game has variations on these archetypes and some games do it better than others.

I personally, play any type of ranged DD, more often a mage type, but I don't play mage for CC at all. I hate CC classes, I would rather plink an enemy down asap before he gets to me. Not sure what personality trait that is but I can guarantee I don't play those archetypes ONLY. Currently I'm playing a Bard in Rift. I do like support classes a lot as well. So....yeah...I think there may be a basis to our choices, but it doesn't stop there, at least not for me personally.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 8:16PM (Unverified) said

I think this article is a poor generalization. The writer and people who agree only see these patterns because they mostly pay attention to people who do fit the patterns.

Players like myself are at ease with playing any class. We don't try and "express ourselves" with video game characters and would be hard pressed to call anything a "main character". I am sure there are plenty of others who feel the same way, and maintain a full separation between the player and the various video game avatars.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 8:56PM Pars18 said

@(Unverified)

I agree.

When I played Aion a year ago, I ended trying nearly all the classes- not necessarily for their archetypes, but because of their different play-styles.

If I felt like being a stealthy tactician, Id use my assassin. My sorcerer alt was for pyrotechnics; watching Balaur explode into colorful sparks, ect.

It was more about options than roleplaying.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 12:13AM Transientmind said

@(Unverified)

It's pretty much true that whenever my RL friends and family and a few of our online-discovered friends get together in a new game, we invariably find that each has reverted to the same roles.

Maybe you and everyone you know are unique and special snowflakes who could not have their favourite class role picked out by anyone who knows you well, but for these few dozen people, we can pretty much always tell who's going to be a tank, who's going to be a healer, who's going to be melee DPS and who's going to be ranged DPS.

And it's absolutely true that there are certain character traits in common amongst the tanks, healers and DPSers. The DPSers are the ones who ask when the raid is happening, and the tanks/heals tell them when it is happening.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 10:08PM Jeromai said

I do think that people have certain biases and preferences for specific classes, but tagging on personality traits to these preferences willy nilly is only a good exercise in generalization. Aion does have very specific playstyles for each class, and requires so much investment per character that folk stick to grooming up one main over rampant altholism, so it’s a more suitable game than most to try the labeling game on.

(I have to wonder if it is the player personality that chooses the class, or is it that the player’s personality – or rather behavior portrayed in game – is affected by the class playstyle?)

Putting gladiators and templars under the same label of group tanks is a little too simplistic as well. Templars with their sword and board tend to be considered the main tanks more often than not. Gladiators’ roles may have evolved since, but imo, were viewed as offtank plus some damage, typically AoE. I ran around with a gladiator as my main in Aion.

While I may indeed have a “gallant and protective nature” *snicker*, gladiators were decent at both fending for themselves as a loner, while being able to step up and shore up a group as needed. This fit my preferences for a melee class, able to survive alone as well as contribute in a group to fill in a role. I hated organizing and leadership, let the templar do it. :) Just step in and offtank if there was an overpull to try and keep the group alive.

Chanters and spiritmasters also appear to fill more of the solo-preferring niche (as much as one could solo in Aion at any rate.)

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 10:21PM wfseg said

Disagree with this article. I played all classes and all roles in many MMOs. What I play has no effect on my personality, vice versa.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 11:58PM (Unverified) said

I play a tank in every mmo I play - it's who I am, and what I do. I don't know if the larger generalizations can be made as the article mentions, but I'm certainly proof of the theory, anyway.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 6:28AM wardo said

My biggest disagreement with this article is that in my experience, it is usually the tanks who are control freaks. I can't even count the number of times I've started a run (in various games) and the tank has said something along the lines of "I'm the tank, you go where I go and do what I do or you die. Don't like it? Leave." and has proceeded to run the dungeon in whichever way they choose, regardless of the group's wishes.

In some ways, the trinity system gives the tank the most power. Sure, the healer can let the tank die if s/he is being too obnoxious, but then the group can't progress very easily. My experience is that players who tank tend to take advantage of that reality.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 7:02AM terroni said

It seems to me the only consistent personality trait for an archetype is related to DPS. Is douche a personality?

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 7:42AM Lorell said

True, I'm playing healer in very MMO, mostly because I want to help other :) On a 2nd place is mine "magical ranged" alt.

On other hand, such generalizing won't work, coz in my legion I have many ppl, who has a lot of alts from all classes, so... it means they have personality like "little bit of helping person, a little bit of pew pew person"? ;)

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 8:29AM Loopy said

I agree with the article to a degree.

I almost ALWAYS pick a tanking class first, because i do like the idea of being a protector in a game. The second class that i pick is almost always a healer class. I love having so much control, not having to rely on anybody but myself, and being able to save somebody from a certain death.

On the other hand, these two roles have to be/have:
1. Fun to play. They must have a ton of tools at their disposal and fun abilities that i won't get bored of in 2 months. (ex. WoW - i find Priests to have extremely fun gameplay with interesting mechanics and original spells (PoM for example), but i found Rift Clerics to be somewhat dull for healing )

2. Fluid gameplay. There should be a certain rotation to the gameplay, a certain flow. (ex. WoW - Warrior vs Paladin tanking. For some reason, i found myself waiting a lot on a Paladin for abilities to be off cooldown, and it killed the fluidity, whereas i always had something to press on the Warrior)

After trying out those two niche roles, i always make a ton of alts.

I never thought i'd enjoy playing a Rogue in WoW until i gave it a shot. I personally hate the idea of sneaky classes, but now i see the appeal.

So, in summary, I do tend to try out the protector classes first, but i don't necessarily stick with them.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 1:06PM edgecrusherO0 said

For the most part I agree entirely with this. From the people I've met in game, almost all of them fit into the categories (more or less) based off their primary character (unless they're the type that rerolls to whatever is flavor of the month). I know I primarily have rolled tanks/healers (Played a paladin in EQ1 and a pali in WoW. I actually tanked and healed in classic back when paladins didn't really do either very well), but I've found myself branching out more and more and playing some of the caster classes.

One thing about tanks though, is that while they can tend more towards "leadership" it sometimes ends with them dictating how everything will work or they leave. Sadly a lot of tanks in games have a god mentality because 90% of the time tanks are the hardest class to find, so they get to pick and choose what groups do and if they don't like it, they can just leave and almost instantly find another one for whatever instance they want to run.