Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 2:16PM Pingles said

Agreed. Nothing original but so beautifully implemented that they are due much respect.

I truly downloaded it to see how much of a mess it was but the controls are stupendous. Even as a console-hating keyboard addict I took to them immediately and was very comfortable very fast.

That being said I have stopped playing. The game has some issues.

PvP: Certain areas within each map are free-for-all PvP. While they are designated on the map with a skull the edges are NOT defined. Take ONE step over and you are instantly flagged. BOOM. Dead. Because there is a large group of level 60 players who enjoy camping the low-level zones. Quests have no designation that they take you into PvP areas.

Travel: After level 20 or so getting back to your trainer is about 7 or 8 ports. Sure, having a portal is nice but you can only port one town at a time. So you port. Load. Find next Portal master. Port. Load. etc.

Quests: Beau's right. You're either killing ten of something or delivering a scroll. That's it. And after 20's quite a few quests take you into PvP areas. If you want to skip them get ready to chew through mobs to do so.

There are some loot issues and various other minor complaints. I am just waiting for them to be addressed before returning to the game.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 3:08PM kasapina said

The WoW hate..it's choking me..

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 3:23PM Chambers said

@kasapina

"What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
"Whaddya got?"

springs to mind.....

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 4:37PM (Unverified) said

This article made me giggle, i loved the little jabs at WoW +5 char sir :)

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 6:19PM Bhagpuss said

I hope you have better luck with Gilfor's Tales than I did. So far I haven't got past the first couple of minutes of the tutorial before I get a Flash error and the game crashes. From the little bit I did see, the translation from the German leaves a lot to be desired, too.

As for mobile gaming, I've yet to find anything that holds my attention. But then, that's partly because I'd generally rather read a book or even stare into space than play a game when I'm out of the house. I think the format of the phone/tablet is a lot better suited to games like http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fabled-lands-hd/id415170080?mt=8 or http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/broken-sword-directors-cut/id350353259?mt=8 anyway.

Order and Chaos does look nice, though.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 6:43PM Beau Hindman said

@Bhagpuss Ah yeh those games are cool looking. During my trip to E3, I also discovered the hidden items/puzzle type games from Big Fish and others. They really are relaxing.

I don't mind playing this type of game on an iPad (and neither do a lot of other people: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/order-and-chaos-online-rakes-in-1-million-in-first-20-days/ ) but as I said it is taxing on the wrists.

I enjoyed it more when I set it down and played with my index fingers, but the lighter iPad II does work easier.

Beau

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 6:21PM Averice said

So much hate wrapped up and concealed in one little article, lol.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 6:45PM Beau Hindman said

@Averice I'm not sure what article you were reading, but my dislike of the particular areas of WoW that I dislike should be pretty obvious.

Concealed? Did you READ it? :)

Beau

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 7:08PM Bladerunner83 said

• 1 heart

Boy, this game looks like a crappy version of WoW; Like a beta version of the early WoW. In addition the company should be sued for being an obvious plagiarizer of WoW. Really? Undead, elves, humans and orcs? They go that far, why not call it World of Warcraft Mobile, oh wait they can't, because they have no rights to do so. What a bunch of lazy bastards, copy the success of WoW and hope that your mobile adventure makes a profit. Forget these people, what a waste of time.

You let me down Beu, I normally like reading your articles, because I'm an anti-F2P advocate trying to understand this awful trend. This game shouldn't even be considered. Why play this game when you can play WoW? I just don't get it, you have a golden plate of gourmet food in front of you and you would rather eat out of a garbage can.

" Speaking of price, I can report that the game costs $6.99 (a price that includes three months of game time), and each month after costs $0.99. I plunked down a few bucks and got six months of game time "

This is the only statement that makes me happy about the game; at least it's not F2P. And the follow-up question does it have an item mall attached to it?

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 9:02PM foofad said

@Bladerunner83 There are microtransactions, yeah.

As for why you should play this instead of WoW: While it isn't nearly as polished as WoW is now, you can't bring WoW with you on the train, to school (unless you own a laptop that can run it), to work, etc etc. It's the allure of a mobile MMO that gets people to play it, and that adds the toy factor to give it some more interest.

With rare, innovative exceptions, every game is an iteration on the last. Yes, they are capitalizing on the success of someone else in order to cash in, but they're also paving the way for mobile MMOs by proving that yes, they can work in the traditional sense and you can even charge a subscription for them and people will still play. Ultimately that's a good thing, and will hopefully embolden future developers to take risks on new and innovative concepts since it has at least been proven that there is an audience for this sort of thing.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 9:41PM Bladerunner83 said

@foofad

" I won't insult your intelligence by getting on your case for mentioning the stock fantasy races included in just about every work of fantasy since forever as your case for plagiarism. "

I don't want to insult your intellect, but I've never seen another MMO that lets you play an undead, elf, human and orc, all in the same game. Maybe you can enlighten all of us?

" With rare, innovative exceptions, every game is an iteration on the last. "

Have you looked at a screenshot to screenshot comparison?...almost exactly alike, isn't that plagiarism?

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 2:54AM foofad said

@Bladerunner83 These are all stereotypical fantasy races. Just because those particular four are included together and the only other game to include undead as a playable race is WoW doesn't change the fact that those are races found in fantasy games the world over. It's what you expect.

I don't have to look at screenshots, I've played both. And no, generally speaking as long as what you create varies by at least 20% it is not plagiarism. Unoriginal and derivative, sure - but unless they use actual WoW art assets then no, it's not plagiarism.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 3:12AM Revolting said

@Bladerunner83

Believe it or not, it is possible to enjoy more than one game at a time, and often people will find entertainment in something similar to another thing they already like.

"Why play this game when you can play WoW?" I can't play WoW on the toilet, during my lunch break at work, or in bed on a lazy sunday morning. This fills all of those between-WoW gaps.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 2:49PM StClair said

@Revolting
Have you considered the possibility that the existence of those "gaps", having brief segments of your life NOT dedicated to playing WoW, were actually a good thing?

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 6:10PM Revolting said

@StClair I have, and they are. :) I was merely pointing out that, should the urge strike, a mobile MMO is accessible where a desk-bound one is not, not implying that every waking moment must be spent in one. More flexible options are a good thing, no?

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 9:43PM chickdigger802 said

the new update got everyone riled up I think.

Apparently you can buy the best gear for like $15.

A lot cheaper than say, perfect world games, but still, a poor decision imo.

Posted: Jul 4th 2011 12:50AM Faction 3 said

Beau kicks ass!

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:50AM Seasqwaa said

While it was a decent article, I am quite turned away from your WoW hate.

Saying there is so little to do, and that the community is horrible, etc.
It's completely biased against the game even though this game copies WoW and brings much bad along with it.

WoW has become so much more since launch, and this seems more of a vanilla WoW beta.

I don't care if you don't like WoW in any respect, but I really hate to see it completely obvious enough that you mock the systems that are implemented well.

Posted: Jul 5th 2011 9:58AM Beau Hindman said

@Seasqwaa Implemented well does not translate to anything fresh or new. WoW is a very limited game and always has been. Note I did not say it was made poorly or that it was a horrible game -- just limited and with a sometimes very bad community.

The crafting is basic, the combat is basic, there is housing, and the graphics have been generally the same for its entire run. Again, not an insult but a statement of fact. If you compare WoW to even many indie games, it comes off as very primitive, except in execution.

Beau