Posted: Jul 1st 2011 10:36PM tchuks said

@(Unverified)

How would they know they needed to fix it BEFORE people had a chance to play it?

At least they are trying to listen to their fans instead of taking the old "we're right, screw off" approach.

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 11:31PM Khalus said

These changes are definitely for the better, and I greatly welcome the auto-attack. It doesn't sound like it, but as a KB-only player, it was a hassle to constantly keep running your cursor back and forth along the hotbar to hit the basic attacks while waiting for TP gains and cooldowns of your larger attacks. With clear countdown timers and your basic attack being on auto now, it'll enhance the speed of combat ever more!

Although, I do agree with the majority of players on their official forums, that their decision behind the Archer's auto-attack being bare fists is confusing. Why not let them use a dagger instead from a secondary weapon slot or as a hidden feature with each bow just so it don't look ridiculous.

Does it not seem odd to anyone else that the only class that can use a dagger is the Gladiator, thats just silly. And I really hope with the addition of jobs by summer's end that they allow all classes/jobs to use a variety of weapons as in FFXI. I never did like the basic 1wep per class design.

If I understand it correctly, once jobs are added to the game each class will then be able to better specialize in key aspects of their skills, basically forfeiting some abilities for a specific set. Take Pugilist for example, the two or three, well actually four jobs I could see spawn from that class would be Monk, Thief, Ninja & Samurai. If you choose to be a THF, then you can use daggers, swords and hand-to-hand weapons, and the skills of steal, and sneak attacks are enhanced while your HtH becomes weaker.

Anyway, hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to explain...

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 12:42AM (Unverified) said

@Khalus On the subject of jobs though, it's already been stated there will be one job per class when they implement it. I'm sure there are likely plans to implement more later, but still be prepared to only see 1 job when they implement it.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 2:36AM tr1ptych said

@Khalus
I'm confused. Why would you ever need to "run back and forth along the hotbar" when you can just press the number keys?

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 11:44PM Eamil said

@tchuks

I don't really agree with the OP just because he's kind of beating the dead horse, but all these complaints and more, all these things that are being fixed and upgraded and generally improved, the concerns were raised during the many months the game was in alpha and beta. They had plenty of time to say "Oh wow, people think our game sucks, maybe we should push back the release and make it not suck."

If that had happened, though, the old guy might have never been taken off the project and replaced with Yoshida, who's managed to impress me far more (as someone watching the game from afar, waiting for enough improvements for me to consider it worth playing), so my hope is that we'll ultimately end up with a better game as a result.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 4:18AM Coldbrand said

Haste for Dragoon. Step one towards dominance. Excellent.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 8:40AM Fire Walk With Me said

That one shot is the first NM I ever beat outside of Sandy on XI.

Most of the people I ran with aren't interested in XIV because it is the same game...with lesser gameplay.

I dont see how SE can bring this game back from the dead. Certainly never charge for it. This might be their 'Spirits Within' for this decade. They need to discontinue production/fixes and move on.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 9:35AM hami83 said

If all else fails, SE can turn this game free to play and just keep charging 30-50 for the retail game, possible have an in-game shop, but it doesn't need to shut down.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 11:38AM Ryukan said

@hami83

They already have the basis for the cash shop with the Crysta system, so I would bet they were already planning on adding a cash shop before they realized the game was not ready for realease, after they released it.

FFXIV: World record holder for longest 'beta' ever.

The question is, will the game even be relevant enough to keep struggling along by the end of the year when the big MMO's like SWTOR and GW2 hit.

The good thing is, I think SE is too stubborn to admit defeat with FFXIV so they will continue to keep the game limping along despite the faliure.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 10:58AM Titan1 said

@tchuks
Was there a beta test?

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 12:23PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I happen to agree completely with the OP, and yes we should beat the hell out of that dead horse. SE needs to take it up the butt, and it needs to hurt their wallets. They had tons of beta testing and ignored their testers back then. XIV doesn't deserve redemption, it should be made a example of.

Boycott SE products

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 1:17PM dudemanjac said

Are they charging ppl to play yet? maybe i will come back and finish up my free time.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2011 2:04PM Daverator said

@(Unverified)

I do think FFXIV gives a great example for MMOs to compare the cost of release vs cost of finishing. MMOs like to release and say "well fix it later" I wonder how many dollars of monthly subs they have lost compared to box sales.