Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:21PM Mikkhail said

I myself just started LOTRO again (after loosing interest way back in 2007) ... and am finding myself much more happy with it this time around ... The established community, mountain of content and myriad things to do that LOTRO offers these days (not to mention the very well established community) is going to keep me happily gaming for the forseeable future :)

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:23PM gundamxzero said

Is there really any reason to pick up galaxies though? I had to laugh when I saw the screen shot :D

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:25PM dudes said

I check into Dungeons and Dragons Online now and again since it's F2P.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:27PM WeeMadAggie said

First off I find I personally, can't play MMO's casually enough to hit up some old title while waiting for a new to launch.

Secondly: I should think that trying to "hook up" with a community that's already years old and probably pretty small because the game is dated and on top of that has settled into it's own cliques, makes it harder for a newcomer to find a guild or even just random folks to group with. At least such was my experience every time I escaped from WoW to EQ2.

Otherwise I enjoyed this article. It's a fresh take on what to do while waiting.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:31PM (Unverified) said

I started playing UO 14 years after the fact, and it really took me in. Fascinating, deep game.

#7 actually makes me hesitant to try older games. Sometimes you'll come in, and find the pecking order long-since established. It can be hard to break in and gain people's respect. DDO was like that to a degree. A heavy PvP element could make it even tougher.

But then you have all the hassles with new releases, bugs, haters and the like. I guess there's tradeoffs wherever you go.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:36PM Degu said

@(Unverified)

Hm, I showed up as unverified that time. Creepy.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:36PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I humbly disagree, gamers have a lately a habit of settling, when we need to demand quality. The older games had their chance, they failed, and it should cost them dearly. Companies seem focused on getting new players, ways to make side profits (microtransactions). Rather then making a great product from the start. Expanding it consisently and with standards of quality of the new content. I think the mass of players have been looking for that ground breaking game, that builts on elements we love, while surpassing our expectations. Alot of the companies are getting cocky, and think they "got us," if you keep paying them your going to keep getting the poor response. Like Dr. Phil would say, Hows that working for ya?

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:42PM EndDream said

@(Unverified)

All older games failed? What?

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 5:19PM HereticalPenguin said

@(Unverified)
^What he said. An older game that is still running and taking in new players is a success in my book.

As for your standards for "making a great product from the start" and "Expanding it consisently and with standards of quality of the new content", see #4 on the list.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:38PM HokieKC said

I understand what the writer is saying. I'm just burned out on themepark MMOs. And the overwhelming vast majority of older MMOs are themepark. One of the rare exceptions is EVE and it's suffering....problems.

Therefore, I'm looking forward to MMOs in development more than ever before.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 3:55PM (Unverified) said

@HokieKC

Ya sandboxes aren't amazing people either, like all things you need balance with the structure.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 4:04PM HokieKC said

@(Unverified) - I just need new MMOs that go another direction. That doesn't mean sandbox or bust either.

That's why I'm looking forward to ArcheAge, Undead Labs zombie MMO, Defiance, GW2, Planetside Next, and whatever console MMO Turbine is working on.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 4:03PM Controlled Chaos said

I have to admit, checking out older, more matured games is one of the reasons I love free to play coming to so many of them. When you're on a tight budget (as a lot of people are, these days), one doesn't always check out the older games because sometimes it just doesn't feel worth the risk to start spending subscriptions on games when you don't really know what they're like or they're a little too new to tell if you're going to like them, etc. It's often a budget thing, all in all.

I started off with UO's beta years ago, but ended up missing the bus on a lot of these oldies because it just never seemed worthwhile to cash out each month. Hell, I've never even played WoW. Now, though, I couldn't agree more with the author, as a lot has changed and these old folks of the MMO game still have a good amount of life left in them. True, it can be difficult to get into the community and some are set in their ways, but those are just the loud idiots who cause those issues, the elitist twits who believe that its their lawn and you shouldn't be anywhere near it. Look a little deeper and you'll find those who are more tolerant.

Gamers should be a little more adventurous, in my opinion. One never knows the fun they'll end up finding.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 4:36PM (Unverified) said

Fantastic article. And there is ALWAYS a reason to go back to Galaxies :P Especially when December rolls around >.>

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 5:29PM Palebane said

I found the blog and discussion here rare gem that actually inspires me to try again.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 8:12PM Utakata said

It's odd you're writing this Syp. I went out today and purchased 2 months of City of Heroes that will eventually replace WoW a game year younger I've played for 6 years. Why? Cause despite CoX having it's issue and age, it's far more inclusive and treats its customers better than World of "Sparkle Pony" Raidcraft. Yes, CoX does has a cash shop unfortunately...but one that can be accessed by its eventual Freemium mechanics. Far more than I can say for Blizz currently.

Speaking of which...and despite it's been around a bit too, WoW has very little to offer for returning and new players. So it's seem to rather an exception to the Perfect 10 reasons listed here. Unless of coarse one is planning to raid in a big guild...that's when the perks of the game start rolling in. Nothing like ingame corporate welfare to spice up a casuals' gaming experience. Just saying.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 8:51PM (Unverified) said

Good stuff. Despite the new hotness that's out today and what most people are looking forward to *cough*SWTOR*cough, I'm having a ton of fun in Wurm, Guild Wars, and City of Heroes lately, all games that are way old.

Once you get past the graphics being not quite up to par with current standards, they're actually really fun and the communities are excellent.

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 12:37AM Zenn said

Many of these are why I went back and decided to try Mabinogi once again.... and boy has it become something.

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 3:12AM Kaoy said

I think you and I define 'Old MMOs' rather differently. 2007? Pff.

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 7:21AM Snichy said

I generally only play one MMO at a time as I like the concentrate all my resources on it and immerse myself completely, and every time I leave an long term MMO (apart from the ones I only played for a month) I intend to go back and play it once it gets more content etc. I played STO, LOTRO, WoW among others and out of them recently went back to WoW during their 7 days free offer. I reinstalled and patched etc but only lasted about 10 minutes before giving up! Those damned rose-tinted glasses get me every time and sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny