Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:20PM Furdinand said

I remember thinking when Ultima Online and Everquest first came out that games were on the threshold of bringing the pen and paper RPG experience online. Big, open worlds to explore with random danger and adventures. I expected that we would eventually see something like a living room Forgotten Realms campaign with hundreds of thousands of players and DMs.
Now it's 2011 and D&D is on the threshold of being an offline WoW instead.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 5:45AM nilsmmoblog said

@Furdinand
Unfortunately you are very right ;(

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 7:26AM Budukahn said

@nilsmmoblog

Thirded. I miss that feeling of massive possibility when logging into a new MMO.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 10:03AM mrdryden said

@Budukahn Fourith-ed-ed. Seriously. I was so sad when I saw what 4th ed. D&D was doing, and I didn't believe it, so I tried it. And it's true. It feels like an offline WoW with a little TCG thrown in.

The only two games where I felt that big open world with random danger and massive possibility were LotRO and, ironically, WoW itself, when it was still fairly new, I was new to the genre, and I refused to read any wikis or anything about the game, a habit I still ascribe to.

I was the dude who was wandering Silithus at level 35 or so; I had no idea there was a road leading to Un'Goro so I climbed on the edge of the cliffs in Tanaris and dropped/fell down into it from one rock outcropping to another. Just because it was there. Now yeah some said and still say that was totally stupid, but it was the feeling of exploration that drove me, that I knew I couldn't kill any of those mob so I needed to sneak around them.

Same for LotRO; the feeling I got when I stumbled across any of the many, *many* landmarks from the books was indescribable; from Bill Ferny to Burt, Tom, and Bill, to the smoted corpse of the Balrog itself, and I still haven't left Moria!

These reminiscences prove two things to me, that part of immersion is when the company bakes it in, like Turbine did, cos say what you will about LotRO, it's soaked to the bone in atmosphere and lore from the books, it's pretty astonishing how much is there. And part of it is what you as a player bring to the table. That willing suspension of disbelief. The self-discipline to not run off and read the wikis and walkthroughs, or listen to advice from well-meaning players or guildmates trying to max your XP per hour, by bolding going where no one has gone before (in your mind at least) making even a game like vanilla WoW a mysterious and inspiring place to roam.

Ok, that's it. More coffee. Less wistful thoughts of D&D and sandpark MMOs.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:30PM Mr Tastix said

There'll be a lot of people who don't like the idea of Titan being a "casual" game but if they play WoW then they'll be somewhat used to it already.

Whilst I wouldn't be adverse to harder content within the game, it's a good marketing ploy to make the game more "casual" oriented (though I would like to hear a insiders definition of the word, as mine probably differs) since that appeals to a broader audience (hence more money).

Some people just can't let go and learn to adapt to the changes of the MMO industry. "Hardcore" games still exist, but for the most part, many of the attributes that made them "hardcore" are being rolled out as "outdated" in favour of a more accessible game. That's just the way the industries evolved.

If you refuse to move with it then you'll simply get crushed by it.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:32PM toychristopher said

Not excited. Sorry blizzard! I do hope that diablo 3 is fun though!

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:35PM (Unverified) said

What do they consider WoW though? Casual or Hardcore? I know it can be played both ways, but unless you raid, WoW is a fairly casual game with an easy learning curve. Any more casual than WoW and you practically have a kids game. I've already seen kids as young as 4 able to play WoW.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:47PM Wild Colors said

@(Unverified)

They consider WoW "successful" :)

And I'm guessing that Titan will have more in common with it than Blizzard will want to admit, though I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:40PM Yog said

How does this analyst know anything about the project? Has he gained some sort of inside information or is he just supposing it's casual?

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:49PM Joshua Przygocki said

@Yog Well it's because he is not just an analyst, but also a therapist. He is an Analrapist.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:50PM DiscordSK said

@Joshua Przygocki
While off topic, I will admit you got a laugh out of me for that.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:52PM Joshua Przygocki said

@DiscordSK Because of the spelling or the fact that you actually watched arrested development?

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:46PM Wild Colors said

Easy prediction and fairly meaningless term.

Blizzard is building a game that it wants to attract millions of players to. The only way to do that (at least that's worked for the MMO industry so far) is to make sure that people can play and enjoy it even if they only get to play it for a few hours each week.

The buzz word for that these days is "casual," so of course Titan is going to be casual. It has to be to attract the size audience Blizzard is looking for.

Casual doesn't mean F2P or B2P, doesn't mean there won't be some sort of competitive or repetitive twist to it like WoW end-game raiding or Archaeology, and doesn't really dictate anything about the world, the system, or the game play. It just means that it's not EverQuest or FF XI, which isn't really a go-out-on-a-limb prediction.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:54PM (Unverified) said

Some nobody from some website makes a random guess. News at 11.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:55PM Yog said

@Wild Colors Your whole post can be summed up this way: "I don't know."

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:18PM Bladerunner83 said

"expansion packs for StarCraft and World of Warcraft, a new Diablo game, [and] a new casual MMO."

This is old news, I heard about this when they announce there was a new MMO in development. The only difference in this dated update, is the last statement. Blizzard said it was going to apeal to everyone, casual and hardcore, not just casual.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:50PM Lucidus said

@Bladerunner83 The marketing always says it. Rarely will they please everyone. Emphasis will go more toward the (rather dumb) masses since that's where the uncritical cash is.

Remember, Activision is ruled by Bobby Kotick.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:22PM Ghostspeaker said

I don't give a rat's ass if it's casual or hardcore. I'm just praying it's not yet another high-magic fantasy with elves who live in big trees and miner dwarves with a penchant for firearms. Please, for the love of god, give me a Sci-Fi MMO that doesn't suck!

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:44PM Utakata said

When I think of casual...I think of dudes wearing leisure suits sporting spliffs...

...that said and more seriously, the subjectiveness of casual and hardcore will always a be big factor. That is, what is causal to one it is not to another. For example, If Blizz means Titan is casual being of no raid content, then that's great. However, an MMO lacking raid content doesn't make it casual either. Just saying.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:47PM eyeball2452 said

Let's say this together ... very slowly for even the most casual players ...

Blizzard ~= Zynga