Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:37PM DevilSei said

It does make sense. They seem to be pushing a bit of a more hardcore thing with WoW, with Firelands trash being brutal little buggers. And well... if you want some easy money, nothing screams cash like a casual game! It worked for the Wii at least.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 4:08AM Lt Cobalt said

@DevilSei
Brutal? How long have you been playing WoW?
That place is far from hardcore, maybe more so on heroic but that place is a joke, my guild have cleared half the instance already and with no PTR testing or anything like that. No, casual is exactly where they are heading at Blizzard, confirming it for Titan makes me even less interested in whatever it turns out to be, in recent years i've not been impressed with Blizzards development on WoW, so i don't hold much faith that i'd enjoy another MMO they sqeeze out.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 6:27AM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei WoW is casual as well. All is casual...

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 12:21PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei I agree if they are smart they'll make the game feel more like Wrath; I still feel burned by what they pulled with Cata. Good thing Rift came when it did.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:42PM Royalkin said

While I don't look towards Blizzard for my MMO enjoyment, however this makes me sad because it's even more evidence that sandbox MMOs are becoming even less economically viable. The only choices left are Eve and Earthrise. The former is moving towards the casual environment, and the latter is just plain horrible.

I guess I'll either find myself bored more often, or start watching a lot more television.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:12PM xenothaulus said

@Royalkin The problem with most sandbox MMOs, and EVE in particular in my experience, is most of the players are just in it to throw sand at each other.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:24PM Joshua Przygocki said

@Royalkin You're forgetting:
-Ryzom(I'm pretty sure it's sandbox)
-Runescape(sorta)
-That Mech Game... (I just played it not too long ago, can't remember it's name for the life of me.)
-Wurm
-Second Life(I think it's an MMO, and it's pretty sandboxish.)
-That Post-Apocalyptic MMO(Who's title is also fleeting my memory.)
-That other Post-Apocalyptic MMO(Fallen Earth, I'm pretty sure it's at least sorta sandboxish.)
-Minecraft, if you consider it an MMO(It isn't.)
-Terraria(Sorta sandboxish, also not really an MMO; I mean really, calling a game an MMO just because it has a lot of players and is online doesn't make it an MMO. That's like calling Call of Duty an FPS/RPG/RTS because it involves some strategy executed in real time and you are playing the role of a soldier while shooting things from a first person perspective.)

I'm sure there are more. Some of these are semi new, and some are obviously more sandboxish than others.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:39PM DevilSei said

@Joshua Przygocki

To be fair, I've had this argument before but RPG being "about playing a role" is rather subjective. In terms of progression based gameplay based around gaining experience to gain levels and use better equipment and abilities, Call of Duty (and subsequent games using experience) could be called at least an RPG-lite styled game.

In that case, Call of duty could be considered a hybrid of heavy FPS gameplay with some RPG elements. It also does combat balancing between levels a hell of a lot more fairly than Earthrise. But again that would be an unfair comparison in the first place.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:45PM Joshua Przygocki said

@DevilSei That's my point. RPG LITERALLY means Role Playing Game, just as MMO LITERALLY means Massively Multiplayer Online. RPGs have more than just role playing a character though, you have character progression and customization of some sort. Just like an MMO is more than an online game with a lot of players, it would need to have persistence and a world within the game along with player interaction.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 9:59PM ndessell said

@Royalkin you do know the vast majority of eve players are casual, hell you only thing that require you to play for more than 10 minutes at a time is missioning and low sec travel

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 9:42AM mrdryden said

@Royalkin Don't forget ArcheAge! If it's even half as good as the devs ambitious plans are for it, it'll be a hell of a sandbox.

Ok, that's my limit for proselytizing for the month.

Posted: Jun 30th 2011 2:16PM hereafter said

@Royalkin

But, but television is more linear than themepark MMOs...

Posted: Jul 1st 2011 10:59PM Royalkin said

@hereafter God, your right. Aaaaaaagh!

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 12:59PM alycat said

@Joshua Przygocki

Secret World is probably the post apocalyptic game you're thinking of. I think it's only quasi-sandboxed though. Lots of freedom with character development though. There aren't set professions/classes.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:49PM ultimateq said

• Half a heart
It's an mmo for females. It will cater to women looking for an engaging online game that speaks to us. It will feature episodic content, unique shopping experiences, high fashion, art design, and intimate encounters, all in a tropical island setting.

And if you don't get the reference, well that's your loss. :)

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:50PM Allegos said

We'll see. The veteran designers working on Titan are the people who designed Burning Crusade, not the people who replaced old Azeroth with busted vehicle UI's, undertuned world Elites, and quests to be the sidekick while one of Metzen's characters has an adventure.

Hopefully something substantial will come out of this year's Blizzcon, even if it's just a skeleton to hang our speculations on. Being in the dark gets tiresome after a while.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 10:39PM Irem said

@Allegos
If it LOOKS anything like Burning Crusade, I may have to give it a try, god help me.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2011 5:39AM SgtBaker1234556 said

• 1 heart
@Allegos

tigole (Jeff Kaplan) is supposed to be the lead designer.. whatcouldpossiblygowrong?!?!

WoW has been so much better off ever since he stepped down, good riddance. I've no interest in Titan, it's going to be grindy gearfest as all his other designs.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:50PM (Unverified) said

@JohnLane
Your illiterate nonsense isn't funny and incredibly annoying in every single post you make. Is there anyway to ignore a users posts? NOTHING this guy posts is worth donkey spit.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:52PM Allegos said

ETA: The source quoted in the article is not a Blizzard employee. He's guessing from the outside, just like the rest of us.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM