Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:15PM Addfwyn said

Actually really like the first half of this article, I stream stuff from my mac to my ipad all the time, but for some reason the idea of streaming games over to it never occured to me once. Will promptly try that from the comfort of my sofa/bed sometime in the near future!

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:18PM Coolit said

I use this all the time. The biggest problem is the right click..

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:27PM Space Cobra said

I think a roman legionnaire's helmet would have added a touch of class to showing off your plethora of portable gaming devices, Beau!

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:14PM Beau Hindman said

@Space Cobra You going to buy it for me? :)

Beau

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:48PM Sabbatai said

Splashtop works well outside of your network. Just have to do some port forwarding, but it works..pretty well.

I understand those of us who have jailbroken our iPads can hack mouse support for bluetooth mice as well.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:12PM Beau Hindman said

@Sabbatai You just used a lot of words that hurt my head. lol I am familiar with jailbreaking but never do it. Also, I haven't had a chance to try it outside of network...can you elaborate a bit?

I think the outside-of-network thing is only used on iOS, correct?

Beau

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:22PM (Unverified) said

I would love to be able to use an older laptop for a similar application and use my PC as a hub for it....

My only problem with tablets is that I use ventrillo and Teamspeak and it might be a problem. I am against anything apple produced, but I might look up the samsung tablet through verizon.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:26PM pcgneurotic said

Awesome pictures dude. :D

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:27PM Lateris said

I was debating to get a iPad or not. Now you sold me on it you crazy punk rocker you. hey can you try Guild Wars ?

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:43PM Beau Hindman said

@Lateris That's funny you say that...I just redownloaded Guild Wars to discover I have all of the vet presents for the past 6 years, lol. In fact, after I write this comment I will try it out using Splashtop.

Beau

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:50PM Beau Hindman said

@Lateris Yep. Guild Wars seems to do just fine.

Beau

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 6:38PM Lateris said

@Beau Sweet- I also asked you on twitter so ignore my OCD-ness- ya the guy with the hat, four fingers, bass, and no picks! Its crazy because I was debating between a laptop and an ipad.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 8:53PM Ocho said

I took your advice to play Warspear Online from a previous column. Its definitely not the first time you've mentioned it. I must say, it is a great little MMO. Not as kiddie as most of them, and the 8-bit graphics rock. :)

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 11:10PM Germaximus said

OnLive is the awesome!!!!!! =)

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 11:25PM Kaoss said

lol an MMO company called aiGRIND, probs not the best name to have chosen

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 2:16AM Quint said

now i want to get an ipad just to play ultima online on it.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 12:39PM SkyStreak said

I bought this app soley on the basis of this article. Still in early stages, but so far, so good!

Posted: Jul 6th 2011 5:34PM Sabbatai said

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply.

The very basic explanation here is that when you try to use a device or software like Splashtop to connect to your home network from outside.. say the office or an airport or something... your router will most likely interpret this as an attack or potential attack and block the traffic.

Every router has a user interface that can be accessed from within your network by entering an IP address in your browser. It is generally 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 but your manual or the manufacturer's website will tell you for sure. You'll also need a password to get in. By default the password is generally "admin" or "password" and most of the time the "username" field is just left blank. Again, check with the manufacturer.. or let me know what brand of router you have.

If you set your own wireless network password or parental controls on your router ..then you've seen this interface before.

There is a section in that interface called "port forwarding" or sometimes "port mapping" and other times "pinholes". There are probably 100 different names for it but it is all the same.

This is where you would set up a "rule" for allowing Splashtop to access your network from somewhere else.

I currently connect to my home Win7 PC using Splashtop on my iPad while at work miles away.

Without jailbreaking you have to resort to gestures and touch screen shenanigans as the iPad has bluetooth mouse support disabled by default. Thanks Apple! So it isn't ideal for gaming to say the least.

If you DO happen to jailbreak.. mouse support is available and the lag for the most part is tolerable. Obviously this depends on the speed and quality both your home network and the network you are using to connect to it.

If this sounds like something you'd like to try just tell me what brand of router you are using and I'll type you up a guide. It is really, really simple I promise.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:34AM Teknogrebo said

I found this article a bit late, but tried Splashtop on my Desire HD with Rift running on my PC - although it streamed very nicely, I couldn't find the onscreen controller thing so couldn't move my character around (this may just be a feature for iPad, or the new HD version of Splashtop, which my phone can't run - there also seems to be a cursor offset problem when Splashtop resizes the desktop, so nothing is selectable. I then tried running the client on my daughters ancient dell laptop, which worked better in terms of screen resolution, but there was some noticeable lag over our wifi - I may try again with a wired connection, but all in all I think this is only really suitable for some geeky tinkering. Maybe if I had a decent tablet it would be better :)

Why I Play: ArcheAge