Posted: Jun 28th 2011 2:52PM (Unverified) said

after watching the trailer, I am confused....what kind of game is this?

It does have me intrigued, building your estate, having an army of minions, seems like a refreshing change from your standard themepark wow clone MMO that everyone else is making these days...maybe thats why its selling so well. ll have to read more about this game.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 2:55PM Hipster said

Im personally tired of Tab-targeting and quest-grinders.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:06PM Nandini said

How much does a headline on Massively cost these days?

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 3:22PM real65rcncom said

Wow, I'm impressed.

Grats to you guys at Heatwave.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:14PM kajnes said

It's not about new and shiny - people are looking for a new MMO to play. After WoW or Lineage2 We had maybe four games worth playing and atm there is nothing. Aion? Rift? = meaningless PVP and boring endgame.

Tera Online will be the last chance for the true mmo and maybe SWTOR. In the meantime people will try anything with mmo label on it.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 1:17AM PaperSpeaks said

@kajnes
ahaha,
in your opinion there has been no game 'worth' playing.
Personally I found Lineage 2 to be lackluster and boring, doesn't make the game not 'worth' it.
Some people like Rift, some people like Aion, and as long as it satisfies the crowd, it'll do.

and by the by, having played TERA, i wont bet on having it tear a hole or two in the MMO genre, just... don't expect much.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:25PM Sunlover said

Even the sun shines on a dog's rear every once in a while. And there's a good chance GW2 will outsell whatever MMO has been out for a while, and so will Tera, and so will SWTOR, and so will The Secret World, Blade & Soul, Warhammer 40k. Just insert your shiny new game with pseudo-new-fangled-graphics/systems/combat/boxart in place of any of the names above from now until the end of time.

The real questions are: 1) Are they actually fun and worth continuing to play/pay for? 2) Can they outsell WoW? 'Cause, I mean, I'm not a huge WoW fan anymore (and have nothing against it either), and nor am I the kind of person who thinks the amount of sales = the level of quality. But as long as we're talking numbers, let's not forget who's really pulling the big ones in and keeping them or bringing them back if they do leave.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:33PM Keeop said

It's not really a surprise. People are game hopping. Why? In my opinion it's because at the end of the day the fantasy-based treadmills are all the same. Watching where the money gets spent it seems obvious that people are hungry for something different. Either that or they're all killing time while waiting on Guild Wars 2. :)

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 4:59PM Budukahn said

I hate to join on the "non-issue" bandwagon with the trolls, but seriously - this is news? A brand new shiny game sold more on it's first weekend than a title that has been out for three months?

Now if the game was top of the all genre charts, then that might be something to write home about. But it isn't, so...

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:18PM Ratham said

This surprises me...

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 5:44PM Lenn said

@Puremallace Who said it was dying? Stop being such a drama-queen and let other games have their moment in the spotlight. Trion will still respect you in the morning.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 6:05PM real65rcncom said

@Puremallace No, the game is dying because it's about to shut down 20 servers.

Just wait until November. Rift will be a ghost town on most of those servers when the six month subs are all finally done after October.

Besides, didnt RIFT ban you from their forums for trolling Puremallace?

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 7:37PM (Unverified) said

OMFG...do we really need YET another cookie cutter MMO?

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 8:21PM FrostPaw said

During beta I wasn't impressed, I liked the idea of everyone leading a party of soldiers and being able to pick and choose what soldiers your band was made up of. It reminded me a little like the bands of warriors in Jason & The Argonauts or Clash of the Titans but sadly the gameplay didn't seem to match up to the promise by quite a hefty margin.

I suspect we are just seeing a trend that shows mmo players want to play new mmos but I also think we will see the trend that they are ultimately unsatisfied and after the free month they will start leaving in greater numbers for existing games.

If the developer can buy a half finished product, turn it into a retail persistant world that people are willing to buy and spend money on then good luck to them.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 11:29PM (Unverified) said

I don't play either, but let's be honest, they were outsold on STEAM, not overall.. this is a little misleading...

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 1:45AM Lenn said

@Puremallace How in burning hell could you possibly drag GW2 into this? You might be a troll, but you're not a very good one.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 5:27AM Dread said

4th positive article on this steaming pile of dog turd. I'm rapidly loosing faith in Massively as an 'honest' news source for the MMO Industry, and by extension the whole Joystick network. Far to much Advertorials posing as news nowadays.

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 8:05AM Lenn said

@Dread You see what you want to see. I see Massively simply reporting on facts. And also note this question with which the article ends: "Is it a case of a better-than-expected game or another example of how MMO players will buy anything and everything if it's new and shiny?"

Posted: Jun 29th 2011 6:12AM coledognz said

Steam isn't the only distributor for Rift. I bought my Rift digitally through the official website and it runs without requiring steam.

So this isn't really something to gloat about.