Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:08PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Guildleves are the stupidest idea in years, the reason XiV will never be fixed also. To much of the game is built around this flawed system. "hmmm we want to elimate the grindy feel, so we'll just centralize all these quests, remove all story elements, and have people kill X mobs on on a timer." MMO games and especially the FF series THE STORY is the heart of the game, and you took a giant crap on the whatever magic FF had by this poor quality of gaming.

Boycott SE products

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:23PM Syesta said

@(Unverified)
Well, if you actually read what they are changing, then you should be happy:
"When FINAL FANTASY XIV was launched last September, it was stated via official channels that guildleves will form the heart of the game. Today, I’d like to officially retract that statement.
Guildleves will no longer be central to FINAL FANTASY XIV."

Anyways, I really like what I'm reading and am very glad to see the big changes finally go live.
I believe it's been said before, but damn, I wish Yoshida was in charge from the get-go.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:26PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Syesta

Yes I read it, the problem is they can't fix it. The game was originally built around this concept; centralized camps, the world mapping, the bulk of the gameplay.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 3:19PM Tizmah said

@(Unverified)

Well hold on now. The premise of Guildleves wasn't bad. They were meant to be there for people who just wanted to pop in and out real quick while still achieving something. However, the game was based around a grinding aspect, so that was the flaw.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 4:04PM Elikal said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) Well said. If you sprinkle gold on a turd, it is still a turd. Game is lost.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 4:05PM (Unverified) said

@Tizmah

Guildleve are the grinding aspect, if it doesn't have story it should not be in the game. Even the stupid quest backdrop story of, "Wolves are killing my sheep, please get rid of the wolves." Makes more sense! If you don't have time to do a quest even, you shouldn't be playing games. That's punishing everyone to meet the time schedule of a minority.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 8:07PM Fakeassname said

@(Unverified)

the story behind them is that you are doing contract labor for the various guilds / factions of them game. instead of everyone being the "OFG he is so cool and the savior of the world! and so is that person, and that person, and that person ... in fact every single one of them is individually the savior of the world!" character in the game world: your the paid help.

yes your involved in the big business going on, but mostly as the back up muscle (who are the ones actually getting things done) to the iconic personalities in the game world. much like linebackers are to a quarterback.

however, in between those big events you still gotta pay the bills: and thus you work guildleaves on consignment for the adventurers guild. it's kinda funny how much FFXIV and SWG have both gotten flack on the same issue, they aren't Han Solo / Cloud Strife simulators: they are Bar Dancer #5 / Cid's assistant #8 simulators. yes the Guildleaves are quite repetitive and a little grindy, but that is easily fixed by adding in more of them. sure, they aren't earth scattering "save the princess" type quests (but not every quest can be), and they are still a step above "kill 20 rats and return".

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 10:18AM Horsebird said

But in WoW, I AM the savior of Azeroth. Or in EVE Online, I'm the president of the galaxy. Hell, even in The Matrix Online, I was the second coming of The One (does that make me "The Two"??).

Star Wars Galaxies was mentioned... I could at least be a Jedi in that. In Star Wars: The Old Republic, I can be a bounty hunter or rogue. So yes, I can be the next Han Solo.

In FF14, I am a hired contractor that chops wood of kills wolves.

See the difference?

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:12PM slickie said

I can't help but worry that it's too late for FFXIV.

For better or for worse, a MMO's success often depends on how the game is like at launch. If it makes a bad first impression, it usually won't get another chance, even if the developers add more leveling content and/or reduce grind.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:19PM Lannden said

@slickie They still have a second launch coming for the ps3 though.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:37PM Rialle said

@Lannden

So basically the PC version is being used to beta test for the PS3 users? I guess since you can get it for $5 at GameStop and they're still, to my knowledge, not charging subscription fees... well I guess it isn't far from the truth.

Polishing the game up enough so that it doesn't absolutely suck by the time they release the PS3 version might just be the only saving grace this game has left. There is no reason a PC gamer should be touching this title with all the other MMOs in the market unless they REALLY like catgirls.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:05PM Lannden said

@Rialle Yeah its basically an expended open beta, to be honest though, if I could afford to upgrade my PC, I would be playing this. Its different from the same old formula that all the other MMOs are using and I became burnt out on 2 years ago.

I played the hell out of FFXI for 4 years before everyone jumped on the wowagon. I am actually excited to try a second outing now that XIV is becoming more like it.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:32PM Stuxatte said

• 1 heart
Can you jump yet in this game? Serious question.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:35PM Lannden said

@Stuxatte I think in a past latter it was mentioned they were adding it as well as making the world more open.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:03PM Cirocco said

I'll revisit this game when it's ready for the PS3 launch. The issues and gameplay should be resolved and polished by then.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:15PM Arkanaloth said

@Cirocco

I'm not so certain I will.. at the rate they are going SW:TOR will be out and I've enjoyed my time in that beta so I'm certainly getting it, then there's GuildWars2 and when that comes out the entire world will cease to exist for me.

shame really, I have a FF14 collectors edition no less on my shelf, FF11 was sooooo good in so many ways (but flawed in others), it just amazed me how far they missed the mark on 14. Honestly I hope they do fix the game, but I don't see myself going back to it especially after TOR shows up.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:41PM Cirocco said

@Arkanaloth I'll also play TOR and Guild Wars 2 (it's a box-only monetary sacrifice so you can never go wrong there) but if the new dev team on FFXIV can put more emphasis on the story elements and gameplay and its unique world view and nuance that I've come to enjoy about the Final Fantasy games many moons ago then I'll participate in FFXIV too in the future.

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 10:20AM Horsebird said

There won't be a PS3 launch.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 3:41PM (Unverified) said

This game will never launch on PS3.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 4:13PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

It should never launch on PS3, just trying to scam their dying FF fan base if they do.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014