Posted: Jun 27th 2011 12:45PM Kaoss said

I think it's a great idea to be honest. I wasn't around for Turbine's implementation of it but from what I just read it looks like people claimed that personal information was being given to the company's and the user didn't know it.

As long as the user knows what they're dealing with I think this is a good alternative.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:46PM Daemodand said

Google Scamville.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:31PM Yellowdancer said

I think EQ2X has this. But you have to go searching for the surveys and offers. They never get sent to your email. In exchange they give you station cash. This service is fine by me. Gotta keep the lights on, after all.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 7:53PM szatuchny said

The only item of information passed to the partners is the players use ID so that we can credit the proper account. Any other information required by the offer is up to the user to submit.

Many of the offers do not require any personal information other than an email address and some do not require anything at all.

Just playing around this week, I installed IE 9.0 and while I mainly use FireFox, someone paying me .90 to install the latest version of IE seemed like a good deal. I think I was given even more to install the latest version of Real Player. and only .10 to watch a video.

Some of the offers are a little more personal, such as playing a facebook game which requires me using my facebook account, but there are already hundreds of millions of people doing this, and here someone is willing to pay you for it.

Of course there are offers on there that require entering really private information but it is up to the user to do. I've been putting off using one of the free credit reporting agencies, which obviously require you to enter enough personal information to really identify yourself, but since this is something I really wanted to do, I signed up for one from the offer wall and got $6.80 worth of Samba's for it. I then cancelled the service as is COMPLETELY ALLOWED by the offer and not only saw my credit report but found out about the agency should I ever need them in the future and did I mention I got $6.80 worth of virtual currency for my time.

We think of it as a really great way to bridge the gap between the haves and the have nots. Not every player can afford to buy that cool looking hat, and while it gives no in game advantage, why would we want to limit it to only those with expendable income. Either you are fortunate and have a great job or you are a college student and have a little extra time, either way, we wanted to provide a way for both types of players to participate in the little extra's offered in Free-2-play games.

-Slava
Director of operations
GameSamba

Posted: Jun 28th 2011 2:02AM szatuchny said

@Tempes Magus, that is totally the only way it could be appropriate. Players can participate as much or as little or not at all at their discretion. When you click on the store it will show you all the direct payment methods and bellow that show you all 3 partners which players are free to use or not.

I have heard horror stories of customer lists being sold, and in those cases the customers didn't even receive any benefits just headaches. As far as I know, none of the publishers still in business would even consider doing such a thing, or I suspect they would quickly cease being in business.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014