Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:25PM (Unverified) said

CCP has always seem to be that cool kid on the block. I never really got into Eve but always wanted to, but just wasn't fast pace enough for me.

But I can not believe they would slap their loyal customer base with these way over priced CS items. Do they not realize it is just virtual items. I'm sure they didn't spend months or even weeks of employee paid time designing these cosmetic items.

Gaming companies will always try to push their limits with what a player will spend on items. Especially mmorpgs because of the status symbol. But come on, these prices are through the roof!

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 9:06PM Zyrusticae said

@(Unverified)

Indeed.

Like the article says, these prices simply do not make sense when compared to the "anchor point" of real-life clothing items. ESPECIALLY when you consider that real-life clothing items are actually made from real materials that had to be gathered with real labor from real human beings and had to be transported with real (and expensive) fuel-guzzling transportation.

Virtual clothing items cost hardly anything to make and far, FAR less to transport and distribute. With these things in mind, paying more than $5 for a virtual shirt (no matter HOW fancy) is simply criminal.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:33PM Taawa said

I wonder what the Mitani and Goonswarm think of all this.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:25PM smg77 said

@Taawa

Here's an excerpt from his latest post about it:

"I and the rest of the CSM have been extremely blunt in our demands that CCP issue a formal disavowal of 'gold ammo', non-vanity microtransactions, or otherwise bleeding gold into the sandbox of EVE. My impression is that a quick "Look, the monocles are expensive, but we're not doing gold ammo" would have ended this crisis days ago and CCP wouldn't be down at least 2500 accounts. The fact that CCP has remained silent on the issue is increasingly being taken to imply what everyone fears - that a company which would without irony charge $70 for a space monocle will issue $250 i-win lasers. "

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 12:37AM Taawa said

@smg77
Fascinating! And he's right. Thank you very much.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:07PM DeadlyAccurate said

@Taawa The Mittani talked about it on Ten Ton Hammer. http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/spymaster/63

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:37PM ThePeon25 said

• Half a heart
If EVE online did die I would be pissed on the players not CCP.
In my opinion CCP has done nothing wrong it is the player base that in my eyes are wrong. If your laptop can not handle Incarna buy a tabletop PC and stop crying about it cuz I don´t care if you can´t play it i´ts your own fault for being stupid and baying a laptop in the first place. Micro transactions okey it is bad if the price of items are way to high but I still don´t care cuz no one bloody force me to buy it. They don´t sit there with a gun saying buy our expensive shit or else. Oh and last is allot of ppls don´t seam to know what brainstorming is are eve players that bloody brain damage hmm ?? In Fearless people are arguing a point, which doesn't even have to be their view they just BLOODY BRAIN STORM. Nothing in the Fearless is set in stone and is gonna be in the game it´s more of a list of ideas nothing more but after seeing players reaction I start to wonder if some ppls does not even have a brain. This is my OPINION about the whole situation if you don´t like it fine you have your own but if you gonna start a fight with me about it do me a favor don´t do it cuz it only show how immature you are for taking some ones opinion personally.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:45PM Utakata said

I think the idea of "CCP is a company whose primary objective is to make money from its games, and how it does that should be up to it" is almost as bad as "customer is always right". When niether is the case.

Although it's nice to make money, but you can't money on a product at customer expense. It simply defeats the purpose of having a product to begin with. Conversly you wouldn't want customer armchair developing of your game, because it would unlikely end up as the product the company intended....far form it actually. Thus driving away sales.

But it is the combination of developer and customer working together that will likely generate more income for the game. At the same time making the customer feel they're a big part of it while playing a great game.

So developer and cutomer should be given equal footing. But as one gets the better of the other...then the quality of the game and it's delivery will suffer, likely effecting its bottom line. EVE this week was a great example where this relationship went way off the rails. It maybe awhile before they ever get customer confidence back again.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 9:26PM Silverangel said

"plans that strictly contradict previous promises on gameplay-affecting microtransactions" ... Hm, now where have I seen this before... The sad thing is that the profit will probably surpass the loss from the players who actually act on their principles and leave.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 9:37PM Irem said

I listened to the recent EVE Radio broadcast you were on and the whole thing was really fascinating, if saddening. I hope this turns around and that you get the game you know and care about back. Losing your enthusiasm for a game, especially one you've put a lot of time, love, and energy into, is always heartbreaking.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:21PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I think people are being slightly melodramatic about it, but in their defense CCP has been doing some pretty shady/stupid things in the past few months. The big thing that really made me take a look back was the fact that they were forcing people to buy licenses to develop modules for the game. I mean, seriously, I could understand if they were $10 US or $20 US but they're $100 US.

As far as the cash shop goes, who cares? Don't buy the clothes! You'd have to be out of your mind to spend the kind of money they are supposedly charging for e-clothes anyway.

Rage quitting will show CCP that they should not try to gain a profit on people who want to throw their money away. Err.. wait... what?!?!

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:26PM smg77 said

@(Unverified)
It really has nothing to do with the price of clothing. It's the fact that the leaked documents from CCP show that they are going to be adding uber ships, ammo, mods, etc to the cash shop and that is not ok.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:50PM kgptzac said

• Half a heart
@smg77

I only see the leaked documents showing CCP is internally discussing broaden their virtual sales, possibly to faction standing. Can you quote the part where they are going to add uber ships, ammo, and mods to the cash shop?

Also, I lol at the title of this post. I haven't seen something more distasteful than "Eve is dying", but apparently now I have, lol.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:00AM (Unverified) said

@kgptzac

Page 9 of the newsletter:

In short, it’s the same in Incarna as elsewhere: we give players the means to buy stuff in addition to their base subscription, offering things like new “nano-paints” that allow one to customize ships while docked; new articles of virtual clothing, tattoos, and other avatar customizations; tokens for customizing Captain’s Quarters and so on. Not all virtual purchases will focus on customization: some will simply be new items, ammunition, ships, etc. that can be purchased outright. The devil, as always, is in the details.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 1:02AM Eamil said

@(Unverified)

How odd, I've never shown up as Unverified before. That was me.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 2:28AM kgptzac said

@(Unverified)

Thanks. seems i missed that part hehe

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:31PM Tizmah said

They just want extra money for extra projects they got coming up.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:31PM darrenkitlor said

CCP: you were already doing almost everything better than Cryptic Studios.

Why'd you feel the need to outdo their microtrans model?

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 9:32AM Eamil said

@Tempes Magus

Not to say one is better or worse than the other but just to point out, Cryptic had the cash shop before they went free-to-play, as does STO (which is still subscription-only).

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 9:33AM Eamil said

@Eamil

Champions* had the cash shop before they went free to play.