Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:08PM Kalex716 said

@Brendan Drain

Good point, but i also feel like people that irrationally cancel subs, are much more likely to re-up once that initial emotional knee jerk reaction wears off (and they go cool off playing other MMO's on the scene, and quickly realize the EVE fix is still one of a kind).

The fact that people log in to "actively protest" also suggests they do enjoy playing eve to some extent (even if its to promote dissent). One might even argue that participating in such protests are liable to be one of those "I remember when..." type stories later on down the road for veterans and new players witness this alike.

One thing is for sure, CCP will be paying very close attention to the actual cancellation rates in the next month or so, and I suspect they'll react based on that.

By the way, great article Brendan. It really is strange to see so many controversial strategies CCP seems to be taken round up into one contextualized article. This summer, is definitely going to be significant for CCP's future.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 10:26PM Brendan Drain said

@Kalex716 If CCP has any sense, it will be looking at cancellations of subs, definitely. But Hilmar's email has people worried that he is purposely ignoring all metrics except sales of MT items. This is indicative of a trend I noticed at the EVE Fanfest and that the insider I talked with was very worried about -- CCP suddenly becoming very conscious of sales figures and using sales as their primary target. EVE is not a retail product, it's a subscription service and treating it as anything else could be disasterous.

Posted: Jun 27th 2011 6:53AM ChromeBallz said

@Brendan Drain

You're forgetting that Incarna was supposed to be the uber expansion that brings in many many new players, but even in that the expansion has failed to generate the interest most previous expansions got from returning players. The sunday after an expansion usually generates a PCU record, however, despite Incarna's intent it didn't even come close.

I would take this as a hint that players *are* leaving as i can't really explain why this expansion, as "big" as it is, failed to generate the numbers you saw after the other big ones.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:26PM adfoam said

I read the so-called Zulu apology. It is still bad for CCP and himself.

You never set a tone to so called addressed players concern by being condescending. How is it that it is the player's fault that they do not like CCP's idea of cash shop or the fact that CCP wanted to affect gameplay with putting ammo, ships,etc. in the future.

See the Big MMO can tell players to suck it up or leave and the community lets it slide every time. But Eve has those dedicated, loyal player base that love Eve to death and CCP cant afford that mass leaving with 2 projects in the works. Just look what happen to SWG when SOE/LA did CU and NGE.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:27PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
So lets see......

SOME Players earning real life cash (they are) are mad because CCP is now going to dip into their profits, this is the main brewhaha and i wouldnt doubt one or two devs due to past track records have their hands in some sideline profit making that may be discovered hence the uproar.

SOME Players are mad they dont have the disposable cash to pay for the pimped items being sold. (yes they are spendy) (BigGrin)

SOME players that have had free reign in the smelly sandbox are mad because there may be an influx of *cough* other people.....not them.

The dozens of emails comment by the OP makes more sense, i will bet its the creative spin side of the op wanting it to be hundreds of emails making that statement to fluff the article, though one or two people may be spamming complaints (laugh).

And i guess the biggest laugh of all is the proof of this article and suposed problem even existing in the first place, Proof that a vocal minority in EVE, mostly vets simply cannot mind their own business.

But hey its like the little whining girl down the street seeing another little girl get something they havent got or simply not liking it, they end up crying to mommy. EVE players, too funny. (grin) (not defending CCP btw) Its just that you EVE players are such busybodies.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:30PM Deadalon said

CCP has died in the eyes of many gamers over the past few days. All their goodwill is gone and I really can't see how they are gonna grawl their way back with PR and onsale items.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:32PM shiningfury said

As an Eve veteran I'm in agreement with the points in this article. I sincerely hope that CCP changes direction and focuses on years-old bugs, abandoned ideas, and game play improvements that will enhance what makes Eve special: spaceships. I really don't think anyone wants a second rate Second Life on space stations. We play Eve to fly SPACESHIPS. We also don't want people buying crap in a cash shop that will actually influence events inside the game.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:33PM Nenene said

Very much enjoyed your show on EVE Radio, Brendan. It was a very good listen.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:34PM Sorithal said

Wait, this game has been out for eight years and NOW this is happening?

Wow, seems like CCP is either desperate for money yet won't actually say that, or Bobby Kotick possessed CCP's higher-ups to grab as much money as they can from the playerbase without caring about the playerbase's reactions.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:39PM Nenene said

@Sorithal
Kotiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:40PM Sorithal said

@Nenene

Well, that seems like the only explainable reason for CCP's apparently massive transformation >.>

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:43PM Nenene said

@Sorithal
The head guy at EA has fallen prey to 'KOTICK' as well.

Riticiello or whatever his name is. I tend to just refer to him as 'Kotick #2'.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:39PM Sorithal said

I think CCP would make a ton more money if they partner up with Activision. What they would do to get a ton of money is very simple.

Write a book called "How We Ruined Good Games" - any and every game developer would -have- to buy it so that they know what to avoid in order to actually succeed with their video games/businesses.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:46PM Naloth said

I've been playing for five years and I've always bragged on CCP and defended EVE when people mocked me for it. I told people that CCP cared more for its players than any other company out there. Now? Well lets just say I won't be wearing my Minmatar shirt anytime soon.

You hit most of the issues except for the rather minor things like their overhappy use of the forum banhammer, the CQ avatars being exceptionally different than the character creator version, and the fact that a lot of the turret icons are too dark to see next to the target icon when firing.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 7:53PM Hunt4r said

• Half a heart
I really don't get the outrage here. If you don't want to buy high priced e-peenage, don't.

If CCP wants to have an internal debate on how to sell items to players - great. I want them to make money and deliver more content.

If CCP ends up selling convenience items - awesome. Those with money to burn can save time, those who think its a rip off (me) can pass. LOTRO has had this for over a year now: the community is growing, Turbine is making more money and content is being released faster than ever. Is this bad?

Let's also not forget that CCP sells ISK directly to players already - so those with disposable income can already buy anything they want in game. How can you be enraged about any of the above points when a method to buy "advantage" (and I use this very loosely) has been there for a long time.

EVE is 8 years old. The world has changed a lot. It will continue to do so. Welcome to EVE...

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:06PM Naloth said

@Hunt4r

LOTR is also f2p with a buy what you want to play mentality, EVE has a monthly sub. Games with both tend not to do so well. CCP does not sell ISK, CCP sells PLEX which the player then has to sell to another player, keeping in line with the player driven economy already in place. Purchasing Ships, standings, ammo, etc directly from CCP will bypass the economy and give it a good wrecking. Also an objectionable is the hints that much of the things purchasable from the NEX store will be NEX exclusive. Which, if EVE was f2p, would be fine. But I don't see them forgoing the sub anytime soon.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:37PM Hunt4r said

@Naloth

A couple things I would like to say here:

Selling PLEX is selling ISK (to those that want it) - there is no denying that fact. Players who want money will buy and convert, this is all I was referring to. It is already part of the game.

In my experience LOTRO players are still (mostly) solidly in the subscribed category. In this category I personally know many people have extra cash to blow on convenience items. This is a win for them (saving time) and Turbine (more money to develop more content). Again, how is this bad? I am not sure what games are not doing so well with subs and micro transactions. Whichever ones you have in mind, one also has to look at the quality of the game in general before jumping to conclusions. I am curious which you are referring to though...

On bypassing the economy, there are already faction items available in game that are only available via NPCs. No player makes these items, yet there is no outrage. With such attention on maintaining the economy of this game I do agree that CCP has to be very careful if they decide sell items directly to players. To date they have not done this nor have they announced any official plans to do so. Screaming about what might happen makes for nice sensationalism (not directed at you, but at the behavior we see in general) but a rational conversation about concerns we would like to would probably be more appropriate at this point in time. At the end of the day none of us know what the impact would be because we have not studied it nor do we understand what limits may be in place to prevent the damage we anticipate. Its all hypothetical at this point anyway.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 9:02PM Zyrusticae said

@Hunt4r
"On bypassing the economy, there are already faction items available in game that are only available via NPCs. No player makes these items, yet there is no outrage."

I just feel like commenting on this.

Players DO "make" them. They "make" them by running a huge number of missions on a daily basis to collect the needed tags, modules, and faction points in order to afford the items. The only way to "make" them is to collect the points yourself, period. Lots of players thrive specifically on gathering the faction points to buy faction items and sell them on the market (through the contracts system).

On a different note...
I also feel like noting that P2W items would be destructible just like anything else in the game. Viewed from this lense, the outrage is slightly exaggerated. After all, very few people will PvP in expensive faction-fit ships, and even fewer will do so with deadspace/officer fits. So if someone wants to spend $50 on an exclusive battleship with a 10/10/10 slot configuration exclusively for missioning, why not? It'd just make it sting THAT much harder when they inevitably lose it to some crafty suicide gankers (or even a single can flipper).

Still, I find the condescending attitude on display here to be more than enough to cause concern. I really hope something good comes out of this CSM session.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:21PM Crsh said

This is really too bad. I was part of the betas back in 2002 all the way to launch in 2003, I played the game until about 2 years ago when I was just in need of something else. CCP is a great company, I have tons of respect for them.

That is, until this little thing started to unfold; it really sounds like hubris is running the place now, CCP just became overconfident and is disconnected from their players.

It's not too late to turn back and do things right, along with being more transparent about it - just like the CSM, while a great idea, was never going to reach its full potential, CCP has just proven that to everybody.

Posted: Jun 26th 2011 8:22PM Lucidus said

I guess this a bad time to activate the EVE client I bought off Steam.

/sigh