Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:37PM RavenCries said

@Khai mann

I stated in my comment that I did not understand, so yes the comment was asking about something I don't understand (good lord imagine that!). Your response was useless but thanks. I can only assume that either you don't want to be bothered giving a constructive answer or you don't know, or possibly both, either way you probably shouldn't bother posting replies.

Majority of the negative comments are about the store and the micro-transactions. If the situation isn't about those things, then it seems to me that people are really not getting that message out properly.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:59PM RavenCries said

@Skyydragonn

Thanks for the reply constructive reply :P

I agree the pricing is a bit stupid. I'm not sure I would believe that a cash shop after a game is released (or even at the time of release) necessarily negates the value of the effort put into your characters development (depends what is being sold).

If items are sold that affect gameplay then yes being upset is reasonable. Protesting and/or petitioning the developers as an expression of displeasure to try and get them to revert their decisions makes sense. But cosmetic items that just look different and don't affect gameplay...seems like the old children's story "The Boy who Cried Wolf". Getting angry before the wolf even shows up.

Ah well, cash shops are a touchy subject I suppose. I only dislike them if they feel mandatory, so far that's only occurred in F2P titles, the rest is just fluff. Hopefully it'll work itself out.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:26PM Khai mann said

@RavenCries

Skyydragonn explains it well. The reasons for the discontent have been posted on this site many times, it's not even new. It's about Incarna, cash shop, lack of new content for 18 months, the state of the game, etc... The list goes on and on.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:26PM Khai mann said

@RavenCries

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 8:14PM Irem said

@RavenCries
Thing is--there's nothing wrong with getting ready for the wolf to show up. It's a wolf. It's a threat. Wouldn't you want to prevent any problems?

The "wolf" in this case is pay-to-win items, and the establishment of high prices ties into that (if they're selling vanity items for $50+, what will they charge to buy power, and how much of an advantage will that give people who are patience-poor and money-rich?). Right now our hypothetical wolf is trying to see how close he can get to the village without getting chased off, and I have to wonder about the village that sees him there and assumes he's just minding his own business until the point where he -actually- starts carrying off children and livestock.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 11:12AM Dunraven said

• Half a heart
Protests...and other reason I say I love games but never lump me in with that weird cult known as gamers.

One of my Dad's chums works at SOE in the states..he was telling him a few years back some nutjob showed up in the San Diego offices all the way from New York to protest getting his account banned; after some very intense moments he was escorted from the property by the police and issue a restraining order. Ever since then there are a group of well armed Security officers at all SOE campuses.

Nutjobs are the main reason we can't have nice things

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:11PM JadeCurtiss said

• 1 heart
Im still playing eve and have no plan to quit if other quit fine with me less cry babies cyring on form about crap. I like how incarna is looks nice feels nice and added a nice element to the game. I can agree that 68 dollar for an item is way over priced but I donĀ“t care cuz I never plan to buy it and it does not effect my game play what so ever. So I wonder why they cry so much has the eve community turned in to a bunch of 12 years old wow players that cry for everything and nothing ??

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:23PM (Unverified) said

Not about price, or vanity items this is about buying game advantages.

The high price of the vanity items are not the reason for this protest. The reason is the notion CCP has hinted to in a internal memo, (and also hasn't refuted) that the microtransaction will cross the line in directly selling game advances, not just vanity stuff. People just don't care for that sort of system, mind you in many games there ways to do this, but not this directly. It puts the fairness, and effort of the player within the game in question. This can ruin games, many people simply won't stand for it. If you want to get this through to developers, Eve and other games, you have to talk with your subscriptions.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:40PM Jade Effect said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

So you're protesting what exactly? That CCP might or might not "cross the line" in some indeterminable future?

Haha, okay then, have fun protesting. And don't forget the tin foil hat.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:53PM Utakata said

@Troll Effect

They're likely protesting the MT's in general. Whether it's price and/or principle of the thing. Or don't you get that?

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 8:18PM Irem said

@Jade Effect
It's just a wee bit disingenuous to act as though it's paranoid to assume that a company looking to see what they can get away with charging for won't eventually charge for whatever they can get away with, don't you think?

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:44PM hansh0tfirst said

I can hardly wait for the next CCP 'Permaband' HTFU video in response to this.

Is t20 still giving out free stuff to his buds?

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:45PM (Unverified) said

the protests are happening mostly due to plans for selling NON-VANITY items like ships. if THIS happens, protests will cease and people will simply leave. i dont think any of us really care about clothes.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:46PM Ryukan said

When a game retains a mandatory subscription fee to play and then adds a cash shop on top of it they are already shooting themselves in the foot. Microtransactions will only add bullets to be shot into the foot.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:50PM Sharuk said

I don't see how anyone can support CCP if the Hilmar e-mail is true. I hate it when dev teams think "innovation" and "change" mean charging your customer base a ridiculous sum of money for RMT. That is not change or innovation.

I am glad Eve players are taking a stand, this effects all of gaming. Charging a subscription and a cash shop that can effect gameplay is crossing the line. Period.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:52PM pcgneurotic said

• 1 heart
IMHO, every one of CCP's responses to this pricing issue has been spectacularly mis-interpreted by a legitimately angry knee-jerk mob. Whatever one thinks of their pricing policy, there is no way that a sane, rational human being of any maturity or life experience could take the newsletter, dev blog posting or company email as being the steaming satanic stool samples they're being made out to be. Oj, what a mess.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:11PM Skyydragonn said

the problem stems from CCPs internal leak clearly implying the intent to add game effecting items such as ships, weapons etc to the cash shop. It's going to turn EVE online intoa player grindhouse. Where new players come in play, eventually purchase something and realize that if your not paying then your not playing to max capacity. They quit and the next sow in line gets butchered in similar fashion right behind them. Its nothing new persay, but I'm horrified to see it hit EVE online. Which btw I also expect to go the F2P route as well just prior to dust 514s release.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:22PM phalkonz said

• 1 heart
It's funny that people are throwing tantrums over this and ignoring that you can buy PLEX for real$ then use that to buy items from the market. This just allows people to skip buying PLEX. To anyone that's leaving, contract your stuff to "Tsangdhori", I'll give it a good home.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:50PM DeadlyAccurate said

@phalkonz It sets a ceiling to the price of the goods, effectively removing the sandbox element of allowing the players to control the market.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 2:53PM (Unverified) said

@phalkonz

You don't need to touch plex to buy all the normal goods though. The new NEX shop REQUIRES you to participate in RMT, as even if you buy a PLEX off the market someone spent money on that PLEX.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014