Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:17PM Myria said

• 1 heart
S4 has been coming "SOON!!!11!!!1!!" since shortly after release. At this point it doesn't even matter when, or even 'if', it's going to be released, what matters is the question of whether or not there's anything meaningful past it in the pipe. Frankly I'm doubt it, and the piecemeal handout of bits of S4 and the eternal "SOON!!!11!!!1!!" don't look good.

If there isn't anything major in the pipe -- as in, S5 being mostly done -- they're in even more trouble than people seem to be aware.

As for the rest, Factions aren't going to matter. Seriously, they've long since neutered what little there was about them that did matter and made it easy to swap, it's too late to turn back now. Clans, meh, they come and go like the wind -- the half life of a clan in FE is measured in picoseconds. Economy? Hahahahahaha! Even ignoring that the vast bulk of PvErs could give a rat's arse about driving the economy (Seriously, do they think their playerbase is made up of CPAs or something?), FE isn't built to have a meaningful economy, quite the opposite. And RPers will still be utterly and completely ignored, despite -- and, mind you, I'm not an RPer -- being the one and only meaningful and loyal playerbase the game has.

Oh, and to those who think the item store won't turn into pay-to-win? I have a bridge to sell you..

I hear the Eve devs -- and god knows the current crop of FE devs (what, the fourth or fifth, I've lost count?) desperately want FE to be post-apoc Eve (I suppose the "drive the economy" stupidity makes sense in that light) -- have some great ideas for housing and item shops.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:12PM JuliusSeizure said

@Myria

I don't know where to begin. There's almost nothing but factual errors and logical fallacies in this comment.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:21PM Muddleglum said

When I heard about the top tier subscription aura, buff, thingy, I was worried. But if the aura isn't combat related or anything close, I feel a bit better. They have to do the cash shop right not to ruin this game though and I just don't see it..

I have always hoped they would add more sandbox elements. Player housing/towns would be amazing.
And the multi-player vehicles is the other thing I have dreamed for. A Mad Max RV may be in the cards after all!

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:23PM user750 said

"The actual development will remain in the capable hands of Marie and her team"

This means fail. This means promises won't be furfiled in LOOOONG-LOOOOOOOOONG time.
Playing since Beta.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:23PM Dunkare said

To the PvPers: Factions matter. Clans matter.
pretty obvious. the pvpers demand a gameplay based reason to pvp since forever and now theyre promised (again) to get what they cry for.

To the PvEers: Hope you brought your keys because it's time for you to drive this economy.
new vehicles to craft? less stuff to buy from npcs? i dont know what hes saying :P

To the RPers: You are a beautiful snowflake. There's no reason you can't be a deadly snowflake too.
im pretty sure hes talking about implementing more gear thats stylish AND useful. although i havent seen this being mentioned anywhere else yet?

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 1:09PM Vorender said

I cancelled my sub 2 weeks ago, at least until the combat revamp hits. The sooner it's live, the sooner they can have my money.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 1:16PM MtthwRddl said

I hope there is a tier higher than "free" for those that actually purchased the original game and/or had a subscription at one time.

I'm looking forward to the changes! The game is great, really!

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 1:31PM Space Cobra said

I still have to poke around with other games Gamers First has, but I am trying out APB reloaded now and, I am a bit disheartened with some of the decisions Gamers First have put into the game.

Customizing, particularly decals, is cut WAY down now in f2p and in several other areas, like clothing, it also suffers. To me, that was one of the big parts of the game's appeal.

Also, "renting" items/gear for a few days rubs me the wrong way. They do have different-plans for longer periods and some items have a permanent option. Of course, it costs increasingly more. Maybe a *little* too much more, although I may go for it (if I continue playing).

I think anyone of these things I can let pass, but I am not feeling a "velvet rope" inasmuch as an "Iron bar"; these little things add up and are souring me. Now, I can grind with my starter gear and get some money to help improve it, but it's gonna be quite a grind for the limited selection I prefer that offers "permanent" buy-rights.

Add to that the do not have any more game-time-cards for their games. Yes, I could whip out the credit card, but I just prefer the option of game cards. I found out a few month's back, Target (and some other stores) used to carry them, but for some reason, Gamers First decided to end that program, so we are now stuck with either Credit Card or "Ultimate Gaming Card" which, while it is the better option in FFIX, it still chaffes me because you need to do a few extra steps to add in the game-card through another site.

So, there is that problem, too.

I think, if any ONE of these problems are cured (lowering some of the in-game item prices or increasing rental days-per-money-spent/value or distributing their OWN game cards again), I'd probably be more willing and content, but now I am...a bit deflated and not-too-eager.

We'll have to see how this affects Fallen Earth (and like I said, I have to play their other offerings and compare).

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:00PM jmerriex said

@Space Cobra A few things here.

1. We've restricted F2P customization in APB Reloaded with the specific purpose of ensuring game performance. F2P players can still create some great stuff but with the limits they have, they significantly reduce the potential hit on server performance. Right now we're running about triple the CCU the game initially had and if all of those players were sending full customizations all the time, you just wouldn't be able to play.

I'm always confused about people complaining that F2P players can't customize as much as premium players. The alternative is that F2P players just can't play as much. In the RTW days, F2P players couldn't play in the Action Districts at all. Now you have a few restrictions on how many symbols you can throw on your character but can level up to the max level in the game, all without paying a dime.

2. It will not take very long to earn enough APB$ to buy new vehicles and weapons. In fact, in one 2 hour session you can have enough money to buy new stuff. The starter vehicle and gun are in the top 3 vehicles and weapons specifically because we wanted people to be able to compete without grinding.

3. Permanent weapons will be re-introduced at a later point and time. Possibly with Clan Warfare. Right now rating and progression are simply a measure of how long you have played the game. We want those items to be tied more to actually achieving something and not just standing around doing missions (which really isn't too much fun).

4. We're in talks right now with several retail partners to bring game cards back *soom* (yes I meant sooM). So that is definitely on our list of things to do. We removed the cards because our contract ended with the company that was doing it for us. We are now shopping for a new company to work with.

Finally, APB and FE are VERY different games. What we're doing with APB is in no way influencing FE since the games are so different. There may be great ideas that we may steal from each other but in general we're focusing on making APB more of a MMO Shooter while FE remains a MMORPG.

OH and Ed, the next update for FE WILL include a free respec. I just double checked with Willmon a minute ago. If you look at the respec item on the shop you will see it even says that in its description text.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 3:18PM Space Cobra said

@jmerriex

Thanks for the reply.
1) Yeah, this makes sense. I forgot about all the graphics, especially that some can add, can really tax graphic cards/IP connections to show them on one's screen.

Still, it's a nice mini-game within a game to partake; designing. It's just very fun to work with and some of the limits had me a bit sad.

2) Well, I guess I need to improve my skills. I mean, I thought they were good enough and I did do alright, but I do get pasted with my newb gear. I don't like calling out "aimbots" so I ain't ready to blame that. And I know I have a particular weakness for saving/grinding alot of money for particular high-end stuff, so that is the fault of mine for saving my nickels and dimes for higher stuff.

3) Good to hear, too. I don't mind stealing/impounding car after car, but...gimme variety! ;)

4) And I am glad to hear that. I personally don't mind buying these cards and spending on vanity and other items. I could be a really big spender (and yes, I should be ashamed, but I'm probably one of the guys that buys enough MT's to pay for several folks' sub-fees! XD ). Really, I'd like to open up more character slots just to see how the other servers are and I'd pay for it (and if you gotta chop it back to 2 slots if I slide into f2p, do so, but darken out the other slots ala what Funcom/AoC plans to do when they go f2p).

Now I gotta think if I should reclaim my 9Dragons characters back from my acclaim or just start fresh.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:16PM Ryn said

This is all I have been playing lately and I have gamer ADD like Shawn lol. I think FE merging with Gamers first is going to be very good for FE. The team at FE has been through a lot, and having a financially stable company behind the game now allows the team to stop worrying and concentrate on the task at hand. I really can't see this as anything but good for the game. I held out for a long time subbing to FE because I wasn't sure of how they were going to make a go of it. I didn't want to put work into something that may not be around. A few months ago, I thought ok I'll give it a go. Once the GamersFirst announcement was made I subbed for a year.

No game will be everything everyone wants. It just can't. But I have a feeling that the future of FE will be good. They have already come forward and said they will be releasing new content faster, and adding personnel to the Dev team. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

I have met some great people that have helped out a ton. The community is a good one, always helpful. And the GM's are the best I have ever seen. I am having a great time in FE. In the end, that's all that matters.

Edward - good talking to you the other night in FE. Sorry I bothered you while you were in the middle of PVP though lol.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:50PM Ryukan said

It will be interesting to see how these changes play out and it will be offset by the f2p model so people can at least try things out without having to pay and see if they want to stick with the game and/or sub to it.

I know I will be getting back into Fallen Earth when the changes take place to see how it is. I just hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew and can implement all the changes and new stuff well.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 5:02PM Fakeassname said

uhm, wasn't the bottom level of the sub packages (the $10 one) supposed to be the one that was comparable with the current sub ... at least in features?

in the article you said that the most expensive one was what was going to be comparable to the current sub ...

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 6:23PM josephwillmon said

@Fakeassname The lowest one will be $10, and features-wise will be basically what players are getting right now. The one that costs the same as what players currently pay will be better!

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014