Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:13PM Space Cobra said

Hey, what would be better than this would be space/free-gravity combat.

I know some folks (devs) hate such combat, but it really gives another neat type of battle experience and this just seems inline with such a nice "twist" to a regular fight, PvP or PvE.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:15PM Space Cobra said

@Puremallace

WoW has underwater combats AND you can breathe indefinitely in their underwater zone...

...WITHOUT an Oxygen mask!

I know, RP suffers! :P

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:15PM Razomir said

@Puremallace The simpler the better. And it does make sense. They stated it "breathing apparatus" with the technological savy of the charr and the arcane science of the asura the only debate that could possibly arise is which of the two races created it. But again, the simpler the better so thumbs up from me!

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:26PM Dumac said

• Half a heart
@Razomir
Just calling it a breathing apparatus isn't enough for me... Breathing/air is a unique resource to underwater areas that could be used to challenge the player in a unique environment... Now we're just talking about floating around for no apparent reason. If you (ANet) think managing a resource is not fun why not just get rid of health and energy and give everyone unlimited money.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:27PM Brianna Royce said

@Puremallace Wait, just three years? CoH had flight plus melee combat long before Aion. And I remember the days of raiding in EQ1's underwater Kedge Keep! :D No reason to think it can't be improved, is there?

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:28PM Fabius Bile said

@Puremallace
u were pvping in rift outside a warfront? yeah right, good one lol...

people barely does warfronts, and that just to farm gear...open world pvp in rift is like a sober irish, you can waste your life away looking for one...

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:40PM (Unverified) said

You got to admit, it's getting better. It's getting better. All the time.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:41PM Dunraven said

• Half a heart
A lot of folks are beginning to wonder if Arenanet has actual game or just some tech demos and a lot of promises.

Anyway every time they show something new it looks more like the old Guild wars one graphically and I become less interested.

A lot of that has to do with me playing the hell out of and being amazed by TOR though

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 3:58PM Space Cobra said

@Puremallace

Really, just be patient. The game isn't coming out this year. Go outside. Play another game (like Rift for Puremallace there). Just don't think about it.GW2 will come soon enough and then we can all judge or scream or whatever.

Any type of game or new product or invasion requires planning and preparation. It just ain't ready yet. Pies and souffles take time to bake (and really, don't go using a microwave; oven baking makes it more delicious). Same with this game.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 5:29PM hereafter said

@Space Cobra

I wish there were more folks like you on the TOR forums. People get so worked up over release dates over there.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 4:52AM Lenn said

@Puremallace Why do you treat the MMO world as though it should be in a constant state of war?

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:47PM eyeball2452 said

• 1 heart
I always laugh when I see this as a big feature/reveal. CoH cool, fast paced did z-axis combat in '04 and it was a lot more exciting than slow motion, underwater combat.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather some sort of flying combat vs some sort of underwater combat. Same game mechanics, but underwater context is just boring to me.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:56PM Irem said

@eyeball2452
Motion speed isn't inhibited underwater. I'd prefer flying, myself, but I like the way they've implemented it here quite a bit.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:51PM Irem said

@Puremallace
Actually, being an "RP nerd" myself, I didn't like the whole "you can go underwater at any time and stay there indefinitely" thing -because- it made no sense. The fact that they added a graphical handwave in the form of the breathing mask is awesome to me. They didn't have to do that; they did it for immersion's sake.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:55PM Irem said

@Puremallace
I'm sure I speak for the entire GW2 fan community when I say that I'm thrilled that you love RIFT and are happy with its content. May you spend hundreds of blissful hours exploring the wonders of Telara. I'm sure we, as a group, will collectively miss your presence in GW2, and although I understand that it's hard to let go, I don't want you to feel like you have to force yourself to comment on every single article. We'll carry on without you, somehow, but I appreciate your attempts to dull the pain of your absence with a brave facade of constant negativity.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 3:09PM keinohr said

@Dumac
You're saying that the main focus of every space-, air- and underwarter-combat should be the resource(oxygen/fuel)? To tell you the truth, no one likes it. Blizzard already removed the restrictions in the new areas in cataclysm.

@eyball2452
It's one of many nice reveals to mention because the underwater combat is a different game mechanic. It's not a simply transfered combat mechanic. You have totally different skills and different weapons.
I bet you didn't even bother to read the blog entry.

But my favorite reveal today is the dungeon intro.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 5:30PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
@keinohr again no or little actual game play..something is fishy.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 3:51PM Space Cobra said

@keinohr

Woo! Very nice. I haven't tried to view too many GW2 videos (besides the Engineer) and this is pretty nice.

However, while I appreciate/agree with his comment of "fighting underwater with a timer is a drag", I also appreciate that timer. I guess it gets my adrenaline going in certain events, similar to PvP; you have to do whatever you need to do underwater fast. So, I agree AND disagree. ;)

But wow, not a bad looking game and neat gameplay. My excite-meter went up a few notches.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 4:02PM DJJazzy said

@keinohr

One of the best videos of the game so far. Wish they would put out more of these (or better yet, the game).