Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:07PM Eamil said

@Jade Effect

You'll note that the sentence you quoted does not say or mean "We will not put non-vanity microtransactions in EVE" or even "We have no plans to do so at this time." Just because that newsletter doesn't represent their firm plans doesn't mean that their actual plans are any different, and a lot of people just want reassurance that those kinds of MTs won't be implemented, so the fact that Zulu doesn't answer the question of whether CCP will or won't implement non-vanity microtransactions is not comforting.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:10AM Utakata said

@Jade Effect

You know, this isn't WoW Insider where you can get with that kind of clap trap with up ranked colors...but your "virtues of capitalism" over this just wont work here. Because in a capitalistic sense what CCP is doing incredibley stupid and unecessary....and will likely drive down their bottom line, with so many players probably leaving over this.

Nobody really wants this crap...but they are getting forced fed it. I am not talking about the cash shop items itself, but the idea and principle of it. And the game was just dandy all these years without it with a steady growing subscribership. It now looks like management is poisoning it.

It should also be noted, while this maybe "sparkle ponies"...it's the Blizz cash shop experiement that influenced other gaming companies to unwisely follow suit. As someone has already pointed out, CCP doesn't have the subs to pull this off. And in their case, they're even out doing Blizz in its stupendous pricing. This will likely blow up in their faces....if it hasn't already. So much for the idea "they exist to make money". /shrug

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:18PM Kerr said

Idk if anyone has mentioned this, but on the EVE test server (sisi) the vanity items get destroyed when your clone dies aka you get podded. Now, I don't know for certain if anyone has been killed with any vanity items on the actual EVE server, but if its based off the stuff on the test server, I wish anyone who has gotten anything from that store good luck and hope you don't die. Because when you buy something its a one time deal. so your new clone won't have that shirt, pants and the monocle you got for $100.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:32PM Eamil said

@Kerr

IIRC a dev post the day Incarna launched did say that if you get podded, you'll still keep the items.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:45PM Kerr said

@Eamil

In my two years of playing EVE, the Devs have said many many many things and done everything completely different. Claiming MC will never be a part of eve sometime in 09 or maybe 10, but here it is with an insane price tag at that. Fact is, on the test server that stuff gets destroyed, so I wouldn't be surprised that on the actual server that stuff will also get destroyed.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:46PM Kerr said

@Kerr

sorry, mistake MC=MT

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:43PM (Unverified) said

CEO email leaked telling employees that customers are to be ignored and it will pass as they leave.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 11:35PM Saerain said

• 1 heart
@Oranda Wise man, if that's real.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 2:25AM Space Cobra said

@Oranda

Don't know about "wise" but very interesting reading.

85 monocles already? Quite a bit of money, Aurum-wise. I must say, I am unfortunately not too surprised and it falls in line with what seems to have been long-term plans.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 3:03AM Khai mann said

@Oranda

If they don't listen to what we say, then they might listen to what we do. I've already canceled my 2 accounts.

If people here are so worried about CCP and the future of EVE, why not do the same?

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:47PM Valkesh said

Hypothetical discussion or not, the fact that things like what were stated were even CONSIDERED is appalling. Regardless of what actually makes it in game, their motives and how they see the game and its players are well laid out. There is also no dancing around the statement that World of Darkness will also be focused around micro-transactions. This model is a festering necrosis on the industry that is rotting it away before our eyes.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 10:51PM Valkesh said

Additionally, the clothing explanation is the worst attempt at damage control I've ever heard. If anything it made me more pissed off. Your justification is REALLY that this virtual item that took a handful of hours to slap together is a "deluxe good" and that it should be worth more just because it will make it a better status symbol? It's ignorant classist bullshit in real life, that shit doesn't even come close to flying as an excuse with virtual items...

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 11:23PM Zyrusticae said

@Valkesh

It's also rather telling that they *completely ignore* the isk value of the items in question.

1.4b isk = cost of a friggin' capital ship. No monocle, no matter how rare and valuable, should EVER reach that price. It's terribly immersion-breaking.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:03AM Saerain said

• Half a heart
The EVE community is demonstrating such obtuse ignorance on this matter that I can't believe they work for a living.

This is one of the worst, most exaggerated displays of affirming gamer stereotypes that I've seen from an MMO community. I'm sorry that CCP is actually having to put effort into reading such garbage on their fora.

I used to think EVE players were, on average, the best there were, but this is pathetic. It's as if they're all former Jerry Springer guests.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:38AM Saerain said

@Tempes Magus

1. Citations of what, exactly? I made a statement regarding the attitude of the response, which is apparent by viewing any thread on the official fora (I was not talking about the comments here at Massively, though some of the same is here). You can think the attitude is warranted or not (like I think that my insults are warranted), but neither position consists of a testable truth claim. Both are value judgments and mine is no more valid than theirs at the outset—I'm aware of that.

2. Correct. That's precisely why I think such shit-flinging is distinctly unwarranted. My comments about them are a mirror image of their behavior—I'm aware of that, too.

3. Yep. I tend to agree.

4. I don't like the prices, either, but I hope that ‘tantamount to ransom/robbery’ is intentional hyperbole.

5. You've disproved what? Again, I'm not quite sure I see that I've made a truth claim at all. Disproving what that post of mine said would be like me disproving that CCP is arrogant, smug, out of touch, or evil.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:34AM Controlled Chaos said

Well, if there's one thing about EVE that I always find in these articles, it's that it's far from boring. *chuckles* If it isn't in-game stuff irritating people or causing controversy, it's the fact that it's finally come to the point of realization that developers, on the whole, couldn't give a single crap what their players have to say, so long as they keep paying (there are cases otherwise, but they aren't exactly in the majority). It might be a little harsh to say, but business is business. Veteran player satisfaction has been a casualty for some time. Now it's just a weighing game to see if the pros still outweigh the cons, because, simply put, it's not usually the developers who flinch first. They've worked on this for a while and this is where they think the next step of their game lies. They're not going to back down.

No matter which side of the coin you are on this one, good luck either way.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:20AM SnarkRitter said

Another game developer's jumped the shark, what a sad state the gaming industry has become. I'm an avid EVE player but I've cancelled my sub after reading their plan.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 3:10AM Khai mann said

@SnarkRitter

If more people did the same maybe we would stand a chance. If they want more money they can raise the monthly sub, I can't be bothered about cash shops and MT.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:55AM (Unverified) said

i think they just broke their own game, and nothing will fix it again

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM