Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:48PM Alamar01 said

I'm sorry, but I just do not understand those that enjoy the current state of SWG. I guess I can understand how players who joined later, after the NGE are ok with it, but it baffles me how any pre-CU vet can still even play the game.

SWG today has a lot of bells and whistles. Let's be honest here folks, after much of the complexity was removed from the original game with the NGE (and some with the CU), the dev team has supplemented a lack of complexity with new content. That would be all well and good if the content was engaging new landscapes, themeparks and massive new game changers. But, however, the new content pretyy much comes in the form of new items for players to horde and aesthetic character customization options. Yay?

Give me the ability to choose to create a hybrid character out of ~33 professions, the old combat system and even hologrinding (hey, its better than The Village and a heck of a lot better than the current system). Give me nightly 50v50 pvp battles in player cities. Give me any of these things that made pre-CU SWG so awesome instead of a shiny new YT-1300 that I can plop down in a player city and use as a house. Yay?

To say that SWGs current playerbase is active and strong is simply false. If it was truly as strong as some reports on here (usually by current NGE-only players mind you) say, then SOE wouldn't have had to drop 12 servers. Starsider is one of the ONLY servers that can even begin to be considered "active". So, nice, you lucked out on choosing that server. If you were like me and many many other SWG vets, your server would have been one of the 12 closed in October of 2009 -- well, looks you we just picked the wrong server to play on huh?

The current combat system is awful. Pvp has been reduced down to a button-mashing spamming of AoE skills with constant small explosions and flashing lights radiating from a small group of players running around each other shooting heavy weapons in the center of the small storm. I'd like a system that takes skill -- hey! -- like the pre-CU system!

If SOE was even remotely competent, the would have realized that the game as it was pre-CU was a solid foundation, one that needed some care and maintenance, not demolishing. They could have taken what was good about pre-CU and fixed broken systems like smuggler, battlegrounds (yes folks, those large empty circular areas surrounded by spires actually served a purpose -- albeit very briefly), and a list of other medium sized tweaks. Instead, they made what would go down as one of the worst game development choices in the history of gaming and chose to completely re-work the entire game -- twice in the same year!

I read an article in some gaming magazine a few years back that said in future game design classes, SOE's implementation of the CU?NGE would likely be used as a textbook example of what not to do to your playerbase. I couldn't agree more.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:21PM Luna111 said

@Alamar01
Pre NGE and Pre CU vet here. All I can say is, I am glad a friend invited me back recently and I decided to go in with an open mind. The game can still be played the way it was before, for the most part. I was able to get rid of the ridiculous chase camera. Got my auto-target back. Ignored the quest line and didn't worry about levels, and just played the game. The most important thing: that open world is still there. It's what I truly loved about SWG... the exploration possibilities, the mining, the housing, the ambiance... just "being" in the world. SWG was and still is a sandbox, is still unique among all the other MMOs in that regard.

Much to my amazement, I was having fun. No, it's not the exact same game it was before the NGE, nor is it the same game it was just after. It has redeemed itself in many ways, and it still is that core game that it was before..

And remember how much people griped before? They wanted something different than what they had, they got it, and they hated it. They think on that pre-NGE game now with more fondness than they ever did before it was altered. Yes, SOE screwed up, but so did the playerbase who didn't see what an awesome game they had, flaws and all.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 5:48PM (Unverified) said

Someone PLEASE explain the whole NGE/CU update DEBATE I always see people whining about. I'm curious to know what really changed??

In other mmos, I see a lot of little babies whine about "nerfs" or whatever else changes made to their specific class, when all they have to do is just learn to play the character a slightly different way. Seems to me a lot of people that have problems with class/race/spec changes just wanna keep using the same 2-3 abilities over and over again, instead of actually learning to play.

BUT, I know it has to be MUCH MORE than that with this NGE/CU debate. Can someone please explain what people have been crying about? From what I read, all the games CONTENT stayed the same(nothing was taken away or changed, expect for new stuff being added) classes seemed to be the same, and i just dont get it.

How can an update or two make soo many people QUIT a game when the games content stayed on track? I could never leave a game I loved based on small changes, so something BIG had to have happend to piss off these kids.

So, any answers? I wanna play SWG, but i really wanna know what happend.

PLEASE HELP - thanks! STAR WARS ROCKS!

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 3:34AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

What Kamileon says, but I'll give you more examples.

Classes changed pretty drastically and so did the whole mechanics of classes. Some classes were cut from the game and others were sorta made into a skill tree (Beast Mastery).

Take your standard game with levels and getting new powers. You get enough xp, you hit a new plateau. SWG had very different mechanics for leveling that were a bit more flexible. Before NGE, you had points and you could cross-class alot more, but you only had so many points and had to choose if you wanted to focus or put a bit here and a bit there and so on. Basically, you could multi-class to your heart's content. Also, the game was more reliant on other players helping you level. To learn a new skill after getting so much xp with it, you needed a class trainer who was ANOTHER PLAYER. You also needed to teach another player, too.

I guess a current loose (and poor) analogy would be Champions Online with it's character system. After NGE, they threw all that out and made it more like "WoW" and EQ. No more picking what you wanted to focus on. It was more how you alloted a certain number of points into your choices than just gaining levels and automatically gaining skills and going into a limited profession tree similar to WoW.

There's more, but that was one of the big parts. really, it's like they totally switched to another system/game.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 12:42AM Kamileon said

I feel a little sad, reading this after just receiving the closure notice... Honestly, though, I haven't really felt like playing much since the NGE.

To Unverified...It was a lot more than you think. Everything changed. Suddenly the whole crafting system changed, all the professions became basically generic, anyone could be a Jedi (It used to take a VERY long time and a lot of hard work. Heck, it took a bit of work just to become Force Sensitive)...

It wasn't the same game at all anymore. The changes weren't small in any way. Why do you think Sony actually apologized? Yeah, it took them a long time, but they did.

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 3:36AM Space Cobra said

Yes, and Ironic article is Ironic. :/

Looks like the only thing that may be graceful about the game's future now is how it heads off into the sunset. :/

Posted: Jun 25th 2011 1:21PM Luna111 said

SWG will be missed. I truly feel for those who have been with the game for years. This will be difficult for them in a way that SOE and Lucasarts suits will never understand.

As for me, this will be the second and final time I say goodbye to SWG. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to dump my resentment of it before the lights go out .

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly