Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 4:37PM Beau Hindman said

I still love the game. I love collecting mounts, owning a house and exploring. While I do all my silly non-combat stuff, I'll take an occasional break and work on the Jabba quests.

It's great for roleplay, too. I'd like to see many of the more modern MMOs in 8 years! I doubt they would be as rich and immersive as SWG is.

Beau

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 4:59PM Zantom said

@Beau Hindman

I totally agree. It is the best MMO for non-combat play. I know there are others (like Wurm) but over all I just prefer it the best.

It also has a killer space combat game, and the ground combat could be worse (though it isn't stellar by any means).

I just love the little email alert sound when you log in :) yay! more vendor sales!

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:55PM bobfish said

@Beau Hindman

Agreed, many people seem to forget that is was primarily the ground combat that was ruined in with the NGE update. The rest of it has remained largely the same or even improved since then.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 4:48PM tk421242 said

Agreed.

Most games community swells and then dies out after just a short time, SWG seems to have maintained a solid and dedicated base. It also helps that even all these years later they still in my opinion have the best player housing system.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 4:50PM Lockisezmode said

• Half a heart
If you call what SWG has become gracefully aging then Hellgate London had the best aging ever.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:01PM Zantom said

@Lockisezmode

The game engine itself, I believe has aged very gracefully. The graphics and character models are still some of the best out there when you crank the settings and have the hardware to support.

The game mechanics and design, well it would have been graceful and aged just fine if it weren't for the infamous NGE obviously...

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 6:12PM JaySpeed said

• 1 heart
@Zantom WHAT? You think SWG has good graphics and character models compared to other MMO's? Maybe compared to something like WoW or other older MMO's but it doesn't come close to the graphics of DX10/DX11 MMO's like AoC, Aion, LOTRO, Rift. And rightfully so it shouldn't, it launched years before those games but you can't make such a claim with a straight face. SWG doesn't have dynamic shadows and the textures are a blurry mess. I apologize if this was a joke post and I missed the sarcasm.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:27PM Daemodand said

@JaySpeed You think LOTRO character models are better than SWG? LOL

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:01PM Zantom said

@Monkey D Luffy

Clever

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:02PM Lateris said

I always loved that town because of the Star Wars feel it had to it. The story tools for SWG are one of the best.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:03PM smg77 said

• Half a heart

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 6:26PM Azules said

@smg77
The writers like something you don't, they're clearly 'white knighting'. Derp. I don't think you understand what the term means.

If they were addressing criticisms and trying to debunk or argue them, they'd possibly be seen as white knighting, but they aren't. They're just talking about what they like and enjoy in the game as it stands.

Your opinion is no more valid than theirs is, cause yaknow, it's just an opinion.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 6:42PM Brianna Royce said

@smg77 It's the eight anniversary for one of the best sandboxes in existence. That's why we're talking a lot about SWG this week.

-Bree

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 7:21PM Lateris said

I agree the card game aced some of the player crafting market but the community of SWG Are really, really nice people who love the content. I hope SWG will keep going after TOR releases= happy 8 years star sider! Love you SR!!!!!!

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 9:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@smg77
"Why has Massively been white knighting SWG so much lately? Is this some sort of stealth marketing from SOE?

SWG is horrible now and 99% of all content that gets added is for their stupid card game."

I'm wondering the same thing. There must be nothing else going on with MMOs these days. Hopefully with the anniversary over SWG will slip back into a well deserved oblivion.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:20PM Scarecrowe said

I think we define "gracefully" very differently.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:23PM Nepentheia said

And Anarchy Online will be 10 years old on the 27th of June. :-)

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 6:01PM stealthrider said

@Integral

Every goddamn time an SWG article pops up you say the same thing.

Effing troll.

@everyone else

Show me WoW's non-combat systems. Show me AoC's housing/player cities (and I don't mean instanced guild cities). Show me TOR's RP tools. Show me almost any great feature in any game and I'll show you SWG's equivalent.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 10:59PM KvanCetre said

@stealthrider
How about a decent leveling system?

I thought about coming back once... but then I found out my character which was maxed out in exp, mastered every type of pistol I could... was translated to something like level 60/90.

I just gave up at that point.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 6:15PM JaySpeed said

• 1 heart
SWG is a horrid game but it definately has the best non combat mechanics of any MMO out there. Entertainers, crafting, and housing should all be used as the standard for MMO's. But that alone isn't enough to make me pay $15 a month.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM