Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:08PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I want the game in the movie trailers, gameplay graphics need a overhaul before this launches, looks very poor quality. Also I think many of us hoped that secret world would be completely filled with puzzles, mystery, secret, codes, and from what gameplay video we've seen, and talk from development it seems to be just anouther MMO with the theme of mysterous things.

More importantly, to many players were burned from AoC, SW's team needs to distance themselves and acknowledge the flaws the AoC management team had. Players are not even going to pick this up due to mass failure of AoC, quoting, "No way, not if it's Failcom." all the way to a different game.

Win players over with a open beta, and get moving, because SW won't hold a dime to GW2, Tera,SWTOR, and existing MMOs. Make no mistake you have to earn any success.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:34PM Azules said

@(Unverified) Honestly, I don't think they will have a problem getting people in, AoC or not, the game is gonna be free to play, and considering what they've got so far, most people would say it was worth a download.

No price sticker, no deterrent.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:56PM paterah said

@(Unverified) The game has many puzzlues, codes, nation wide missions that might take even months to complete etc...

Also quoting a dev few days ago something about "gameplay graphics":

"Generally, we want people to be able to see what they are doing when they are outside at night.
However there are specific places in the game where light/darkness are used as gameplay elements and you will need to bring a light source (or find one)"
"It's real time lighting calculated in the engine, so yes, if the particle is setup as a light source you can use it to find your way. I wouldn't recommend just walking around as a human flamethrower, however. You might accidentally burn one of the things sleeping in the darkness..."

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:58PM Tom in VA said

@(Unverified)

I disagree.

I think TSW will blow TERA out of the water, frankly, and may be able to hold its own against GW2 (no subscription competition there) and SWTOR (very different sort of game, imo).

Thus far, I think TSW looks very promising indeed.

The big question I have is what is WoW going to do to compete with games such as these? That'll be most interesting to see.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 1:22PM Lateris said

@(Unverified) I think when Craig Morrison took over AoC their was a ton of acknowledgment of what was wrong with AoC like no content from lvl so and so, etc. I did read that the current producer for TSW stated that all NPC's will have voices compared to AoC that does not, which he stated was a mistake.

I am hoping for a good launch as well with a game that is finished for release. I really do like the concept of no levels with 500 skills. I also see the typical MMORPG elements of game play which to me are inescapable to a small degree.

I am hoping for that sense of exploration into the unknown as well. But I am going to play this game based on what I have see so far. I am more interested in this game than TOR due to the skill system.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 1:45PM NeverDeath said

@Tom in VA

The answer is :WoW will do nothing to compete, which is pretty much what it's been doing, stagnating and riding out the complacency train as it falls to Blizzard's backburner and the bottom of their priority list. Their attention has clearly been focused elsewhere for a couple of years, as evidenced by numerous instances of recycled content, a complete surgical bisection of any level of challenge from its gameplay, and the oversimplification of all of its systems, from classes to raids.

Most of the people who still play WoW are the newer players, like the Wrath-Noobs and those that came afterward. This speaks to the game's dwindling longevity, as once players (who don't suck at MMOs) have learned the game and have amassed some experience within it, they will eventually (usually soon, with the way the game is today) come to the point where it just isn't challenging anymore. Blizzard lost WoW's core fan base years ago, and has been filling up with casuals since then. While there is nothing wrong with appealing to the lowest common denominator as they are the majority, it has led to the horrendous community WoW has long been known for, because at the end of the day, the casuals come and the casuals go, that is why they are casuals.

If your game can't hold the attention of real gamers, who would have stuck around for many years - possibly until the servers shut down (as gamers tend to do when they find a game they really love), you're going to end up with a community full of people who aren't that invested in and don't really care about the game. In the long term, that has detrimental effects on the game itself, and when combined with a company like Blizzard who praises this pandering as a good thing because of all the money it makes as casuals leave and are replaced by new casuals, it becomes a cycle that is perpetual.

Gamers know that WoW has been, for a few years now, throwaway content. A game full of things to do that can be fun in small bursts, but are so simple and hollow, devoid of difficulty, strategy and any interesting mechanics that balance risk versus reward instead of merely offering reward for time invested... And a game like that is destined, in time, for failure. Blizzard had one more chance with players like me, in Cataclysm to show me that they were going to turn this boat around and replace the fail with a sail, and they started out promising and quickly blew their potential, only wedging themselves deeper into the practice of handholding casuals. I'm glad they lost 600K players and I hope they continue to lose more, because frankly Blizzard is the laziest company in the MMO world when compared by ratio of personnel&financial resources to the amount and quality of content generated. It's sickening, actually.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 2:41PM fallwind said

@NeverDeath I have a full time job and a family, I happen to like my gaming in small chunks. What I didn't like was logging in, doing 20-odd dailies to get anywhere, spent 50 min in a LFG queue, and having my favorite role reduced to "how long can I make the healer's mana bar last". Cata has no soul, no spark, I never felt like I was leading the charge to take down DW.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:12AM NeverDeath said

@fallwind

That's exactly my point. Dailies aren't content, they're a way for a developer to feign content while doing the minimal amount of work necessary. Cata has no soul, but neither did Wrath, so anyone who's shocked obviously hasn't followed the game very closely in recent years.

Also lol@ all the Blizzard fanboys downrating comments. I love how Youtube and Massively allow suppression of freedom of speech so that the majority can continue patting each other on the backs and pretending they aren't brainless and incapable of structuring a logical argument to counter even the most minor points. What a world we live in.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 2:23PM Valdur said

TSW will do fine ,I'm not expecting it to have a million players but it will have a strong community and true RPG lovers.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 3:08PM pcgneurotic said

"This is the history of an area ... the footprints of the secret societies and their past conflicts; the truth behind the local myths and legends; the echoes of ancient magic and forgotten rituals."

This is exactly how every good CoC GM used to write their scenarios; if they can transfer that idea to an MMORPG, then I'm in like Nyarlathotep's fart.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 7:10PM Pars18 said

The descriptions they keep turning out sound great on paper- and this is Funcom, so I have no doubt that they can deliver a decent story.

What worries me is that they keep releasing the same "story" over and over again, as progress reports, rather than showing their ideas for The Secret World in action.

"Mystery and intrigue". Ok. Sounds great.
"Urban Fantasy". Not bad, I can get on board with that.
But what id really like to see is some footage with people actively working through those scenarios. Show me a team running through an instance!
Even something small, like the character creation prototype, would be nice.

The lack of actual gameplay coverage concerns me.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 7:44PM Graill440 said

Hmmm, if i were to build my own world..... A hefty dose of what if. First I am not totally up to speed on the best and brightest out there talentwise, sure i have RTI to fall back on and plenty of contacts but talent and current tech seeing i have been out of the loop for nearly ten years? Much research to be done.

Before even imagining an idea or concept world.....

Funding!! i need to be sickeningly rich, multi-billionaire rich, first off because i would not deal with any of the companies in existance, they simply do not care about the gamers, only the bottom line.

First order of busines would be the tech, whats the newest and most capable out there, capabilities, what the engine can or cannot do, can it be modified on the fly, under operation, etc. The specs will be high, sorry folks with lower end computers, no fudging here.

Next would be the talent, if any interviews included the word passion for gaming they simply wouldnt get the job, i want talent for programming, not folks with dreams of grandeur in playing games, my SME's are for that. We would go with some established younger folks mixed in with some unkown but competant folks as the older talent thinks they *knowitall*.

This would be a great time to purge the current lot of developers and get them replaced with the real unkown talent currently being held down by the "good ol boy" system. Devs today would rather be rich and famous by releasing half baked goods (that cannot be refunded) than to be fired because they would not compromise their standards.

Next would be to hire several SME's, subject matter experts, independants in their fields (sound, graphics, story, entertainment study, demographics), and in no way connected to the project except for critique purposes in directed areas.

Next would be the team lead, someone with balls, the ability to hire and fire after review if folks do not work out and also willing to listen and change plans if an employee has a better idea for something, the goal here is product, not to become famous or infamous. Always do the hard, right thing, report problems whether your responsible or not.

Now for the idea and concept world, A couple or three sme's will take a year at least, maybe two, to roam the country/world/traveling gaining insight to what is wanted by the current set of humans on the planet seeking entertainment, the majority idea wins this part of the research, keeping in mind it is an MMO. Will it be PVP only? Will it be RP? PVE? PVPRPRPG? PVEVP? Laugh, who knows.

Implementation of the project, choice first and foremost, consequence will be a big part. You will have noticed i have not picked a theme, this is on purpose because i have no idea what the majority wants at this point in time, but you folks get the idea. The rest is building it, testing, hiring some random potential subscribers and paying them for the test time and also making them legally responsible for actions, leaking information, failure to test properly etc, hey everything comes at a price (Grin). Testers would be well paid.

When a limited number of testers, whether Q/A or Alpha/Beta are paid and face legal consequence a better product will be produced, this is a fact, this will also prevent the smattering of what most folks are, testing posers, those looky loos just wanting to get ingame to play something not released yet. Problems are identified and retested by the submitter, this is a huge undertaking in itself.

As an example when i began as a Q/A all those decades back i submitted nearly 600 QDR's a week and had to restest those submissions to verify the problem was fixed, alot of late nights, early mornings and the hate of every phd in the building for all of us (we prevented them from moonlighting, teaching to grab extra cash teaching, they absolutely hated this. *smile*). this requires a mass of programmers and a set number of testers, no more than 20 folks, because if doing the math, the potential for reports becomes unmanageable depending on the scope of the project. Things that fall through the cracks result in the big things that break a project.

Stress testing would be done with programmed bots. They are faster than humans, can access information on the fly and can be created/dismissed at will to show varying loads........I know the gaming industry uses computerized load testing...right? laugh, i doubt it, some old tech that still has purpose today but is likely dismissed.

And the projects name is.....Q.

Yep, lots to think about and do here. I need to talk to Bill Gates. Grin.