Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 10:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm an old school space combat guy, I wonder if this would rekindle that old spark.

Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, Privateer, Freespace, Freelancer.... I cannot count how many times I've gone through those games in the past.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 10:28PM tephys said

@(Unverified) It feels alot like those games.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 11:10PM Hookan91 said

@(Unverified) There is some much awesome games in your comment. The best Space Simulators of all time (Privateer is also good, but that would be in Wing Commander franchise). I was thinking, since Halo : Combat Evolved is getting a HD version, why not Freelancer?

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 11:50PM Tovrin said

@JohnLane I thought they already said that SWOTR's space combat was on rails. How can that compare to free flight?

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 12:38AM mechanicalturk said

@Tovrin

lololol troll is lololol ... Best bet is to not feed it.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 1:14AM (Unverified) said

@JohnLane

When are they going to ban this guy?

Massively please.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 2:43AM Russell Clarke said

If you can get past their account management system, you are very lucky. Best wishes.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 6:32AM b3n said

Hmm? I didn't even know it had been released yet.

I was in the closed beta (UK) but I didn't try to play very much - didn't really like it.

And yeah the account system was extremely challenging.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 9:18AM Carolina said

The game looks amazing, but I found it too difficult to pilot the airship and shoot at the same time. Haven't found a good config on those yet.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 11:39AM dudemanjac said

I wish they would finally release this in the US. I' was in closed EU beta and have no desire to start over again in open US beta just to add another wipe to all the others I went through.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 1:47PM Dixa said

this game is only a shadow of what was oringally promised.

not entirely reakktors fault. they had to sell to gamigo to keep going and now use the typical korean-esque f2p system which means after you finish the prologue:

1) no story content. you just grind missions from stations. the same mission over and over and over

2) only one ship, people. that's all you get

3) shields are useless in pve and pvp due to mass concerns

4) due to the real time aiming aspect of teh game lag is a real issue, and the game is being run on second-rate hardware which can at times make the entire experience frustrating and there's nothing you can do to fix it on the players end

5) crafting can fail and take everything you found to craft. you have to grind for hours on end just to find the blueprint to grind and unlike eve, blueprints are all single use

6) modifying an item takes 25 minutes. that's not a typo. you can do nothing else while it's going

and lastly:

7) it's got a grind that sets in at level 7 that makes the baby raptor jebus cry

avoid this game. heck, vindictus has more actual content than this.

Posted: Jun 24th 2011 7:05PM dudemanjac said

@Dixa

1) There is actual missions related to the overall story after the prologue. But yes most of what you will be missions from the station that sometimes have different objectives. And isn't this artical about them adding more?

2) That depends on what you mean. Like any MMo you only have one character. Like any mmo you get to change parts to make your ship look different. Every part of your ship can be changed so no you do not only get one ship. Each side has a particular style of ship. You will always either have your wings directly above and below you, or they will be to the side jutting out in front. There are different styles of wings engines and cockpits and you decide how many and which types of guns you carry offering a wide variety of play styles.

3) What mass concerns? Last I knew when the game went open beta in EU, shields were a big deal to have because they made your ship heavy. Again, Playstyle choice.

4) Even as an American playing on the German servers, the lag was hardly an issue for aiming. You learn the lead time and it wasn't that big an adjustment. The second rate hardware was probably on your end.

5) Didn't deal too much with crafting, but I would ask when you stopped playing, as there were know issues when I stopped open EU beta. Grind implies that that's all you were out doing was looking for blue prints. As fas as I know they were all random but there were some as mission rewards.

6) I don't know if they ever fixed this. The one thing that frustrated us is that no one would ever tell us if this was by design or a glitch that they hadn't fixed.

I don't know what has been added in my absence, but yes there was some grinding going on.