Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 2:31PM mikejl said

"It's faster to get experience and gear solo"

One reason I love CO. I don't like playing with other people.. however love MMOs.

MMOs and me is like the movie Clerks:

Dante Hicks: You hate people!
Randal Graves: But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 3:18PM gandales said

I think it is about teaming because you want not because you have to or being bribed by sort of xp/loot deal.

The issue sometimes in teams is that players tend to get used to be self-sufficient and have some problems working as a team. Without assisting the tank, aggro leaks will surely arise and the healer will often be the first to fall.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 3:44PM Daverator said

@gandales

The point of the article is that if you look at the system now. The players a being bribed to NOT group.

X amount of time is rewarded more for soloing than grouping (even ignoring the time spent finding the group).

I don't think having more people should increase the quality of loot, but it could give you a chance to pick up an extra piece based off of the time difference.

IE if an Average(median?) Solo Elite Resistence run took 2 hours, and an average 5 man took 3 hours, then you'd have a 50% chance to have an extra drop on the bosses.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 9:30PM gandales said

@Daverator

I have to disagree. If compare to games like CoH where teaming is pretty much the only way aside from powerlevling to avoid a painful leveling. The bribe to solo in CO is mainly that teaming by itself can be a hassle often in pugs. I am not going to bore people with pug hell stories, since most players know their own share. One critic I said to CO vs CoH teaming is that CoH teaming is a lot of more lenient to teammates' screwups. Trash tactic gather with tanking aura to a corner and let the dps aoe them (nova nova), while the healer comfortably keep the tank on max hp.

I agree with Patrick that SL is pretty much hell for teams. However, Resistance is a lot of more team friendly than DF or SL. A team expending 3 hours there is mainly because lack of coordination. There epic and costume drops are for every member of the team.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 4:15PM DarkWalker said

IMHO, loot "epicness" should be tuned according to difficulty (though I don't think gear obtained from different difficulties should be much better, stat-wise, but instead more like cool badges of honor), and loot quantity tuned according to the time it takes to run the content, with a bias towards granting more (but not better) loot per character per time invested for larger groups.

The caveat being that solo play should have the same difficulties available as group play.

This is, in part, because of how I react to difficulty: I love to face big challenges in solo play, but I don't take nearly as well to the risk of wipes when playing with strangers. If solo content was harder than raids, I would be a happy gamer indeed.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 7:10PM Wieland said

Oh, CO.
Wanted to come back today after a long time.
Well, my char is no longer playable, seems i would have to convert him into something completely different.
The forums are no longer accessible to ask what the fuck is going on.
Free to Play?
Even in LOTRO i can play my old chars after the FTP conversion.
Screw CO.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 11:03PM Zuljundwumn said

What was the point of this column ?

Posted: Jul 29th 2011 11:48PM MadBDShimmer said

Yeah I don't like grouping much. I can do that lair duo. It's hard but possible. There's pets and hybrid builds involved but a lot of people I know on my friends list I brought to this game (about a mere 43 people) all play at different hours and just want to solo or duo. That's why we like Champions.

CoH's end game forced a bunch of grouping at odd hours on a pretty much empty game it was impossible, plus I hate playing with strangers. I found champions to be solo friendly even on 5 man content, told them and 43 of 61 of my CoH friends went to Champions. Most solo but a few duo. I hope this never changes or the rewards. Stuff costs so much on the auction house like Therakiel's sword because greedy people price it so high, I know people from the CO forums who bought g off sites just to buy this. They didn't want to but there's no way to make 4000 fast for any of them.

And for the LoTRO person, you have to group with strangers in there to do all the end-game content. A lot of people can't sit at the computer that long. At least when cheating and running hacks in LoTRO to do Lothlorien or Moria, we can go afk for 10 mins or 20 without a group of players whining. LOTRO is great to cheat in. It's impossible for the devs to catch.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly