Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:13PM bobfish said

It won't be an MMO, if it was they would've had the announcement line up with E3 because it would've been a show stealer.

I suspect its nothing more than an elaborate Potter portal, containing everything a fan would ever need. The ARG is probably there to help it grow.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:14PM Space Cobra said

Well, if the memo is true...

...maybe I'll give it a try...

...and push all these little kids outta the way as I fight for these wands hidden in the real world and laugh at them while I, a grown man, holds the object of their desire!

Call me "Bully Voldemort!" :P

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:20PM bluesoul said

This sounds more like a precursor to an MMO than the MMO itself. These ARGs always seem to stir the Internet hive-mind.

Also it seems to me there's a lot of potential for an MMO in that universe, it's probably the biggest that doesn't have one right now. JK Rowling is just money hungry (and technophobic) enough to make players go to Hogwarts for 7 real-life years.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:23PM thedude657 said

I hate waiting!!!!!! Whatever it will be Im sure it will be top notch and fun :)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:35PM Dunraven said

Yes I'm sure Pedomore will be very umm popular.

queue creepy carnival music.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:40PM whateveryousay said

Sounds more like a publicity stunt or some sort of viral marketing scheme than anything else.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:46PM mikejl said

I'll play the Neville Longbottom tank class.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:47PM HokieKC said

Probably just some browser-based game with chat boards on the website.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 3:12PM HokieKC said

I just looked at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website and there are no trademarks that sound anything like an MMO. There are six total trademarks and it definitely sounds like this is some sort of Harry Potter portal with games, videos, chat boards, links, and an online store.

Only the second trademark even mentions games; "Entertainment services, namely, providing a web site featuring film clips, photographs and other multimedia materials featuring downloadable music clips, videos and games; providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed by a telecommunications network;"

Sure sounds like web-based games to me.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 4:11PM bobfish said

@HokieKC

Only reason people think it is an MMO is because Warner are plastered all over it. But they have the rights to all Harry Potter digital media, so ANYTHING that is digital, whether it is a game or just a website is going to have them on it.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 3:13PM j1083 said

As long as I don't have to see anything remotely like "need 3 more healers for the dementor raid, wand score of 257+ or don't bother, full on Huflepuffs."

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 3:25PM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure of the value-added to MMOs base on beloved existing works of fiction, either for the gamer or developer. After all, the most successful MMO out there is not based on a non-game IP.

I think there might be an issue that people who are truly invested in the world as imagined in other media might be shy of having a game modify or distort their memories of it. I'm not a Harry Potter fan particularly (although I've read the books and seen the movies). I am a major Lord of the Rings fan, however. Whe LotRO came out, I jumped on it. And was stoked to be able to walk through The Shire, etc. And I thought -- and still do -- it was a quite good game.

However, soon I decided that the compromises, mechanics etc. necessary to make it into a game world had an effect of creating a less "real" world from this work for me. And I figured that spending hours per week playing in this compromised version of it would eventually lead to IT being Middle Earth to me since Inwould clock more hours is LotRO than it in any other media.

Thus, I decided to go to MMOs where the worlds they create could be experienced and fallen in love with on their own terms.

Star Wars may be the exception, in that although beloved, it's canon is much looser, and it's 'action' a lot more video game like in the first place. Also, Bioware wisely chose to set their games far away from the events in the movies. I actually thought LotRO should have done similar, as they too have thousands of years of pre-LotR Middle Earth history to work with.

Harry Potter doesn't, of course, really have this option.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 5:29PM chuckasucka said

Well, expelliarmus me and call me a death eater!

Can't wait to see what this is all about. Definitely not a game, but .... some sort of .... activity.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:51PM Utakata said

I wish they call it something else. Everytime I read it...I keep thinking of some site that sells items to help toilet train your child. :(

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 10:10PM Jade Effect said

I'm intrigued by what the memo calls a "sophisticated online game". The game will likely be grilled mercilessly for that adjective, much has how Rift was when it dared to call itself "innovative".

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 7:19AM Fabius Bile said

they should update this post.

the announcement is out.
as expected, not an MMO.
Not even a game

The only thing I have gotten out of this, is that The Atlantic is not a reputable source for news anymore...

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 8:38AM JuliusSeizure said

@Fabius Bile

Funny thing, it's precisely what I expected it to be. Every single thing J.K. mentioned I anticipated and everything I anticipated she mentioned.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:54PM Saerain said

@JuliusSeizure It's what the trademark and the leaked screenshots from more than a week ago showed. The rumors of it being a game seemed to come out of no evidence at all.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 8:33AM AnotherPint said

it's says leave your email address and I see the banner above "Sony".