Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 5:31PM (Unverified) said

I must admit I am SO excited by this, as an old CoH player who gave it up for financial reasons I'm really looking forward to this. Bring it on :)

I wonder if we'll have to buy things like Going Rogue or if that's going to be in for free...will be interesting to see.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:12PM (Unverified) said

@Tempes Magus

I'm not completely sure that GR won't be included for the 'VIP' players. If you look at the side-by-side comparison they have posted it lists Going Rogue as 'included' under the VIP column but 'purchasable' for all others.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:35PM (Unverified) said

@Tempes Magus

That's still more free than GR currently is. Assuming I'm not reading it wrong it basically means everyone who didn't already purchase GR effectively gets it for 'free' as long as they're paying the subscription.

I'm honestly not sure how LotRO handles things. I played it a bit both before and after it went free, but I was never a subscriber to the game after it did go freemium and it was a while ago to boot.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 7:14PM (Unverified) said

@Tempes Magus

Still though, it's not 'not free' it's a 'it's free if'.

Anyhoo, assuming things don't drastically change after the first issue under the 'freemium' plan is released the $15 I spend every month should hopefully equal out to more than just an expensive way to get 400 points. Aside from all the money you'd have to spend in order to 'buy' all the potential lost character slots (12 per server down to 2 across all servers) they're promising a story arc per month free to the 'VIP' accounts (we'll see if they manage in time I suppose) and I-21 has at the very least a zone's worth of content and a power set 'free' to the 'VIP' folks.

It could easily not continue along those lines, and depending on the person that may not be worth $15 a month, but at least I'm hoping it eventually works out to be more than 400 points a month anyway.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 7:39PM (Unverified) said

@Tempes Magus

The current status of things is if you pay your $15 a month and haven't purchased the expansion you don't get it.

After the game goes 'f2p' if you pay your $15 a month then you don't have to buy the expansion.

It is effectively, for the people who are subscribers, free, included, no extra charge. That's my point. I suppose you'll say since they're subscribing then it's by definition not free (like they didn't give people access to CoV free ages back, they had to pay a subscription for it to be added to their account for no extra charge), but call it a perk or a bonus then.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:02PM (Unverified) said

That's much as I'd have assumed, for such a recent expansion it just made sense. I assume however that people will be able to buy it and then play the content under the Free2Play model still - much how LOTRO does with Mines of Moria and the like? I've yet to see an official statement on such a thing but hey - it'll all come :)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:20PM madcartoonist said

hmm... might see how much the complete edition is selling for on amazon. Might be cheaper to pick it up now then buying it through the online store later. It was that way with Lotro at least when you could find Mines of Moria for less then 10 bucks.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:47PM madcartoonist said

@Tempes Magus

Downloading the trial now. If I think I'll like it enough I'll buy the box.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:54PM Stormwalker said

Basically what is going to happen is this: The two original tutorial zones for heroes and villains (Outbreak and Breakout) are going away (though will still be available through the flashback system for badge collecting), and replaced by this new co-op tutorial, which is a ruined Galaxy City. The original Galaxy City zone is going bye-bye as well, as a result (though will likewise be an "echo" in the flashback system). Players can now start as any archetype and THEN choose to go hero or villain at the end of the new GC tutorial.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:56PM Stormwalker said

@Tempes Magus Time Manipulation won't be the only new powerset. In a ustream chat today, Paragon confirmed there will be at least one other new powerset besides Time, but they're keeping what it is a secret for now.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 7:19PM (Unverified) said

@Stormwalker

If today's 'Mild Mannered Reporter' column is to be believed, the other powerset is 'two-handed weapons. Assuming, of course, I read the article correctly.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 9:16AM gandales said

Sounds fun to play CoH a bit again. I wonder if the char slots I bought long time ago will count as extra besides the 2 given for free. I wonder which powersets will be the ones to be premium. I have a few 50s I wonder.

Writing this, it came to my mind, there will be 2 char slots free per server or in general?

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 1:53PM (Unverified) said

@gandales
If you bought the slots you'll get to keep them (along with the 'free' ones they've given out for various reasons), but you won't have the 12 on every server unless you pay the monthly subscription.

Basically you'll have tokens that equal up to the slots you bought, the slots they've given for free that your account had, and the two starter slots they give free accounts. You then go through and unlock the characters you want to play.

So yea, it's two slots total for free players.

Or at least that's how they've explained it so far.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 12:14PM Raithnor said

From what I understand from some of the Dev Posts in the Forums is that if you've previously purchased Going Rogue, you'll still have access to it if you go "F2P"/non-VIP.

Depending on what you want out of the game it might even be possible to purchase enough slots for your active characters, get the required channel access and not have to worry about paying for the sub fees.

Until we actually see what we can and can't buy from the store it's hard to say what going from a VIP to Premium will actually look like after purchasing all of the one-time costs.